↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > another one for the sparkies...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
another one for the sparkies...
just wondering what the consensus is on the following.

wiring up power and controls to indoor fan coil units for heating / cooling. basically those that are familiar with them - it's a tin box with cable knock-outs.

please describe what you believe is correct method / what regulations dictate. should cables, flexes etc be poke through hole, should rubber grommet be use, stuffing gland etc. should controls and power go through same hole - bearing in mind controls cable is screened to prevent harmonic distortion etc.

many thanks,
Post #767664 8th Apr 2019 7:11pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Generally keep control and power separate, but that’s best practice rather than regs.

The correct method of glanding or otherwise depends on the cable being used, ie flex: stuffing gland, swa: brass glands etc. Also the seal required will dictate what you use. If your stuck I have a copy of the regs somewhere, or just google it!

Grommets are OK by the regs in certain situations, but a bit half arsed.
Post #767671 8th Apr 2019 7:37pm
Caterham

many thanks.

they've use typical 3 core flex and to my mind it needs to be a plastic stuffing gland, if for no other reason to ensure the IP2X integrity.

I'd also agree a grommet would be 'can't be arsed' and personally I doubt it would fulfil the requirements of the regs.......which leads me to another subject.

I need to go a 18th edition course.....but where do I find one. I'll do a search - I'm sure the local college with oblige. Mr. Green

thank you. Thumbs Up
Post #767679 8th Apr 2019 7:54pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
And once you have done that, you can install your arc fault detection devices and surge suppression devices Thumbs Up

It depressed me. I’m just hoping for the lottery win so I can burn my regs book.

You only need to segregate mains power and control cabling if the controls cabling is not mains voltage rated. That is part of the regs and has been since at least the 15th.

AC engineers tend to use that braided cable which has a two letter acronym (CC, CY?) I will look it up.

The Rags does not recognise these cables so in theory, they should be highlighted as a departure on any test and inspection certificate. I don’t expect you will be doing one of those Very Happy

There’s loads of this cable out there and factories, especially food factories love the stuff.
Post #767692 8th Apr 2019 8:26pm
Caterham

got another one if you don't mind.

this is a domestic situation although I don't suppose that makes any difference.

new build house. buried duct installed for elec supply to gate. brother in law quoted silly money to install cable.
they've suggested 300 mtrs of 50mm swa.

my reckoning suggests 10mm will kill it. but the question is does it even need to be swa as it's in a duct. ie would double insulated not be sufficient? I know generally everyone simply chucks in swa but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be - does it?

many thanks. Thumbs Up
Post #770479 28th Apr 2019 10:23am
leeds

United Kingdom 
What are you powering on the end of a 300 metre 50mm2 SWA cable, a bloody battleship?

OK you can expect some voltage drop.

300m run in ducting/underground of 50mm2 cable is good for 30 amps according to Doncaster cables

What current do you actually require?

Would it be easier to have a solar panel, storage battery and a 12 volt motor correctly geared?

Or an armed guard at the end of your 300 metre drive?

Brendan
Post #770500 28th Apr 2019 12:18pm
Caterham

Laughing

thanks for the response Leeds.

that's exactly what I thought.

the bro-in-law is looking at some electric gates (well one actually) and perhaps some lighting so as you've already concluded someone has surely well and truly over estimated the load and volt drop (or they're simply looking to make a bigger job out of it than is necessary - and therefore presumably more profit.

in terms of volt drop you might get away with something as small as 2.5mm as I don't anticipate the actual load to be much more than 1,000 Watts.

My biggest concern (and I've forgotten how to work it out) is disconnection times which relate to earth loop impedance ie size of the cpc (circuit protective conductor).

looking at costs based on the smaller cables I'm inclined to go with the SWA cables as the savings on non armoured aren't so massive and the SWA is better suited plus helps with the earth impedance.

My gut feeling says 10mm to give some scope for a higher load and will better meet the requirements for the CPC impedance but I don't know what those requirements are Mr. Green
Post #770503 28th Apr 2019 12:38pm
Rashers

The disconnection time will be determined by the earth fault loop impedance at the source of the supply. You also need to be mindful of exporting the earth outside of the equipotential bonded zone if it is a TNC-S / PME supply. You can extend the equipotential bonded zone but this would require using a cable with an integral earth wire (3 core SWA) the same size or greater then your main bonding conductor. Domestically this will probably be 16mm2. Might be easier to supply the gates and lights in 2 Core SWA, supply with a 30mA RCD, isolate the armouring at the end of the cable and install an earth electrode. Turn it into a TT earthing system.
Hope that helps. 50mm2 does seem a bit excessive but 300m is a long old run.
Post #770518 28th Apr 2019 2:51pm
Caterham

many thanks Rashers.

isn/t the disconnection time determined from a combination of the max fault current and the earth loop impedance which is a combination of the proposed circuit AND that associated with the supply known as external earth loop impedance?

as you say a local earth arrangement might be far more suitable - thank you Thumbs Up

....and it might not be of course depending on how easily the disconnection time can be achieved - perhaps? Rolling with laughter
Post #770520 28th Apr 2019 3:19pm
Rashers

Haven’t got my regs book at home (no trouble sleeping so I leave it at work Rolling with laughter )
Except for a few types of circuits, disconnection time is 0.4 second. If your maximum earth fault loop impedance is below those prescribed in chapter 41 of the IEE Regs for the 1) Type of circuit and 2) The type of protective device, you have complied with disconnection.
I would always supply something like you describe from a 30mA RCD.
Post #770539 28th Apr 2019 4:38pm
Rashers

Just re-read your post Caterham. Maximum fault current or prospective short circuit current is inversely proportional to the earth fault loop impedance. Ohms law. With a constant voltage (230 Volts), the higher the earth fault loop impedance, the lower the prospective short circuit current and vice versa.
Prospective short circuit current, from a design point of view only really affects the breaking capacity of the protective device (how much fault current the MCB/RCBO or fuse can take without self destructing). Most MCBs and RCBO’s produced these days will easily withstand a prospective short circuit current which would be recorded in most domestic properties. High values which become worrying are only found when you are smack bang next to the HV transformer.
Saying all of the above, the further you get from the transformer, the higher the earth fault loop impedance.

Hope that makes sense Thumbs Up
Post #770540 28th Apr 2019 4:55pm
Caterham

Thumbs Up

makes perfect sense......I just need to go figure how to put it into practice so to speak.

and like yourself I would also opt for the rcd /rcbo - many thanks.
Post #770564 28th Apr 2019 7:21pm
Caterham

just a thought. you mention 0.4 disconnection.

did it not used to be;

0.4 for socket outlets,
5 sec for fixed circuits?
Post #770565 28th Apr 2019 7:22pm
Rashers

Yes, you are right. It used to be when it was called EEBAD (earthed equipotential bonding and automatic disconnection - I think I got that right?)

I believe it was the 17th Edition when all circuits in a TN earthing system under 32 Amps were made 0.4 sec (0.2 sec for TT earthing systems if you live in the country).

5 sec is for circuits above 32 Amps.

A lot has changed in the last couple of editions. Sadly, I believe the quality of electrical installations is not reflected in the efforts the IET have put into these changes.
Post #770683 29th Apr 2019 3:06pm
Caterham

Thumbs Up

so I'm a bit out of date then.

I'm trying to get on an 18th edition course but struggling to find one local at the moment.
Post #770685 29th Apr 2019 3:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>