↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Rosco's Montalcino 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 12 <123 ... 9 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Yeah we really dropped lucky finding a matching wheel so easily, but lesson learnt and I'm pushing for them to fit a second carrier for another spare. Although I'm sure fate will leave us with 4 square wheels next time round Laughing 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW

Last edited by Rosco on 7th Oct 2018 9:43am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #726185 29th Aug 2018 8:10pm
L110CDL

England 
You need a bit of luck every now and then Thumbs Up

The 4 square wheels will be an easy fix, just put the whole lot onto another trailer Laughing 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #726197 29th Aug 2018 9:21pm
Rosco

Time for another update. Realised although I've been tackling little jobs, I've not updated this thread Embarassed

First off, I finally got round to fitting the replacement grill from the Cornish Incident, but also amassed some other parts to do at the same time

Click image to enlarge

So broken grill...

Click image to enlarge

Whilst it was off, I spotted that the mounting brackets on the rad we're looking a little rough, so took the opportunity to scrape back and give a coat of hammerite.

Then as the grill is off, great opportunity to fit the bonnet cable guard from LRD Security. As you can see its far more substantial than the original

Click image to enlarge

But sadly wasnt a straight forward fit, so after a little adjustment to get it under the panel...

Click image to enlarge

we could start thinking about riviting into place

Click image to enlarge

after we'd drilled more holes...

Click image to enlarge

but finally went on a treat.
Grill back on and looking nearly as good as new

Click image to enlarge

As the front number plate was also damaged, although it in truth it was starting to delaminate along the top edge already, I thought it was an ideal opportunity to upgrade to some pressed metal plates, but given the short length of my reg number, also opted for the shorter front plate

Click image to enlarge

I think it looks a lot tidier for not having all the blank space around it

Click image to enlarge

Obviously had the rear one to match as well, albeit the same size as the original

Click image to enlarge

Before

Click image to enlarge

After

Click image to enlarge
 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #733426 7th Oct 2018 10:19am
Rosco

Following day, found another hour to continue a couple more jobs, first being another cable guard from LRD Security, this time under the wing top panel.

Disappointingly no fitting instructions, but looked simple enough, so go stuck in.

First mistake, placing it upside down for the first picture Laughing

Click image to enlarge

For those wondering the slots in the plate are to accommodate the strengthening webs on the back of the grill

Click image to enlarge

Bonnet release cable. Too easy to get at

Click image to enlarge

Plate lines up nicely in the hole, then mark ready to drill additional holes to fix rivets through

Click image to enlarge

So far, so good. But it now becomes a lot trickier, as unless you want to strip all the arch liner out, or have an arm with three wrists, somehow you need to hold the plate under the surface of the wing

Click image to enlarge

My first attempt with some handy thread went well, until I tried applying tension to keep it in place whilst riveting. Plan B was much more successful, if a little Heath Robinson

Click image to enlarge

Rivets all in

Click image to enlarge

Grill back on, at which point a screw rolled away and disappeared forever Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Need to get one sorted from the dealers.

Whilst I was at it, quickly swapped the wiper relay over for a VW 99 relay. Dead simple and a great mod. Should be on everyones list

Click image to enlarge
Post #733440 7th Oct 2018 11:21am
L110CDL

England 
A very productive update Thumbs Up

I much prefer the smaller front number plate, looks good Very Happy

I didn't realise the bonnet cable ran there so i will have a look and see Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #733899 9th Oct 2018 7:40pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
a nice set of crystal lights will set that off! I could have saved you some cash on the grill, you could have had mine for free Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #733914 9th Oct 2018 7:56pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Rosco wrote:
Then as the grill is off, great opportunity to fit the bonnet cable guard from LRD Security. But sadly wasnt a straight forward fit, so after a little adjustment to get it under the panel...

Click image to enlarge

we could start thinking about riviting into place

Click image to enlarge

after we'd drilled more holes...

Click image to enlarge

but finally went on a treat.

