Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #693405 14th Mar 2018 9:29pm
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
Not a good day today...

Took my dad into town the other day and he noticed a chuffing sound, found it was blowing air through an injector. Initially I was relieved because it sounded exactly the same as when the head gasket was blowing on the old engine and a new copper washer is a lot easier than a head gasket. Should be an easy fix I thought especially as those injectors had only been in about 3000 miles.

Anyway, that injector was stuck solid. I don't have a slide hammer so used a spanner to turn it. Eventually it loosened up and I kept twisting until it pulled out Very Happy but turns out it was so well stuck in that I'd actually only loosened the top half and unscrewed from the bottom half with the bottom half still fused in the head Shocked

So asked around and managed to get a slide hammer from someone locally, screwed the top half back on and managed to pull the whole thing out.

It appeared to have screwed back together fairly easily without any trouble so I figured I might as well stick it back in with a new copper washer and see if it runs. Fired it up, only runs on 3 cylinders so had to go out and buy a new injector Big Cry

Expensive mistake but lesson learned: Always use the correct tool for the job, don't try to just 'make do' Thumbs Up

Since the old injector is effectively scrap now I will actually open it up again at some point and have a poke around inside purely out of interest in seeing how they work, don't think there's any chance of getting it working again being such a precision piece of engineering. Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #699884 10th Apr 2018 3:46pm
L110CDL

England 
Good piece of news Matt that you managed to fix her and not long off the road Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #700007 10th Apr 2018 7:50pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Sods law really, what I have learned now, before I begin a job, if it looks like its going to be a pain, I would get as much advise on what, why and when before I tackle anything with the defender. The mount of set backs I have had with my rover metro for just diving in, was just a joke. My dad still just dives straight in into things, which is why I started to step away from his habits. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #702661 23rd Apr 2018 7:42pm
Fatbaron

United Kingdom 
Top thread this Matt. Really enjoyed reading it. I've got the full Raptor Dash set-up ready to drop in mine when she's back together. I love the industrial look it gives.
Post #703339 26th Apr 2018 4:23pm
trickster5000

^ Thanks Thumbs Up Bow down

Got out today for a few pics in the sun after a good wash

Click image to enlarge
 Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #705513 5th May 2018 6:37pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #705524 5th May 2018 7:13pm
trickster5000

Been really enjoying driving it recently. Not done a lot by the way of mods - only a Boomslang headlight loom which I obviously haven't had chance to test yet.

Got a big shopping list for the Billing show this weekend - parts I know I will need for the rebuild and some other bits and bobs.

Another sunny pic: Very Happy

Click image to enlarge
 Matt.

Post #714951 28th Jun 2018 10:47am
trickster5000

Update from above post - Boomslang upgrade is fantastic, if you haven't already done it you should definitely have it down on a list of 'to-do's.

I can't seem to settle on a gauge layout but fairly sure I'll be keeping the latest arrangement - I fitted an LR battery gauge courtesy of Mo Murphy on here to complete the full suite of LR gauges on the main dash binnacle. It's very satisfying having matching gauges:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Looking into retrimming the seats with the Exmoor Trim kit and put a heated seat kit in at the same time. I find the vinyl seats get quite sweaty and unpleasant even on shorter journeys. The kit seems very reasonably priced given the level of workmanship and quality of materials so that will probably be the next purchase Thumbs Up Matt.

Post #726542 31st Aug 2018 8:44pm
trickster5000

Well she's only done 1500 miles since I last updated this thread as I've been away at uni - gotta say it really did feel good getting back behind the wheel after 3 months away.

Had a fantastic first drive out onto the Yorkshire wolds, caught a lovely sunset with a view:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Had some minor maintenance work to do - firstly, a quick oil and filter change, nice easy job. Secondly, I noticed the EGR blank off plate was blowing through the gasket, tried to undo the bolts but despite a hot manifold and some WD40, both bolts snapped in the manifold so I decided to weld the plate on. Bit of a mess as the access was quite awkward and I ran out of gas at the end but it'll do the job.

Click image to enlarge
 Matt.

Post #768658 15th Apr 2019 10:13am
Procta

United Kingdom 
I was wondering where you had got too, nice to see its still a live and kicking, I think you may have known what happened to my 300 TDI. But we are rocking a TD5 now Very Happy Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #768731 15th Apr 2019 7:35pm
OJ

Scotland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Hi Matt, i was looking for something else and stumbled across your post and read what you’ve been doing, well done for all the hard work, great job your doing on the 90, its looking really good.
All the best
OJ
Post #769704 23rd Apr 2019 12:21pm
trickster5000

Thanks! I have another project on the go at the minute which has taken most of my time but still been keeping mine in check and just enjoying driving it, especially in that fantastic bank holiday sun we had. Matt.

Post #769736 23rd Apr 2019 5:13pm
trickster5000

Update: 8 cylinders
It's been a while since I've checked in here - thought I'd drop in a little update. The chassis rot combined with the remaining gremlins in the 300tdi engine led to quite a spectacular retirement from daily driving on the M1 back in summer 2019 that may or may not have required a tow truck Whistle .

After that I finally accepted I needed to get something a bit more normal for a daily which automatically re-assigned the 90 firmly into the 'toy' category - opening lots of expensive doors Laughing . The plan now is a full galv chassis rebuild, Rover V8 conversion and soft-top integrated roll cage.

I've started with the V8 - a cheap barn find 3.5l out of an RRC with no history. It came with the EFI setup but I'm planning to bin that off in favour of a carb setup for proper old school V8 motoring. Pics as follows of the stripdown:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last service circa tudor period? Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Had a bit of fun getting the alternator bracket off Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Yet more fun taking the crank pulley off.... who knew that breaker bar + prop shaft + V8 engine = glorified wood splitter Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Everything on the engine was caked with half an inch of oily sludge, breaking out the trusty 'Gunk'

Click image to enlarge

All the major parts look in very good nick - bores, crank, heads etc so looking like a standard rebuild.

Click image to enlarge

Out into the garden to attack the block with degreaser and a hose

Click image to enlarge

Degreased, wire-brushed, rubbed down with thinners, masked up then finally painted with two coats satin black high temp exhaust paint:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

That's pretty much the progress to date, will be purchasing a rebuild kit for the V8 (recommendations welcome) and start putting it back together over the next few months. Will be a stock build except for maybe a high lift cam and probably opt for the Edelbrock carb setup.

I'll try to keep more on top of the updates now I actually have something to report! Thumbs Up Matt.

Post #926071 17th Oct 2021 2:29pm
L110CDL

England 
Great update and a plan for the 90 and what a " toy " that will be with the sound of a V8 Cool 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #926270 18th Oct 2021 7:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 13 of 17 <123 ... 121314 151617>