↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Towbar extender for bike rack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 11 <123 4 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
Fellrunner

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Update on this journey of discovery Very Happy

I've just had delivered a tow ball extension made by Holdfast in SA. They make three different lengths, 12cm, 20cm and 30cm. The 12cm is too short as the bike carrier will still foul the rear wheel. The 20cm is just right (the 30cm would work too but it'd likely be longer than you need it to be). See fitted photos below.

With the extension fitted, I fitted my current Thule 931 carrier and it fouls the door when the carrier is tipped forward. I've therefore concluded that the tipping Thule type carriers just don't work with Defender rear doors.

Today I've spoken with a very helpful lady at Roofbox.co.uk regarding the Atera bike carriers. She advised to go for the Strada DL as this version slides further than any of the other Atera carriers. Also, the DL3 slides further than the DL2. I've therefore just ordered the Atera Strada DL3 and will post another update when it arrives.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #397283 9th Feb 2015 2:17pm
Wheel

United Kingdom 
Hi All,

I had some thoughts on this subject of bike carriers on LR's with rear wheels and managed to source a rack that goes through the spare wheel (can't remember make but well known) as seen here but i also have access to a mates stepped LR bike carrier and just had to make a mount to fix it to the tow bar.
The door opening is an issue but i think even with the tilting carriers its not that great and i like the idea of an "extender" but due to the length and leverage involved wondered are they also ok for towing upto 3.5t as they do look flimsy with a side load (maybe reversing and turning) applied ??
Are they all approved and E marked ??

Mark
Post #397603 10th Feb 2015 1:38pm
Fellrunner

Mark - the extender I have isn't e marked, but I wouldn't be using it for towing, purely for use with a bike carrier. That said, it's certainly a heavy duty bit of kit judging by weight alone.

I tried the Atera Strada DL3 which arrived today and .... success!!!

Very happy with this solution. With the carrier fully slid forward the back door can fully open (caveat - see below) and with the design of the carrier you can access/climb in and out of the rear without obstruction from the carrier at all.

Caveat - with the door almost fully open the edge does just marginally foul on the upright bit of the carrier. However, with some tape wrapped around the bike carrier it'd be more than fine (see position of wash mit in photo below). Alternatively, if the extender bar was just a few cm longer it'd solve the problem or I'm sure someone with the right skill could suitably bend this particular section of the upright on the bike carrier.

Not the best picture but it's dark ...

Click image to enlarge
Post #397745 10th Feb 2015 9:29pm
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Glad it all worked out for you

Hope you were able to return the unused bits (Thule carrier) and LR box extensions

I too got my Atera carrier from Roofbox but some years ago now
Post #397782 10th Feb 2015 11:00pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Wheel wrote:
i like the idea of an "extender" but due to the length and leverage involved wondered are they also ok for towing upto 3.5t as they do look flimsy with a side load (maybe reversing and turning) applied ??
Are they all approved and E marked ??

Mark

If you think that looks flimsy you should see the one on a Hi-Cap.
Though looking for a picture on Autotrader I did note that the Puma I saw was completely different to our TD5.
Post #397879 11th Feb 2015 1:50pm
clifflandy

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zambezi Silver
Hi Fellrunner, which supplier did you use in SA to post the Holdfast extension?
Post #397894 11th Feb 2015 3:28pm
Fellrunner

Clifflandy - I used www.capemulti.co.za A very nice lady called Ana Niemann helped me.
Post #397924 11th Feb 2015 6:03pm
Fellrunner

kmac wrote:
Glad it all worked out for you

Hope you were able to return the unused bits (Thule carrier) and LR box extensions

I too got my Atera carrier from Roofbox but some years ago now

Cheers kmac

Yes, PFJones who I ordered the Thule carrier from were eventually OK, and Rimmerbros where I ordered the Disco extender from were great.

