↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Cruise control switches?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
If you want a nakatanenga product in England you need to speak to 4x4 overlander. They may not have the part on their site but a quick call will get you sorted or a pm to Leeds on here. They are site sponsors too Thumbs Up Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #742140 25th Nov 2018 2:06pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Great thanks l will call them in the morning.
Post #742148 25th Nov 2018 4:23pm
Jontd5

Ireland 
For anyone trying to get cruise control working with a 1.2 D2 transfer fitted swap the speedo drive gear in transfer box for a 23 tooth range rover classic, part number FRC3313 and then cruise control will work in all gears
Post #744842 9th Dec 2018 7:01pm
Adammac

Ireland 2002 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Willow Green
To answer the original question, they do produce a cruise control switch AMR3599-G.
Post #927196 26th Oct 2021 11:55am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
achuakh wrote:
It also depends on where your hands are when driving the vehicle. This is entirely my own experience. I have no intention of offending anyone.

I have 2 stainless steel MOM buttons next to the cubby box, which will control the functions of the cruise control. Why this works for me, is because of the following below. I've tested this on an 8000km trip.

I did think about the disco switch on the steering column as some have pictures to show how factory it looked and i was pretty much tempted.

However, to set that, it would require that i move my right hand from my usual driving position at 2 o'clock to press the buttons, meaning, either i had to stretch my finger a little to do that, or i had to transfer the wheel to my left hand and then use my right hand to press it.

The wire run from the ECU would then need to go from the ECU, out of the seat box, to the engine bay and thru the firewall into the dashboard and it was a long run and maybe i was lazy.

Having it next to the cubby box would mean that now I would route the wire out the seat box from the ECU and then a short run and up thru an existing grommet to end up exactly where i want it.

The choice of switches to me was very important as I don't want to be in a situation where i'm guessing if the press on the button did trigger the function or not, so i spent $11 on each push button switch to ensure this.

For me, this is the most important part. Usually my left hand is the hand that is free to let go of the wheel to reach around the cab and push buttons and having it low down just near my thigh is where i need the least amount of strength to lift my hand and the little metal plate which i mounted these two switch are at the edge of the cubby box front, so there's no fumbling to find it even in darkness.

I located the speedo healer next to the ECU and tapped into the same power wire of the ECU and same ground point of the ECU to prevent any funny ground loops from happening. Having all the wires as short as possible and not cutting the original wires will reduce failures. I used the correct econoseal terminal pins to ensure that i can simply disconnect all the wires and straight plug back the wires into the ECU if there was a problem with the circuit. Of course i did fuse the entire circuit with a 1 amp fuse, I might bring it down to 500mA but the shop didn't have such a fuse.

I don't have an on/off button but it has not affected operations of the vehicle in anyway, a year on.

My setup: Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Made in 2010 as a quick trial, always on the list to make it nice. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #927374 27th Oct 2021 6:00pm
derbywill

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Adammac wrote:
To answer the original question, they do produce a cruise control switch AMR3599-G.

That looks like it is from a Range Rover so the design is slightly different design to a Td5 Defender switch and my OCD wouldn't be able to cope with that!
I use the disco 2 steering wheel switches mounted on the column cowling and have no switch for the Cruise on/off.

Cheers

Will 2005 90 XS
1954 86'' Series 1 tilt
Post #927394 27th Oct 2021 7:25pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l fitted the Nakatanenga kit to my 2005 TD5 110 Defender.

The two black push buttons (set/resume) l installed in the centre console below the stereo.

l didn't bother with an on/off switch for the cruise, it all seems to work fine and has now been on the Defender for two years.
Post #927637 28th Oct 2021 9:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12