I also had to modify my LRD Security guard to get it to fit, although I took a slightly different approach. With the top of the fan cowl removed, it was apparent that the end of the guard was hitting the A/C rad mount, so I cut a small chunk out of the end of the guard:

Click image to enlarge

With a bit of jiggling and releasing the top of the A/C rad frame for clearance, this allowed it to fit using the existing holes in the slam panel:

Click image to enlarge

Rosco wrote:
Grill back on, at which point a screw rolled away and disappeared forever Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Need to get one sorted from the dealers.

Alternatively, use some No.8 x 25mm stainless pan head screws, which won't go rusty. Ever so cheap from eBay and delivered to your door. Also suitable for the headlight surround panels and heater intake grill. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #733945 9th Oct 2018 9:07pm
Rosco

Clayton thanks for the comments

Procta, it happened so long ago, (May?) I think id already bought the replacement grill before yours became available, but thanks for the offer. Appreciated Thumbs Up

LRA, the fitting instructions seemed to skip a step or two, leaving out any explaination on how the trickiest bit was supposed to happen. Sounds like we've both learnt a way round it. I'll be tracking down some screws now you've given me a size to work too. Ideally in a black finish though 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #734013 10th Oct 2018 12:39pm
Rosco

Updated continued....

When it had gone for its service with the dealers I'd commented about the rear door central locking harnesses had broken again, so as a gesture of goodwill they agreed to repair them both for me. They'd only repaired the one side previously, so was chuffed when they said they'd do both. I also mentioned about the jack fiasco, and again they said they would happily swap it, just leave it in the footwell when it went in next. Result Thumbs Up

They had also mentioned about how worn the brake pads were, but dealers always have a tendency to over exaggerate don't they, just trying to get the upsale. Any way knowing i'd be towing a bit in the coming weeks, thought better safe than sorry and got my mate to fire new pads all round.

Click image to enlarge

Turns out the dealers may have been telling the truth for once Embarassed

Click image to enlarge

Strange how the backs have worn so much more than the fronts. There was probably another 5,000 miles left on the fronts easily.

Couple of weekends back, played labourer for the weekend to support SWMBO at an event in Skipton, at the cattle market. Spotted loads of Land Rovers running around, but this one stood out the most, still earning its keep

Click image to enlarge

I got to test the level of grip on wet grass, with a trailer once the main car park was full

Click image to enlarge

And the campsite owner is a man who likes his kit. Bow down After confessing he's a Land Rover man, and has a Heritage stashed away with a handful of miles on it, and the unimog in the yard, he's got this play thing as well

Click image to enlarge

Not at all envious Mr. Green but I know it'll make the defender look economical.

On the way back from that weekend, had a headlight bulb blow out. Perfect, thinks I, I'll upgrade the bulbs. I'd recently seen something about Ring launching a new bulb Xenon 150. Ordered a set from amazon, only to realise I'd actually bought these Embarassed

Click image to enlarge

Well as there here, lets try them

Click image to enlarge

Not the best shot, but standard (drivers side) vs Philips 150 (passenger side) and already looks a cleaner light. I'm yetto use them in anger in the dark, but the little I've done around dawn/dusk they seem loads better

Also treated myself to an RDX LED relay from BoB as I miss the trailer reminder when towing. Still doesnt give the test at first flash that a standard relay did, but better than nothing.

