↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Towbar extender for bike rack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 11 <123 ... 8 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
salar76

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Montalcino Red
Hi Blakey - towball was on eBay for £45 delivered and the spacer & bolts off amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00755CLI2/ref...GAbEB1A107 .Agree, although the tow ball is rated 3.5t (without the spacer), it looks a lot of leverage for heavy duty towing...fortunately just a 5 min job to switch back.
Post #685834 11th Feb 2018 6:48pm
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
As you say the towball is from a Disco 2 and rated for 3.5t so should be no problem towing with that without the spacer.
Post #685956 12th Feb 2018 8:40am
Sancho

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 2.5 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
I've been looking for a solution for this for a while...

I have found a Disco 2 tow ball but not sure it will be quite long enough to do the job without spacers, so maybe it's time to practice my welding and make something like @B4Lamb did... Thumbs Up

I do like the look of the Boom Thunderman extender (http://thundermandesign.com/product/4x4-bike-rack-boom/) for ease of taking on/off but can't seem to source one, anyone got one for sale or know where I can get one?
Post #704721 2nd May 2018 7:46am
B4Lamb

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
Here are a few sketches with key dimensions of my design that fits the Dixon Bate adjustable tow ball

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The main structure is made from 50 x 10 mm steel flat. The removable securing pins are 3/4" (19.05 mm) (not shown on the sketch refer to the pics) I made these from 316 stainless steel with stainless R clips to retain. I welded in two 16 mm dia steel stiffening pins for added rigidity as shown in the sketches. The diagonal is 49 degrees from vertical. The bracket picks up on the lowest and 4th from bottom Dixon Bate bracket holes. This positions the top of the tow ball 47 cm from the ground with my wheels and tyres. This is ideal for a modern caravan tow hitch. It can be raised to the 2nd and 5th holes from the bottom raising the ball by 2" as the Dixon Bate hole pitch is 2"

As far as welding, the diagonal struts are Butt welded to the horizontal struts for maximum strength. The Tow ball mounting plate is welded to the horizontal struts using full corner welds, again for strength. I TIG welded these joints but MIG or Stick could be used. I made up a jig to hold the parts rigid before welding up. Note: I am a qualified structural welder so I know my joints would pass all inspection tests. Make sure you are a competent welder before attempting to make any towing bracket!!

I've used this bracket now for nearly a year for caravan towing, trailer towing and for my 3 bike rack. I Towed a Bailey 7 m twin axle caravan to Southern Spain and a smaller two berth single axle caravan all the way back and it worked a dream. Very easy to use with the caravan Al Ko tow hitches. Its also a handy step for getting in the back. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #704813 2nd May 2018 4:40pm
Sancho

Thanks @B4lamb for supplying such detailed information on your solution Very Happy

I'm just clicking buy on some stainless for my project... I'll report back on my progress Thumbs Up
Post #704957 3rd May 2018 8:34am
B4Lamb

Good luck with your build. Are you making it all from stainless? "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #706043 8th May 2018 3:47pm
Sancho

Yeah I was planning to, why's that?
Post #706196 9th May 2018 11:26am
B4Lamb

No problem, it will look brilliant. Stainless walks quite a bit when welding so a bit of a Censored to maintain dimension and geometry but if you compensate for that then it will be a head turner. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #706200 9th May 2018 11:48am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
My solution a boo,bar with the thule rack Thumbs Up

Post #706218 9th May 2018 3:04pm
B4Lamb

Looks neat but quite pricey. I note that it is not rated for towing so just for bike racks!! These are from Thunder man designs. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #706233 9th May 2018 4:37pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ Yes you cannot tow with it Smile

Great bit of kit and a bit pricey but I already had the thule bike rack which is ace and wanted to reuse it. So its a quick easy fix Smile

Click image to enlarge
Post #706360 10th May 2018 8:35am
B4Lamb

Sancho wrote:
Thanks @B4lamb for supplying such detailed information on your solution Very Happy

I'm just clicking buy on some stainless for my project... I'll report back on my progress Thumbs Up

What was the outcome. Is it finished and working?? Smile Smile "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #748237 31st Dec 2018 12:18pm
Sancho

Ah well, I cheated I bought a disco 3/4 swan neck tow ball from the scrap yard, as I was running out of time before leaving on our trip... and it turned out to be just the job! It sat the bikes far enough in front of the spare and then when I tipped the bike rack forward, I could open the swing away and the fold down Cool

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Not the greatest of photos but you get the idea Wink I'm currently working on a trailer (sankey wide) which I will be moving the bikes to on trips.
Post #757075 7th Feb 2019 3:54pm
B4Lamb

I wouldn't call that cheating, it's a perfectly valid solution if the Swan neck is rated for the loads you are planning to apply to it. I'm not sure I'd be 100% comfortable with a second hand tow ball from a scrappy though unless you trusted the history of the vehicle it came from as it may have had a shunt. I know when someone shunted me at roundabout my insurers insisted and paid for a new ball as they say it's impossible to know if there is a hair line crack. Probably overly cautious and covering themselves for downstream events but I wasn't going to argue. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #757120 7th Feb 2019 5:46pm
Sancho

Yeah I would be the same but I got this off a front end damaged car, so I'm pretty confident it wasn't damaged but I can't be 100%. I think they are rated up to 4 ton for towing, well I think I read that on here somewhere? Whistle
Post #757270 8th Feb 2019 8:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 11 <123 ... 8 91011>