↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > B+E test
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Have you booked the standard morning lesson and afternoon test?

If not, just do that. The trainer will know the local routes, will most likely have a space to rehearse the reversing bit, and will be able to cover all the points you need to remember.

Broadly, drive like a big vehicle. Plan further ahead, brake early and give yourself space and time.
Post #759124 17th Feb 2019 2:20am
arran jones

United Kingdom 
Thanks miker,
I have booked an assesment drive which they reccomend..for them to see how well i do...then the will tell me how many lessons i need...and the actual Test is on the last lesson...so if i only need 1 lesson i should be able to get it done in 2 days Thumbs Up
I reckon ive got the confidence and experince to pass 1st time....otherwise it gets a bit expensive.....there again its better than being pulled of by PC Plod and havinga couple grand fine Banging Head
Post #759130 17th Feb 2019 7:43am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
arran jones wrote:

What are the best tips for the test to make sure i pass 1st time??!

Don't make any dangerous or serious faults Razz > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #759135 17th Feb 2019 8:35am
arran jones

United Kingdom 
Hahah i guessed that Rolling with laughter
Post #759150 17th Feb 2019 10:13am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Haha!! Best of luck with it, this is something I really need to pull my finger out with too > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #759155 17th Feb 2019 10:30am
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Arran for once I’m happy to be older and not have to do this test Rolling with laughter

I tow boats and horse trailers regularly, my advice would be allow plenty of time when approaching junctions, us your mirrors a lot and make sure you can see behind the trailer with them, remember when turning left to go a little wider than normal so you don’t cut the corner with the trailer.

Probably my biggest dislike is large roundabouts, trailers and trying to get into the correct lane whilst it feels like your an extra in a Ben Hur chariot race.

Good luck with the test. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #759159 17th Feb 2019 10:47am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I'm another that has granny rights, I didn't have to take a trailer test. I started towing on private roads when I was sent to start and recover a Volvo tractor unit to an onsite garage on a large chemical site, it had been left with the trailer attached. Not knowing how to drop the trailer I drove the whole thing half a mile back to the garage and getting a Censored on my arrival. That was nearly 50 years ago.

My advice having learnt over the fifty years, leave plenty of room to the vehicle in front to allow for the impatient driver, behind to over take and pull in and the ones that think "slow vehicle" and pull out in front of you from a side road, give early signals of your intentions even if its to move out in the lane for a pedal cycle or a pot hole, don't rush your manoeuvres and constantly check your mirrors for the odd idiot. Oh nearly for got get the examiner to assist by checking the lights on the trailer are working correct having first checked that the trailer is attached correctly and the electric cables are plugged in. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #759165 17th Feb 2019 11:18am
leeds

United Kingdom 
As someone else with grand dads rights where it comes to towing.

Advice above is sound.

Now as someone with old towing rights I can tow up to 3.5 tonne. What I can not do is supervise a ‘learner’ driver towing as I have not actually past the towing test

Now towing for hire and reward is another can of worms. What does hire and reward actually mean. Now a company using a trailer to move goods for commercial purposes a Tacho may well be required. Moving your own plant between sites a Tacho may not be required.

Now what constitutes reward? Again this can be a grey area. Towing a horse in a horse box to the local show where the reward could be a rosette or £10 prize money. Tacho needed?

Also check your motor insurance policy that you are actually covered to tow. Also the trailer may need to be separately covered especially for theft as some trailers are scumbag magnets.

If using non Defender vehicles to tow check what that vehicle is actually allowed to tow. Not all 4 x 4s are allowed to tow 3.5 tonne plated trailer.

Once saw a typical euro box towing the larges Ifor box trailer which will be plated at 3.5 tonne but the unladen weight would be about a tonne so I have my doubts that it was legal.

Brendan
Post #759181 17th Feb 2019 12:19pm
arran jones

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the advice all Thumbs Up
Post #759217 17th Feb 2019 5:04pm
Romadog

Quote:
If using non Defender vehicles to tow check what that vehicle is actually allowed to tow. Not all 4 x 4s are allowed to tow 3.5 tonne plated trailer.

Once saw a typical euro box towing the larges Ifor box trailer which will be plated at 3.5 tonne but the unladen weight would be about a tonne so I have my doubts that it was legal

A vehicle with less than 3500kg towing capacity can tow a trailer plated to 3500kg GVW, just as long as the trailer and its load does not exceed the vehicles towing capacity .
Eg a Ford Transit with 2500kg towing limit, can tow a trailer carrying a 1500kg digger, trailer weighs approx 600kg , but is rated to 3500kg GVW. This means that the towed weight is within limits and the trailer is also more durable for the job. Thumbs Up
Post #759221 17th Feb 2019 5:24pm
Oldyellar

Scotland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I took the crash course, it cost £350 in total.
I'd done a bit of illegal towing but not much also I couldn't reverse very good
The instructor was brilliant and got me reversing good within ten minutes.
Irrc I was out from around 8am till the test at 2pm or there about. The test took an hour irrc, I past first time.
After chatting with the instructor all day he told me that most people pass first time with little or no experience towing before hand and although be he taught them to pass the test some additional lessons may still be needed.
Post #759554 19th Feb 2019 10:44am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
leeds wrote:

Now towing for hire and reward is another can of worms. What does hire and reward actually mean. Now a company using a trailer to move goods for commercial purposes a Tacho may well be required. Moving your own plant between sites a Tacho may not be required.

Now what constitutes reward? Again this can be a grey area. Towing a horse in a horse box to the local show where the reward could be a rosette or £10 prize money. Tacho needed?

It's not as grey an area as you might think.

If you're a courier driver, i.e. using the trailer to deliver stuff then you need a tacho. So if you're a plant hire company delivering a digger to be used by someone else, that needs a tacho. Your primary job is delivery.
If you're using the thing in the trailer for your own work, there's a small exemption of 100km. It used to be 50 for most people, 100 for farmers but I think that's now 100 for everyone. That is if you're delivering your cows to market, or you're taking a digger to use yourself and you're within the exemption radius you don't need a tacho. Your primary job is digging.

As for the horse example, if it's your horse then you don't need a tacho. If it's someone else's horse, then it depends. If your job is to deliver the horse, then you need a tacho. If your job is to look after the horse and the horse happens to need looking after somewhere different, then the horse is an item needed for your work so 100km applies. It depends whether the horse is your primary activity or the driving is your primary activity.

Irritatingly, I passed my B+E relatively recently and that means I'm limited to a 3.5t trailer. Old B+Es are not limited to a 3.5t trailer, they're just limited to a 3.5t tow vehicle so artics based on a Transit or Land Rovers with coupled brakes towing heavier trailers are possible.

Finally, all the pickups on the market that can tow 3.5t... can't. At least, they can't if you've got anything in the back of them. Take a Ford Ranger double cab, kerb weight 2.2t, maximum train weight 6t. You put a 3.5t plant trailer on the back, a mate in the front seat, a fuel bowser and some digger buckets in the bed and you're overloaded. It can cope with the trailer, or the load, but not both. Defender, whilst less powerful, older, etc etc can do both. Then you come to want to reverse your heavy trailer up a hill on tarmac and you can't use low range on the pickup either so lots of clutch smoke.
Post #759777 20th Feb 2019 2:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123