↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > Insurance renewal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Just had a quote from LV on my Disco Sport, they are 36% cheaper than ABC Insurance through A Plan. Funny thing is that ABC are owned by LV.

The difference between LV and Admiral was over 300%

Totally convinced that the whole car insurance industry is a con. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #762906 11th Mar 2019 4:14pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
I think it all comes down to Market Share, or the lack of. Catch the right company on the right day and they will compete with themselves for your business, ie phone vs internet vs broker vs comparison site. One company told me they could not get anywhere near a quote I had, and when I told them it was from themselves they were not surprised.
Funny old world 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #762908 11th Mar 2019 4:25pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
As I said Aviva will think nothing of secretly wiping your NCB out and reducing it by years to suit their systems. They’ll owe no explanation either and if you don’t keep past records to prove your point they’ll get away with it. Be warned Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #762909 11th Mar 2019 4:31pm
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
I can't vouch for claiming under Aviva car insurance though I am insured with them via A-Plan.

I did however claim under a travel policy with them a couple of years ago when Easy Jet abandoned me and family in Pisa due to air traffic control strikes - Aviva covered my claim for whole family using a mix of bus/train/hotels and scheduled flights back via Geneva to Aberdeen without a problem. Their support throughout the whole process was brilliant unlike Easy Jet.
Post #762910 11th Mar 2019 4:45pm
m3vert

Scotland 2011 Defender 110 2.5 TD PU Stornoway Grey
I have just renewed my insurance and was astounded at the way the quotes were coming in! Last year I was with Admiral and from memory it was 435quid, renewal was 530quid! Nothing changed except I had an additional years no claim (11years NCB) Called them and they offered to reduce by 20quid. Told them to cancel and send me proof of NCB.

Called NFU who were very confident they would improve on the quote, the guy said he was embarrassed to tell me the quote and said simply that they were "not competitive", when I pushed for the figure it was more than 600quid!!!

Used the Meercat and loads came up with decent prices. Ended up with a like for like policy with Churchill, protected NCB, courtesy car, no breakdown cover (already have that), fully comp. £213.92!!! That is less than half the price I paid last year, how can there be such a variation for ultimately the same thing??? Robbing barstewards comes to mind!
Post #763317 14th Mar 2019 5:40am
custom90

United Kingdom 
I use compare the market (meerkat one) every year and it goes down nearly year on year. Sometimes significantly others just £5 a month.
Very good for that and little hassle and lets you get prices without these companies harassing you for business or babbling over the phone.

Plus you get the toy as well at the end of it which are even worth a few £ unless you want to keep or let’s children have it etc. 👍🏻 Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #763388 14th Mar 2019 12:11pm
doublea

Scotland 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
The insurance industry seems to be a complete mystery with little transparency to the end user. If you ask for an explanation about how a factor has such a large effect on premium or even availability of cover, it seems to come down to - "Algorithms"

We had our heritage insured with Direct Line at reasonable premium. Sold it and bought an Adventure. Won't cover it, even as a change of vehicle which is on cover, insurance cancelled. They said they would ask the underwriter - "it's got a snorkel thing, so more likely to be used off road". What utter bull. I'm sure I read on here that cover was declined when someone declared a removable steering wheel!

So long as there is sufficient competition, a deal should be out there. We now have ours insured with LV, sub £300 each. This year we saved a little more by going multi vehicle, which works out well, as each vehicle is taken on cover when the existing policy expires. Single renewal date next year and each vehicle maintains its NCB and each has its own claims record, so can go back to individual policies, if necessary in the future. In the past, I went multi bike and lost individual NCB on a couple of the bikes. Current Steeds:
2015 110 UW in Grasmere Green
2003 BMW F650 the Hack
2000 Elise
1992 Ducati 888 (no longer in bits, yahoo)
1990 TDR 250 (in bits again)
1988 TDR 250 (no longer in bits) and for sale
Post #763519 14th Mar 2019 9:12pm
SteveK

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Rimini Red
Just had my Churchill renewal - £215, slightly cheaper than last year which was £229!
Post #768075 10th Apr 2019 8:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12