Home > Expedition & Overland > Trans-alp Tour Beginning of July Maps and Advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Trans-alp Tour Beginning of July Maps and Advice
Hi all,
Im beginning to plan my trans alp trip which i'll be doing with a friend in my 2001 td5 90 at the beginning of July

A few tracks have caught my eye, Col du parpaillon, col du tende and the via del sale. We want to spend a couple of days driving down a few days doing all the routes and camping in the moutains, a weekend in a city in northern italy then the last week at a lake (probably Garda) Then home!

Im after advice from anyone who has done these off road journeys and also what maps to buy which will have the tracks marked on them.

What spares would you carry with you etc?
What preferred tools? Aircompressor? Jack etc...

Or of course if anyone wants to join feel free to get in touch! I'd much rather go as a group but i have a lack of landy friends! Sad
Post #749334 5th Jan 2019 10:44am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
You'll find those main Alpine routes smooth gravelled and well signposted. You shouldn't need maps, spares or tools 😉 don't let that stop you, it is stunningly beautiful 😊
Further east in the Dolomites you will find most routes closed to vehicles now that it's a UNESCO area of outstanding beauty.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #749337 5th Jan 2019 10:58am
Maris Widgeon

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Have travelled in that area quite a bit and done the routes that you have already highlighted and they are stunning. We travel in a ninety and one thing I would suggest is be organised and don't take too much stuff, we tend to concentrate on being comfortable and well fed , giving ourselves easy days . The distances are not great between tracks and areas that you may be visiting, but can take longer than you expect due to windey roads.
Some other classic tracks-
- Mont Cenis
- Colle de Assiette
- Col de Sommelier
These are all relatively close together and close to France Italian border , all these tracks are shown on the ordinary large scale road map and are easily transversed although can be a little " hairy " in parts.
We have found other smaller routes from German motorcycle forums and also the dangerous roads web site, also I love maps so l buy the blue I G N maps for the area that we are going to visit and just explore.
We have been back many times over the years and only ever take basic tools and cable ties etc, and make sure we have European recovery and prepare and service the truck before leaving.
We have had some fantastic trips to that area over the years and there is always more to do, hope this maybe helpful.

Nick
Post #749434 5th Jan 2019 6:45pm
LandymanStefan

Great thank you! Ive added those routes to the list!

I love a map too so i'll try and get some i g n blue ones then! I want something with all these tracks on, dont want to just rely on phones and tech.

Yes i have european recovery but i cant see a recovery truck coming up to get you when youre at the top of one of those gravelly mountain passes Laughing The car has only covered 42k miles so a major fault shouldn't occur, prior to me buying it it had full lr service history and ive serviced it every 6k since then and only last september did the full transmission oils etc etc and ive done the oil pump sprocket bolt just in case. I just have a fear of camping up a mountain in the middle of nowhere and getting back in the car in the morning to get a classic case of a td5 non start issue. But hey thats a risk you gotta take.
Post #749450 5th Jan 2019 7:54pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Top tip. Most OR tracks in the main Alpine communes are closed to 4x4s in the months of July and August between 0600-1800h. Certainly the case for all the communes around me, where they prioritise walkers, climbers and MBikers. You might ‘get away with it’ as there are not many cops about, but fines can be big. So I’d strongly suggest outlying a route with your key Cols and tracks and then checking the route regs per commune (loosely speaking identified by each different postcode, albeit some club their rules and coordination together). In addition you have the French version of the forestry commission, (http://www.onf.fr), plus numerous national and local protected parks, which cover many of the high altitude areas. You would no doubt see many locals cutting about on Quads and Trailies, but as a non local you won’t know the less well travelled routes and would be open to being caught. I’m afraid France has the least open and accessible routes in the Haute Alpes during July and August. If want any top tips, help with lingo, route planning or info on communes, don’t hesitate to PM me. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #749461 5th Jan 2019 8:15pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Stephen Patchett did a lot of the Italian alps on this trip below - you can find him on facebook or youtube and he should be able to offer some advice on routes and maps etc

In the meantime, his videos are good for a winters night planning......

There should be 8 parts which normally auto play

You might also like this one which is another Alps trip

&t=8s Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #749608 6th Jan 2019 6:10pm
datcullen

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Java Black
We've done lots of sections of the Via del Sale and the other tracks around Col de Tende and across the Italian / French border around Monte Saccarello. We can do a 100 mile round trip from our place in Liguria with only short sections on the road. The camping, the views and the tracks are all great and reasonably well tracked - useful in case of emergency - if not well marked. Interestingly the Italians seem much more relaxed about 'off-roading' as most of the tracks (according to the locals anyway) are unsurfaced roads but roads none the less.