Click image to enlarge
Post #734024 10th Oct 2018 1:09pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Some good little mods Smile

I like the short plate swapped mine a while back. The VW relay what does this actually do? I've had my truck 3 years and never thought I had an issue with the wipers (except I actually need some new ones now the dark winter nights are here)

Click image to enlarge
Post #734039 10th Oct 2018 2:28pm
Rosco

Scott, it just provides an adjustable intermittent wipe function, for those times when its not raining enough for on, but the standard intermittent wipe timings are too far apart.

https://www.andrewnoakes.com/blog/easy-int...grade.html

Alternatively, just flick the wipers on as required Rolling with laughter Cheap and simple mod though. 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #734040 10th Oct 2018 2:35pm
Rosco

Been another busy couple of weeks, so time for a quick update

Having convinced SWMBO that we don’t need the remaining seat in the boot (having not used it once in 18 months), and that we need more space for these events we’re doing, it was time to whip it out

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Much easier doing the second one, and all finished in 40 minutes, even with a assistance from my little helper

Click image to enlarge

All I need now is a little time to make a plyboard shelf to level out between the wheel arches to make stacking the boxes easier

Following weekend, we attended an event in Bakewell which boasted a couple of decent vehicles amongst fellow exhibitors

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And on the Sunday there was vintage/classic truck run from the car park, which made it busy in the onsite café, but plenty to look at in the car park.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It was during this weekend I developed a running issue, which whilst I could drive round it for a few days (not exceeding 1,800rpm) was getting worse. Plugging in resulted in the following codes

Click image to enlarge

The glow plug can wait, but working through the list of possible issues, MAF sensor changed first, no better. Booked in with my local back street to swap the boost hoses with a set from BAS. No better. Only thing left now was to change the intercooler.

The local back street were busy, so enlisting my brothers assistance we set to work using Sadi’s useful how to (https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56229...ntercooler) and the free umbrella from the dealer as an inpromtu bonnet prop

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I’d tracked down a 2nd hand cooler from ebay, not wanting to spend big money if it wasn’t the cooler that was the problem. The replacement is dated 2007, and has a metal end cap on the same side as the end that’s failed on mine. Why did LR down grade this?

Click image to enlarge
Post #737390 29th Oct 2018 2:46pm
L110CDL

England 
Looks so much bigger in the back without the seats in Thumbs Up

Thanks for the pic's of the lorry's, have not seen some of them for a long time, nice one Very Happy

That's a good find and i hope you have found the problem Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #737705 30th Oct 2018 8:52pm
Rosco

Realised its been a few months since I've posted on this thread Embarassed , so time for a quick catch up

Been a busy few months at home with one thing and another, but the defender has been earning her keep in the house hold. SWMBO had a few more wool events to attend towards the end of 2018, so we we're once again pressed into service in our fetch and carry roll.

Didnt mind though as one event was on a working farm so I spent a happy hour or so admiring all the toys

Click image to enlarge

January we finally tied the knot, but couldnt leave the defender out of the day

Click image to enlarge

My sister in law even included it on the cake Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

But enough of all that, what have I done with/to the defender?
After removing the rear seats, I've placed a piece of 18mm ply over the arch boxes to provide the level floor I was after. ITs made it so much easier loading all SWMBO event kit in, rather than trying to play a 3D version of tetris like before. Even the dog approves

Click image to enlarge

Space provided underneath is handy for storing the items you want readily available, although does also become to easily full of tat/junk Embarassed

Having spotted a post by Sulisuli about the screw covers for the sun visors, I realsied it was one of those things that was secretly irritating, so took the plunge myself. I also ordered a set of the B post caps at the same time.

Click image to enlarge

Before

Click image to enlarge

After

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Looks loads better. Thumbs Up
My only negative comment about the sun visor covers is they do keep falling off, so I need to find something to keep them in place. I think a little superglue is in order.

Other than that, pair of new front tyres were in order as down to the indicators after 60,000 miles. Went with the Conti's as relatively happy with the performance for my needs.
Also went back to the main dealers for its 60k service and a wash, and report the corrosion thats bubbling up around the windscreen frame

Click image to enlarge

I need to chase them on that Rolling Eyes

Thats all for now. Promise I wont leave it so long until the next one Thumbs Up 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #774175 21st May 2019 7:13am
L110CDL

England 
Nice update there Rosco Thumbs Up

Always a nice bonus like that you could wonder around the farm looking at the toy's Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #775215 27th May 2019 7:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 12 <123 ... 9 101112>