↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Side Locker - Insulation - Is it necessary?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bushpig

Wales 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
Side Locker - Insulation - Is it necessary?
I'm planning to get this fitted this weekend.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

While checking the dimensions and fitment, I've become concerned about the heat radiating off the exhaust and rear silencer.
I'm going to fit a compressor, air line, snatch strap, jumper cables and tyre repair kit but worried the potential heat could melt the insulation and plastic bits.
Trawled through the many posts on these type of lockers and insulating them is never mentioned.
For the fine members out there that have one fitted, feedback on my heat concern would be greatly appreciated...

I've never used insulation before, so presume that something like Dynamat would not work as it would get destroyed by stones, etc. flying off the tyre? And putting the insulation on the inside of the locker would serve little purpose?

Much Thanks in advance... Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #740278 13th Nov 2018 2:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Steve_overland

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Chawton White
Sorry cant help with the question, but where did you get the box... like the look of it?? Building a 110 expedition vehicle, pictures can be found: @steve_overland on Insta.
Post #740284 13th Nov 2018 2:54pm
Snowy90

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Fuji White
No direct experience of fitting these, but some insulation would be a good idea, if your putting electrical equipment i there, I think Silent coat is stronger/thicker than dyna matt and cheaper.

I have heard people putting it under wheel arches to stop stone chips and sound deadening, so should hold up pretty well and you can always recover the underside of it.
Post #740286 13th Nov 2018 3:10pm
Bushpig

Steve_overland wrote:
Sorry cant help with the question, but where did you get the box... like the look of it??

I purchased it from Big Country http://www.bigcountry.co.za/contact-us/
It was on a clearance sale and think they only had 3 available, also not sure what postage would be to the UK!
Put 'side locker' in the search function, there are many manufactures closer to you, Terrafirma pops to mind... Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #740292 13th Nov 2018 3:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bushpig

Snowy90 wrote:
No direct experience of fitting these, but some insulation would be a good idea, if your putting electrical equipment i there, I think Silent coat is stronger/thicker than dyna matt and cheaper.

I have heard people putting it under wheel arches to stop stone chips and sound deadening, so should hold up pretty well and you can always recover the underside of it.

Thanks for the suggestion Thumbs Up
Will have a look if it is available down here... Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #740293 13th Nov 2018 3:43pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
I think you’re over thinking it, the heat from the exhaust at that point is about the same as a sweaty nutsack after a 3 mile jog.

I’ve got a gas bottle fitted in the same place, doesn’t even get warm after hours of driving
Post #740333 13th Nov 2018 6:54pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I have a plastic on board water tank there, it doesnt get warm from the exhaust. I dont think it will be a problem. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #740352 13th Nov 2018 7:48pm
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
^^Me too^^ I've never even thought to check the tank but the water comes out cool so it's obviously not a problem.
Post #740365 13th Nov 2018 8:21pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
if you’re going to ‘plumb” in” the compressor so it will operate without the door being open then I would look at venting the box. If there’s a chance of heavy compressor use then insulation is only going to build up heat inside which will more than likely give issues with the compressor further down the line.
I’ve had one installed for a couple of years and even on a good 4hr run the side nearest to the exhaust doesn’t even get warm to the touch.
Post #740430 14th Nov 2018 12:01am
Bushpig

Surfed around last night and Dynamat / Silent Coat is hellishly expensive over here...
Thanks for all the replies... Indeed I was probably over thinking it, but not anymore Thumbs Up
The compressor will only be used with the door open, for inflating tyres, etc.
Will do a post on the install once done...
Always love the wealth of knowledge and humour on here Bow down Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #740437 14th Nov 2018 5:06am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
looks good bushpig Thumbs Up --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #740453 14th Nov 2018 8:52am
Bushpig

Alarming the Locker
Thanks for the compliment Naks, but still getting on with the installation... will do a post when completed...

I've had a thought on installing a door switch (or whatever switch will be best suited?), wired in with the safari door, to give a layer of security to the locker.
Anyone out there think that this will confuse or cause issues with the 10as?
Basically if the vehicle is locked and alarmed, and a hoodlum breaks into the locker, I want the alarm to sound... Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #741994 24th Nov 2018 12:35pm
Bushpig

Installation, Finally Completed…
Made a new post https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743097.html#743097
To Badger110, James and Whirly90… Indeed heat is a ’No Issue’ did a trip to Cape Point; highway, b roads and puttering around the reserve and the locker got warm, actually barely noticeable.
Thanks again to all for the suggestions and advice Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #743098 30th Nov 2018 5:10am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1