↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Independent suspension discussion (was 2020 Def)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Slideywindows wrote:
I've seen it a couple of times but never taken any photos as it was not of interest to me.

I think it has independent suspension at the front only now.

He's a long-time member of the 48-53 Register but doesn't court publicity, although I believe it may have been written about in a mag at some time in the past.

Maybe Defender9 will know more, if he reads this.

Slidey, unfortunately I can’t add anymore to what you and LRA have posted, I have seen the odd photo and short reports but no more.
Post #740259 13th Nov 2018 10:38am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
It’s interesting that whenever LR bring out something completely new / different there is a backlash from traditionalists. When coils came out for the One Ten and Ninety there was an outcry even though coil springs had been around on a LR product for for over a decade and were well regarded. The same happened when the TD5 was launched and yet this engine is now also well regarded.
I quite like the suspension on my 90, on smooth roads is absolutely fine, however hit a pot hole and it can be quite jarring. My D3 when I had it sailed over pot holes and was supremely comfortable. On my leaf sprung S1,s anything other than a completely smooth Road is painfull, but I still love them.

My 71 RR had very soft coil sprung suspension and it was very comfortable unless you were on a twisty road then sea sickness would set in for some passengers. IMO independent suspension would be the way forward for a new Defender, the vast majority of which seem to spend most of their time on road with little in the way of off road. My D3 was actually far more competent on and off road than my 90, more complex I would agree but a much better ride.
As I say I love my leaf and coil sprung Land Rovers and in many ways I am a traditionalist, however I will be looking at the new Defender very closely when it’s launched and if it’s anything like as competent as a D3/D4 and it ticks my boxes then I may well be tempted.
Post #740261 13th Nov 2018 10:58am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
If I wanted a Disco 3, I'd have bought a Disco 3 Laughing
Post #740847 16th Nov 2018 4:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12