Roofbox were superb, very helpful advice and I'd certainly recommend them.
Post #397925 11th Feb 2015 6:05pm
Xelr8

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Montalcino Red
Fellrunner wrote:
Mark - the extender I have isn't e marked, but I wouldn't be using it for towing, purely for use with a bike carrier. That said, it's certainly a heavy duty bit of kit judging by weight alone.

I tried the Atera Strada DL3 which arrived today and .... success!!!

Very happy with this solution. With the carrier fully slid forward the back door can fully open (caveat - see below) and with the design of the carrier you can access/climb in and out of the rear without obstruction from the carrier at all.

Caveat - with the door almost fully open the edge does just marginally foul on the upright bit of the carrier. However, with some tape wrapped around the bike carrier it'd be more than fine (see position of wash mit in photo below). Alternatively, if the extender bar was just a few cm longer it'd solve the problem or I'm sure someone with the right skill could suitably bend this particular section of the upright on the bike carrier.

Not the best picture but it's dark ...

Click image to enlarge

Thanks for Posting this up Thumbs Up
I can't do it the way that you have because I require my Defender for Towing regularly but I have a couple of questions if ya don't mind.
In your opinion, if the Original Tow Ball was left in the Lowest Holes would the Extension Bar fit above it in the Highest Holes?
I've no doubt that if this did work then I'd probably require the Longer Extension Bar to allow the Rear Door to clear the Bike Rack.
Basically I'm trying to leave the Tow Ball that I use for Trailering fixed in place. I don't want to be taking it on & off all the time. But I don't mind doing that for the Bike Rack one.

Cheers
Leon
Post #399733 17th Feb 2015 7:40pm
NormanD

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
You could consider the device from Goodwinch, you would need to fabricate s bracket to suit
http://www.goodwinch.com/shop/bak-rak-towb...clamshell/ NormanD WE191

2015 110 XS Utility
2014 VW Caravelle 180 Executive
Post #399736 17th Feb 2015 7:46pm
Fellrunner

Leon - I don't think that would work. Even though you could bolt the tow ball at the bottom of the drop plate, the 'ball' bit sticks up and would likely foul an extension bar bolted on above it.

Even if this arrangement did work, with the two ball bolted at the bottom and the extension bar bolted on above it, I wonder if you'd have enough room between both to attach the trailer onto the tow bar (don't you need a bit more height to 'drop' the trailer onto the tow ball?). I know next to nothing about towing so I'm just speculating here.

What is it you tow? I can see it's a very large trailer from your thread, but what weight altogether? I'm sure I'm not considering something which someone will soon point out, but I wouldn't underestimate how heavy duty the extension bar is; it seems at least as well constructed/heaving duty as the drop plate for example, so whilst it may have its capacity reduced because of the extra length, I certainly wouldn't call it flimsy.

I'll be visiting Sheffield for a day in a few weeks time. I'll be driving the RR rather than the Defender, but I have the shorter version (12cm) of this extension bar which I could bring with me if you'd like to see how well it's constructed in the flesh. It might help inform your decision making whilst you're considering potential set up.
Post #399749 17th Feb 2015 8:13pm
Xelr8

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Montalcino Red
Yes it's the clearance between the Lower Ball & the Extension Bar that I'm concerned about.

Fitting the Trailer on wouldn't be a Problem as I would remove the Extended one when I was towing.

I know what you're saying about the construction of the Extension Bar but it's always better to Tow anything with the Tow Ball attached as close to the Towing Vehicle as possible.

Thanks for the offer to bring it to show me but for the above reason there's no need really.

Cheers
Post #399786 17th Feb 2015 8:52pm
Fellrunner

No problem.
Post #399788 17th Feb 2015 8:55pm
Tonyrec

United Kingdom 
Cheers Fellrunner, looks like you have solved the problem for us , nice one Thumbs Up
Post #400354 19th Feb 2015 7:13pm
Fellrunner

Thumbs Up
Post #400694 20th Feb 2015 9:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 11 <123 4 ... 91011>