↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My 90 V8 Project
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Made a start on the instrumentation yesterday. Have got TD5 dials for the main dash but the clock has made way for a VDO vision voltmeter which is as close to the OEM gauges as possible. I didnt want to have just one gauge with an orange needle so swapped it out with a white one from an old td5 temp gauge:

Click image to enlarge

Also got three auxiliary gauges mounted in a mud mini pod for the top of the gauge. Also VDO vision so look fairly similar:

Click image to enlarge

Finally got most of the bits fitted into the mudstuff console. Using an alloy starter button at the bottom right which is red illuminated and will light up with the charge warning light so it wont be on when the engine is running. Got the 7 carling switches for all the gizmos along the top and a switch and warning lights for the electric fans. The fans will have two speed settings and the switch gives three positions (auto, off nd high speed) the warning light shows a green light when on high speed and a red light when the switch is set to off.

Click image to enlarge

I just need to make an alloy panel which fits in the bit above the radio which will house the toggle switches for the ignition and two fuel pumps along with their associated pilot lights.

A large parcel of cabling is due to arrive tomorrow so i can hopefully make a start on some more wiring over the weekend.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #736393 23rd Oct 2018 6:57pm
L110CDL

England 
Very nice Steve, like the whole lay out of the switches and the dial's Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #736558 24th Oct 2018 7:37pm
LR Sam

England 
I like the starter! If you are going custom that Mud panel looks great with all the carling switches on it Thumbs Up
Post #736608 25th Oct 2018 6:37am
rallysteve

Thanks, much consideration has gone into the switches, dials and buttons!

Not many pictures to add this weekend as wiring loom manufacture is quite dull!

Tasks start with this large pile Shocked :

Click image to enlarge

Annoyingly i have run out of black heatshrink and ended up having to use red! Passenger side loom built up:

Click image to enlarge

The loom for the passenger side includes relays for the headlights so they are not fed directly through the lighting switch along with relays for the two speed electric fans and spotlights. These are housed in a neat 6way fuse/relay box near the radiator. Havent used one of these particular boxes before but it is a nice neat unit:

Click image to enlarge

Drivers side wing:

Click image to enlarge

Only bit currently connected up to demonstrate working was the sidelights:

Click image to enlarge

Next weekend I am hoping to get one of the two TD5 looms in as first fit so i can set the lengths of any extra cables and install the fusebox in the battery box. This should let me try out all the body systems before i add in the extras.

Post #737407 29th Oct 2018 4:50pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
you cannot beat a good wiring day! Very Happy Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #737452 29th Oct 2018 7:43pm
L110CDL

England 
^^^ agree with that Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #737707 30th Oct 2018 8:55pm
rallysteve

Been a while since my last update. Recent tasks have mostly been odd jobs and wiring related. Both front wing wiring looms are complete as is the one which covers the gearbox, speed transducer and a couple of engine sensors.

Have dummy fitted the bulkhead wiring loom and tested all the required functions. All working fine!

The bulkhead loom is now removed again and laid out onto a large sheet of plywood ready to remove unused circuits and incorporate all the additions.

Refitted the outer wings which was a nightmare. None of the holes line up properly and access is terrible due to the cage legs. Both fitted now though and look fine:

Click image to enlarge

We also completed the air intake system as well as refitting the heater intake, washer bottle etc which was the last under bonnet job with the exception of the engine loom. We have used a Range Rover Efi filter housing which the AFM clips into and a length of industrial vacuum hose to connect to the throttle body. The fikter housing is held to the bulkhead with a custom alloy bracket and two pipe hangar clamps. Quite pleased with the result which i think looks quite factory and similar to a 50th:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

We were planning on using some old 8spoke wheels and Insa Turbo 265 tyres we already had but after a disaster with the paint and after putting the 255/85 spare wheel off my 110 on we decided they look much better that size. Have therefore bought a new set of white wolf style rims and some 255/85 Toyo MTs! 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread

Post #751255 14th Jan 2019 6:24pm
Soner

Greece 
Great job my friend!!
V8 power! Cool
Post #751261 14th Jan 2019 6:43pm
rallysteve

Cheers!

Not too much to report at the moment. Work on the wiring is somewhat hampered by a lack of daylight and having to go to work!

Have cleaned up and painted all of the exterior plastics with Buzzweld PIO satin black and all refitted along with the wheels and tyres. Put a new galv bumper on it too.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also picked up a spare wheel strap to hold the spare down in the bed. Just need to fix an eyelet at the back.

Click image to enlarge

Ran the cables for the rear work lights and LED light bars at the front of the cage in through the truck cab panel using some proper IP67 glands:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Cleaned up the headlining this morning too. Used some magic erasers as i have done previously on my own headlining. Works amazingly well as can be seen:
Before:

Click image to enlarge

During:

Click image to enlarge

After:

Click image to enlarge

Going to hopefully get the headlining fitted tomorrow along with some more jobs ticked off.

Cheers Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread

Post #754088 26th Jan 2019 3:50pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Great job on the headliner. You could do one of those shouty man adverts with results like that.
Post #754089 26th Jan 2019 4:00pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Blimey, that headlining transformation is amazing Shocked Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #754092 26th Jan 2019 4:10pm
Soner

Greece 
Perfect job my friend!!
I like your v8
Post #754095 26th Jan 2019 4:37pm
rallysteve

Thanks all! Thumbs Up

Not really many meaningful pictures to share from this weekend but we had a trial fit of the dash so we could make the cutout for the Mudstuff console:

Click image to enlarge

The dash is a little bit tatty, especially the grey plastic bit, but will have to make do with it for now. I am tempted to have a go at recovering it with vinyl when the weather is a little warmer.

I also tidied up the wiring which comes in through the truckcab rear panel so that we could fit the cleaned up headlining:

Click image to enlarge

I also temporarily refitted the engine wiring loom so that i could check the lengths of each cable. Surprisingly the engine fired straight up and ran quite well.

I just need to crack on and finish all the modifications and additions to the bulkhead loom so we can refit it and start putting all of the interior together.

Post #754819 29th Jan 2019 5:38pm
Alitaff

United Kingdom 
Great work, thoughroughly enjoyed it 👍
Post #754897 29th Jan 2019 11:40pm
rallysteve

Not much more progress to report at the moment. I have about a dozen wires left to route in the bulkhead loom before i can finish testing it and rewrap it.
Have had to make a modification to my twin speed fan circuit as i realised one of the relays is powered with the iginition off which would flatten the battery.

I spent yesterday evening in front of the TV labelling all of the engine wires and fitting some connectors where it will plug into the bulkhead loom:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also did some quick labels for the toggle switches in the centre console:

Click image to enlarge

Am going to get the majority of the weekend to work on it hopefully so am hoping to have all the wiring finished and installed Very Happy

Cheers Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread

Post #756684 6th Feb 2019 7:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>