Home > Finance & Insurance > Insurance Valuation after theft
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jamie1992

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Insurance Valuation after theft
Hi
Just wondering how other people have found insurance company’s valuations?
After having my Land Rover defender 90 County stolen at the weekend my insurance company have returned a valuation of £16500 which at first sounded reasonable, but after having a look through auto trader/eBay I’m struggling to find a replacement County for the money! Hardtops seem pretty do able at that money but county hard tops at factory original condition like mine was are pretty rare! Trying to hold out for 17500/18k? Or ask them to replace the Land Rover with an equivalent one? If anyone has any experience with any of this I’d love to know how it went? Thanks
Post #754575 28th Jan 2019 7:44pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Jamie I would hold out, insurance companies will always try and wriggle and get away with the cheap option Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #754602 28th Jan 2019 8:24pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Many years ago I had a vehicle stolen.

The insurance company first offer was low, so objected strongly, second offer much better and then got a much smaller increase on third offer. Was told that insurance companies would make 3 offers and then basically stick at that offer unless there were exceptional circumstances.

Get as much information about your vehicle and get as many adverts of comparable vehicles. If you can get a valuation from your local dealer who knows your vehicle it would be good for your case.

Good luck.

Brendan
Post #754643 28th Jan 2019 9:25pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
When my old Freelander was written off I was initially offered a very low figure for it on the basis that it was 12 years old & had 195,000 miles on it. However, when I explained that I had it from new & that it had a complete service history the figure went up considerably. All I was asked to do was to send in photos of the completed service books ( the original one plus the extension one ) & all was good.

Another thought, when I bought the DCPU I got a full HPI check done on it, this cost £20 & included a vehicle valuation figure which is based on Glasses Guide. Might be worth you getting one done quick before it shows up as stolen on the database?

Final thing, ask you insurer to provide a like for like replacment vehicle for you, let them see how difficult it is to find one for the money they're offering you!
Post #754708 29th Jan 2019 8:35am
PRENT1

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Insurance Valuation after theft
I had a Landy stolen a few years back. When the insurance company made their first offer i declined as i thought they were way off. I then supported my claim for a greater amount by showing paper work and receipts (the week before i had just paid for a full dealer service).
In the end i petitioned for the insurance company to provide a like for like ..Low mileage/colour etc... they then substantially increased there offer.. It is a long winded process but worth carrying through.
Post #754716 29th Jan 2019 9:54am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I've recently had two friends who's Morgans were total losses due to accident. They both received initial offers which to be honest weren't far off the mark but they rejected them. The got prices and photos of similar cars for sale in the UK through dealers and then did further battles with their respective insurers.

As stated above just keep going back to them until you get a realistic price offer. It wont happen quickly but at least it gives you time to look around for a replacement until such time as they have coughed up. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #754731 29th Jan 2019 10:59am
Jamie1992

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Emailed my insurance today and included a list of similar land rovers that are currently for sale on auto trader. I also mentioned I’d rather have them try and find me a replace defender of like for like condition and age than except what they’d offered me! So I’ll see what they come back with!
Post #754822 29th Jan 2019 6:10pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Good Luck Jamie
let us know how you get on. often wondered about this 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #754830 29th Jan 2019 6:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1