The only section I know of that has restrictions in place is the section of the Via del Sale known as "La strade ex-Militare" - the bit that was restored and is run as a toll road. It is closed on certain days each week to motorised traffic and when they have races etc on it.

http://www.laviadelsale.com/la-via-del-sal...ne-monesi/

Here's some tracks I've dropped into ridgewithgps which you may find useful.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29151706
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29151707
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26763984

Edited to add:
Maps - the maps are not great on the Italian side but the best I've found are the EDM (EDIZIONI DEL MAGISTERO) Carta dei Sentieri 1:25000 series - IM5 / 7 & 8 I think cover the above routes
http://www.edizionidelmagistero.it/carte-d...peria.html
They are not widely available in the UK but try phoning The Map Shop - https://www.themapshop.co.uk/ - an incredible resource for any map afficionado!

Please feel free to PM me for more details if you'll be passing through.

Beau 110 UW - '15 2.2
90 - '85 V8 soft-top
RRC - '84 5 door, Option Pack C, 33k miles from new
---
Elise S1 - '00 Millennium SE
Elan +2 - '68 kit built by my dad
Panda 4x4 - '87 in Italy
Post #749960 8th Jan 2019 1:10pm
LandymanStefan

Excellent! Thanks for the resources and info!

I'll have a look at those routes on the weekend!
Post #749975 8th Jan 2019 1:46pm
datcullen

You're welcome. Any questions just ask. 110 UW - '15 2.2
90 - '85 V8 soft-top
---
Panda 4x4 - '87 in Italy
Post #749982 8th Jan 2019 2:04pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Watching with interest, I need to get out there! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #750006 8th Jan 2019 4:20pm
datcullen

Ok
map geek alert

I've just been given a new map by my family and it's hands down the best map of this area I've seen. Bow down

https://www.fraternalieditore.com/?lang=en

They have 1:25000 maps of running up the whole of the French / Italian border, printed on decent, water and tear resistant paper, plus digital versions available as well.

I probably need to stop now...
/map geek alert

Oh - and Martin has given me the ok to do a small bit of shameless promotion - if anyone is thinking of an outdoor based holiday in this area with access to great off-roading, hiking, climbing, river swimming but doesn't want to camp we have a lovely 3-bed rental property in the Ligurian hinterland. As well as all the above it's just 40 minutes or so from the Italian riviera...

https://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/rezzo/281049

Any bookings from here we'll give a donation to the site.

Thanks Martin! 110 UW - '15 2.2
90 - '85 V8 soft-top
---
Panda 4x4 - '87 in Italy
Post #750900 13th Jan 2019 10:16am
LandymanStefan

Had an absolute blast, me, my best mate, 1 week off roading, city break weekend in Milan where a couple more mates flew out, then all 4 of us had a week in lake garda.

Best 2 weeks of my life, now fully addicted. Going to start planning the next one.

Only mishap was not being able to get through the tunnel du parpaillon due to a 10 mtr long ice berg at the end of the tunnel, buggies, quads and bikes were going over it... We gave it a good go, the steering guard was hitting the ice berg first before the front wheels could grab it. So we locked the centre diff and with my mate spotting tried to push our way up it but unfortunately the car kept pushing over to one side instead of going straight up it. If we had more time and weren't worried about obstructing the tunnel we could have made ramps with rocks or boulders or made a ramp up on it with a spade in the ice but we decided to abort mission and reverse out so we didnt irritate others trying to get through. Annoyingly this meant we missed some areas we wanted to explore but gives me a great excuse to try again next time.

Defender suffered no injuries, only the rear diff pinion seal leak has got a little worse and now needs doing and my very minor pull away clonk has got a tad worse so i'll be investigating my rear half shafts and drive flanges, may upgrade to ashcroft if neccesary.

Something that did irritate me is how soft my rear springs are, i fitted defender 110 fronts to the back and with just me in the car it handles beautifully, just the way i want it to, nice ride and great round corners (bilsteins fitted too) However on a trip like this i want firmer or at least longer springs. I spend more time in the car just by myself but if i do more of these trips im going to want firmer ones. So im torn about what to do, get firmer ones for my occasional road trips or keep what ive got for my country road cruises. You just cant have it all...

The 40 degree french heatwave was a bit intesne on the first week with no air con... very tempted to invest in a kit in the future.

Day 0 Drove to savines le lac to line us up ready for the parpaillon
Day one off roading was the col du parpaillon
Day 2 la via del sale - absolutely incredible road you end up right in the middle of a mountain range with no sign of human life apart from the one little track wiggling through, no pylons, houses, ski lifts, roads nothing for as far as you can see.
Then drove from monesi down the beautiful sp154 through all the ski ghost towns
Day 3 stopped off in torino at a hotel
Day 4 Bruiel Cervinia at the base of the matterhorn - picture perfect wonderfulness
Day 5 Lago di antrona, alpe cheggio and Lago Alpe del Cavalli, all on road and we camped at a campsite this night rather than wild camping.

The rest was a 'normal' holiday of no interest to defender2 punters
Pictures sort of in order but where my mate sent me some on whatsapp theyre a bit jumbled

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge