Home > Expedition & Overland > Just back from Iceland in Arctic Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 
Just back from Iceland in Arctic Defender
Hi Guys

I'm a refugee from the Disco3 forum - just back from 7 days driving round Iceland in a hired Arctic Defender. Very Happy

Our vehicle was a Puma engined 110 that has been lifted to accept 38" tyres, and it has taken a pounding on the tracks Wink

The trip is in effect a complete overland package in that Isak provide the vehicle, detailed route details, pre-programmed GPS and arrange the accommodation for a 7 day circuit of Iceland taking in key sights.

Day 1: pick up Defender at Isak's HQ, drive east along route 1, then turn northeast into interior. Gravel tracks and serious river crossings. We act as lead car for a family in a Lexus 4x4, but after several hours and a river crossing that's up to our side steps they decide to turn around (when you see the pics you'll see they are quite high!). First out door hot spring experience. Stay overnight on edge of highlands.

Click image to enlarge

Lowering tyres to12psi for gravel tracks

Click image to enlarge

Overnight stop

Day 2: fuel car and jerrycans as no fuel for 2.5days. Head into highlands - this is entering Hell literally and metaphorically! A long, long day driving. An ever changing landscape of lava fields, open plains of rock and ash, and volcanoes. Hours of crawling through landscapes from Lord of the Rings. It seems like we are in Mordor, and there is a road sign that points to somewhere that loosely reads as 'Mordorland'. If you want to know what the end of the world looks like, this is it! After a lunch stop by a river crossing we help 2 mountain bikers across the river, they sit in the front and hold their bikes outside the car! Finished with a flat out run across a huge flat plain of volcanic ash following tyre tracks and markers. For most of the day we see no other vehicles. Stay at mountain refuge at Drekagil. Tiring but epic drive.

Click image to enlarge

River under bridge

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]
Helping mountain bikers across! Hi to Runer, that's the guy with the bike.

Click image to enlarge

The endless lava fields....

Click image to enlarge

F910 - the road to Mordor or just hell? a long and tough piece of road

Day 3: activity day, drive to Kverkfjoll, see ice caves, walk on glacier, then back to huge volcanic crater above Drekagil. Stunning views, decide not to climb down 100' muddy slope to try hot lake! Ice caves and glacier are amazing.

Click image to enlarge

Day 4

Drive the Jokulsa a Fjollum river valley and see Dettifoss, Europe's biggest waterfall, onto Asbrygi (amazing geological area), and onto Myvatn.
Dettifoss is enormous, you can get right up to it and the sheer volume of water is immense. Overnight guesthouse at campsite, with amazing little pizza restuarant on site Thumbs Up

Day 5

Up and away before 9am, a lot to see around Myvatn. Climb big volcanic crater, then to Dimmuborgir lava formations, quick coffee then off to geothermal area with fumaroles, steam vents, bubbling mud etc (stank of hydrogen sulphide!) then drive up Kafla volcano, back down to lunch in cow shed bistro with real cows....then drive to Laguafell for hot nature bath and mix of tarmac, moorland tracks and gravel roads to another guesthouse in Iceland's river rafting area

Day 6

Shorter driving day, drive to Kerlingafjoll mountain resort via Hveravellir geothermal area and a lovely hot nature bath. However at about 3000' asl and strong winds, getting changed after swim in open air bracing! Have lovely and cosy hut to ourselves, with restuarant and bar on site. IN evening try to get to nature baths, but we are right up in mountains and big storm is coming in so have to abort as we may get blown off mountain! Found sheltered snowbank and had fun sliding down it before returning to cosy bar.

Day 7

Last day Sad 2 options, one serious mountain track, other gravel track. Take option 2 as we want to see all the sights today, such as Gullfoss waterfall, Geysir geyser, Pingvellir National Park. Includes some good off road routes, and a couple of serious river crossings, after heavy rain for last few days. One in particualr is pushing Defender downstream as we cross.

Sun comes out as we leave the mountains. Good day, sad to leave the wilderness and drive back into a sunny Reykjavik. Stay in hotel in centre of Reyk, have meal, then following morning do some shopping before taking car back to Isak. From there go to Blue Lagoon, before staying overnight at Keflavik and flying home early next morning.

The trip was a proper overland adventure, and we were all tired at the end but we all agreed it was EPIC!! Mountains, big waterfalls, volcanoes, lava fields, fissures, glaciers, ice caves, hot spring pools, snow fields, ash deserts, hiking, driving, monster trucks etc etc Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

There is a car park at the top of the hill above the Jeep, to view the glacial lake behind. However you need a serious 4x4 to get up there, which is why the Jeep is parked and its occupants walked up we have just driven down from there!

Click image to enlarge

Askja crater (50 sqkm lake in background) Viti hot pool in foreground

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

D2 'Lund Rover'

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Playing in snow

Click image to enlarge

Geysir

Click image to enlarge

Blue Lagoon - thermal pool

Click image to enlarge

Isak workshop

Click image to enlarge

Guess what's on my Xmas list - Isak 130 Cool

It is a great way of seeing Iceland, and saved me a huge amount of organisation by them organising the route, accommodation and pre-programmed GPS. Plus the Defender took a battering on the tracks, so I'm pleased it wasn't mine! We went with this as they provide the route, GPS, book accommodation etc. and you just have to fly out and pick up the Defender. Much easier, quicker, and probably cheaper than the logistics of trying to get your own car over there. We used a 'U Drive' package organised by Isafold Travel http://www.isafoldtravel.is/isak-self-drive/tours/ , who are a sister company of Isak ( www.isak.is ) who actually hire the Defenders. You can just hire the Defender without the addons.

Iceland is a must go place, by Land Rover obviously. Now saving up for one of the winter trips!

Tony

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by ruggedpeak on 4th Feb 2014 8:54pm. Edited 4 times in total
Post #158297 27th Jul 2012 12:54pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Awesome, great pics, thanks for sharing Cool
Post #158298 27th Jul 2012 1:02pm
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 
Glad you liked - I can't recommend Iceland enough. We had a fantastic time. Its only 3 hours flying time from London.
Post #158300 27th Jul 2012 1:05pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
briliant write up - thanks Tony!
Post #158301 27th Jul 2012 1:07pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
hwo much? can't decide my 40th birthday present Thumbs Up
Post #158312 27th Jul 2012 2:28pm
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 
T1G UP wrote:

Funnily enough this was my 40th pressie instead of a big party (phew!).

Costs as follows for 4 of us in the 110 (2 adults + 2 kids (1 age 13 so classed as adult most things Rolling Eyes )

7day hire of Arctic Defender plus pre-programmed GPS, route book, map, and 6 nights pre-booked accommodation for 2 adults & 2 kids (2 nights in modern mountain hut in sleeping bags, rest in guesthouses with breakfast, all good quality) plus coolbox with crockery etc £3,053.00 Recovery gear, compressor and hose etc included.

Fuel for week £292 (covered about 1900km)

Flights (3 adults & 1 child due to age) via Icelandair in July (not cheapest but most convenient) £1077

For say 2 adults, cost of the car plus fuel would be similar, but flights less. Extras were food, and staying in Reykjavik for a day either side.

Please note we opted for the "full monte" 7 Day U Drive Package. They do 3 day ones, or you can just hire the car itself and plan your own route.

As we were on more adventurous routes for some of the time, I was glad to have the extra clearance and strong tyres - at river crossings the car is so big you don't have to worry. Had we been in a normal sized 110 then I'd have had to check the depth of crossings. On one we hit a big submerged rock - it must have been big for it to hit the back of the 110, and I'd have not liked to have the same rock in a normal 4x4 Shocked as the river was quite deep! Another river was pushing us sideways with water almost up to the bonnet. Again I was glad of the extra height!

Isak and sister company Isafold Travel offer 3 Day U Drive trips, and also just normal car hire of the Isaks, or guide led tours.

More info on the tours here http://www.isafoldtravel.is/isak-self-drive/tours/ and here www.isak.is for straight vehicle hire. I was painless to fly out to Reykjavik, pick up the Defender and go. I would say this is a proper overland trip, not a bimble along country roads. We covered a lot of miles and had some long days, but the things we saw and did were incredible. Probably the best was sitting in hot natural spring pools relaxing high up in mountains, which we did most days - getting out into gale force winds in speedos was interesting though! Very Happy

Well worth it Thumbs Up The chap who owns Isak, JB, is a really nice bloke, and we got on really well having met him at a 4x4 event in Belgium earlier this year. If you decide to go with this mention Tony from the D3 forum as he might have some flexibility Wink Tony

Popped over from Disco3.co.uk forum!

D3 XS
F2 GS
Post #158319 27th Jul 2012 2:55pm
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Thanks for trip report Tony!. Was looking at Iceland for next years trip Thumbs Up
Post #158351 27th Jul 2012 5:51pm
Thud

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
That looks amazing. Great write up and photos.
Post #158352 27th Jul 2012 5:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Friend of mine is vulcanologist and professional photographer: www.photovolcanica.com
I have been suggesting to him such a trip sometime but wondered how "doable" it would be in a standard Defender (with 265s and not too much swimming)? Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #158375 27th Jul 2012 8:34pm
marsie

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Very cool Thumbs Up ,was only talking to Derrick at LRS about iceland a few weeks ago

T1G UP wrote:

My 40th next too. Maybe we should get the "other halves" together for a hint dropping session?? Thumbs Up
Paul Mr. Green
Post #158377 27th Jul 2012 8:54pm
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 
ZeDefender wrote:
Friend of mine is vulcanologist and professional photographer: www.photovolcanica.com
I have been suggesting to him such a trip sometime but wondered how "doable" it would be in a standard Defender (with 265s and not too much swimming)?

Very much doable. A lot of the roads are gravel tracks so easily within capabilities of Defender - only issue is making sure you check river crossings, but a decent LR should be fine. Basic river rules - check the depth (wading if necessary), follow the Icelandic line (a sweeping curve) and be aware glacial rivers increase in depth as the day progresses. Plenty of normal LR's on the trails.

Just do it! Tony

D3 XS
F2 GS
Post #158443 28th Jul 2012 12:50am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Cheers Thumbs Up
Planning already - mostly a bigger overdraft Laughing
Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #158453 28th Jul 2012 7:43am
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 
ZeDefender wrote:
I have been suggesting to him such a trip sometime but wondered how "doable" it would be in a standard Defender (with 265s and not too much swimming)?

Great website and pics, thanks for the link Thumbs Up link Tony

D3 XS
F2 GS
Post #158486 28th Jul 2012 11:10am
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 
marsie wrote:
Very cool Thumbs Up ,was only talking to Derrick at LRS about iceland a few weeks ago

T1G UP wrote:

My 40th next too. Maybe we should get the "other halves" together for a hint dropping session?? Thumbs Up
Paul Mr. Green

If it helps the natural hot springs are lovely, the sulphury water in areas like Myvatn makes hair lovely and soft and fluffy, and the hot mud baths are fantastic for the skin. That's what my other half tells me, she loved the soft hair!

It's called 'Iceland's Disneyland' but the Blue Lagoon is worth a stop for everyone www.bluelagoon.com -not cheap but you stay all day lounging around the hot pools. Very relaxing. Shops in Reykjavik are good, lots of unusual and designer stuff Wink

Job done Thumbs Up Tony

D3 XS
F2 GS

Last edited by ruggedpeak on 29th Jul 2012 11:37am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #158487 28th Jul 2012 11:17am
marsie

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Cheers Tony,i will leave the laptop open on the Blue lagoon website so that she sees it when she is having a nosey Thumbs Up
Paul Mr. Green
Post #158615 29th Jul 2012 11:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>