↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rear Differential Knock/Click on Deceleration. Tried all.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jamieyasa6975

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Rear Differential Knock/Click on Deceleration. Tried all.
Hi Everyone, how’s it going ? I’m jamie from Sri Lanka and we operate a fairly large automotive repair workshop at which we repair and maintain a lot of State Owned Land Rover Defenders.

First of all I’d like to say that I’ve searched all over the internet for a solution before posting haha.

This thread is in regard to a problem I’m having with my 2009 Defender 110 SW (2.4tdci).

Sometime ago my rear differential developed a humm and I didn’t take any notice of it and ran for about 7,500 kilometers and eventually decided to replace the 4 Bearings in the Rear Diff as well as the Oil Seal. I used Timken bearings.

After putting it back together and filling the Diff upto level with Castrol EXP 80w90, I took it out for a run and immediately noticed that there’s a big metal knocking sound coming from the Rear Diff, there was so such noise before dismantling, the Humm I had in the first place was no more but now I’ve developed a new noise. This noise is most noticeable when decelerating on neutral. Not there in reverse either. I got them to dismantle everything again and make sure that everything is the way it should be and it was. But the sound was still there. We had an extra used Rear Diff lying around (Crown Wheel and Pinion intact) , I got this fitted into my Defebder and once I took it for a spin, the sound was still there. I then got another prop shaft fitted to make sure it isn’t the problem.

The only thing We’ve noticed which could be making the noise, is the spider gear cross pin which freely moves in and out in both the differentials,could this be it? As they move so easily they stick out of the Diff case when pushed from one side..

The Axles are perfect, the U Joints are fine and the crown wheel and pinion have been adjusted to the space of a piece of paper.

The sound is as if something is hitting the Rear Diff housing when turning in neutral. The noise is even there when the whole vehicle is raised on a hoist and accelerated and then put into neutral.

Any help will be highly appreciated!

Thank you,
Jamie.
Post #742798 28th Nov 2018 4:15pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Have you checked the rear half shafts? They give a good clunk when worn from my experience. With all4 wheels on the floor, the hand brake on and in gear, grab the prop shaft and twist it. If you hear a knock and the hubs then the half shaft splines are worn. There will be a little movement even when new, but should be minimal, maybe 1-2 degrees of rotation.
Post #742820 28th Nov 2018 6:35pm
Jamieyasa6975

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Hi, thanks for your reply.
The half shafts have minimal to no movement. I’m wondering how it could be anything other than the Diff because the sound developed only after I dismantled the Diff to replace the bearings ?
Post #742824 28th Nov 2018 6:49pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Did you follow the instructions given at the workshop manual regarding pinion height, side bearings preload, mesh, etc? Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #744474 7th Dec 2018 12:02pm
AdrianCR

2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Scotia Grey
It happened to me exactly the same with mine replace THE A-Frame joint even though it looked good and know there is no rear sound in my rear diff. it really does not make sense
but it worked for me.
Post #744493 7th Dec 2018 2:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1