↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Rosco's Montalcino 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 12 <123 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
kaney

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Well that was a big enjoyable read from page one to the end, thanks
Just at the end noticing the bubbling just check the inside nr the 2 bolts for any corosion before you go in with it as i have looked at a few newer defenders ( mines 08 ) and a lot are going on the bulkhead in this area which as stopped me looking at any more and to keep mine and just repair ( when i can find someone to do the work) it I know i have put the picture on the site before but this is what i found after poking with a screwdriver and whilst you have warranty you have nothing to lose by checking, i also have fitted new JLR door seals and still have dripsin on the passenger side which after reading your post i'm going to check the heater box seal etc.

Click image to enlarge
Post #775239 27th May 2019 10:34pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Clayton, there's got to be some upsides to spending the day surrounded by wool nutters Rolling with laughter Although at other events I tend to slip off to the local town for a couple of hours browsing public houses and looking for eateries she can take me to on expenses Whistle

Kaney, thanks for the heads up on that. I'll go and take a look before I chae the dealers as they still havent come back to me on this issue.

Picked up a Maxxraxx for a steal off eblag the other week as it was missing the mounting plate. Paid for it using my nectar points, and bought the required plate, so effectively only cost about £35. I was expecting it to be a 4 bike version, reasoning I can get away with putting Wee Man's pick in the back for another couple of years, should the 5 of us ever go out together. What turned up was 5 bike version, looking like its never been used. Proper result Thumbs Up

Took a bit of messing around to get it mounted. originally wanted to mount it behind the 50mm ball, but the shape of the plate fouls the bottom of the adjustable slider. Picked up another slider plate and have mounted it on there.

Click image to enlarge

Took it for a test run at the weekedn with the youngest two. Bit a of a fiddle to load, but thats mostly due to the small bikes not either having an A frame, or the A frame is two small to pass over the mounting cups on the maxxraxx, but still a great solution.

Does hang out the back a long way though. Shocked 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #775294 28th May 2019 1:46pm
L110CDL

England 
From what your saying, it seems that you have all the avenue's covered when out with the wool nutters Wink Laughing 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #775335 28th May 2019 8:42pm
Rosco

Another belated update

Had a weekend away with the family over in Ludlow during July, so got to load the sankey and give it a run out. I think SWMBO had forgotten just how much kit we take when we glamp lol

Click image to enlarge

A week later, the defender was dispatched to the bodyshop to have the bubbling paint around the windscreen frame sorted. First time for her to be carried away.

Click image to enlarge

Courtesy car wasnt exactly like for like, but pleasnat enough (if you ignore its 3 cylinder 1.0 litre engine being a little asthmatic)

Click image to enlarge

Given it was only going to be 5 days and nothing planned that required the space/ability of a Defender I was happy enough that I was still mobile. The missus however pointed out that we would have to go on holiday in her 20 year old Picasso as the three kids wouldnt fit across the back seat Whistle

A week later, I gave them a chase, only to be told they were waiting for LR to authorise a replacement screen frame, as the situation was much worse that they had originally thought.

Now this put us in a bit of a quandry, as they were suggesting a time frame now of a further 10 days, and the land rover was needed for wool carrying duties in 7 days, followed by towing duties the following day for a week long Scout camp.

I raised this with LR Customer Services, and they came up trumps. Despite being out of warranty (although still covered by the corrosion warranty Question ), as a gesture of goodwill they said they would contribute towards the cost of a replacement hire vehicle. So we rented this bemoth of a van

Click image to enlarge

Good job as this little lot wasnt fitting in that Seat

Click image to enlarge

Got to admit the transit was a lovely van to drive, and has me looking at the SWB crew vans as a replacement for her aging citreon Whistle 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #789341 29th Aug 2019 2:21pm
L110CDL

England 
^^^

Sounds like a good plan to replace her car with a crew van Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #789648 30th Aug 2019 9:55pm
Rosco

Erm.... I appear to have forgotten about this thread Embarassed so time for a bit of an update.

After the Defender came back from the bodyshop, there was some damage it had picked up from stones passing up the bulkhead which had chipped the paint, and the bodyshop agreed to rectify, and painted the whole bulkhead panel above the bonnet. Sadly the finish had an orange peel look to it

Click image to enlarge

After conversations with the bodyshop they agreed they would send a technician to see if they could rectify without it having to go back in, but thats when the rains arrived in October and it never quite got sorted.

Fast forward to July and on one of the rare occasions I had need to leave the house I spotted a bit of bubbling in the paint on the recently replaced windscreen frame

Click image to enlarge

Cue conversations with the bodyshop and we're in the process of getting it all booked back in again.

What else has been happening?

I've been making us of the plywood floor I threw in to help make the loading of show kit an easier task with a flat floor (although thats not been required for the last few months)

Click image to enlarge

And managed to get three in a row at one event

Click image to enlarge

September, I picked up a passenger mirror (something SWMBO has complained about the lack of for ages) and the heat deflector from MUD. Both dead easy installs.

Click image to enlarge

Mirror got me brownie points after I presented it as a surprise gift

Click image to enlarge

Heat deflector I was unsure about as I've heard mixed reports, so fitted in place without using the provided fixings to see what I thought. There is enough interference fit that I've decided it doesnt need the fixings so I've left it as is.

October I sent my Scenelite back to Labcraft for replacement under their 10 year warranty as the finish had come away.

Click image to enlarge

Replaced without any quibble Thumbs Up

November, finally admitted my LED sidelights were knackered and Bearmach had a spot sale, so grabbed a pair. Some how both lenses had cracks across them and had allowed water inside. Simple job with rewarding results.

Click image to enlarge

December was MOT time, with a failure once again for headlight adjustment. Then a pass straight away. Why not just correct it, and pass it?

January developed a boost leak, whilst away with the family at a wool event. Managed to limp it home, bought an uprated intercooler from BAS, but upon stripping it down discovered nothing wrong with the intercooler.

Click image to enlarge

The UJ on the steering rod has been connecting with the boost pipe and worn it through. Not great, but at least easily repaired.

At some point my Brodit mount (the bit that clips over the dashboard top) worn through and snapped one morning. Bit annoying but bit the bullet and ordered a replacement as been happy with the Brodit system. Turned up swiftly enoough but for some odd reason they've fitted their logo upside down

Click image to enlarge

Needless to say its now unbranded

And finally in June, after deciding for some crazy reason we needed another puppy, I convinced SWMBO that we do need a dog guard in the back. I've had a guard in the shed for years from my Dad's motor, but no fitting kit (surprise surprise) so have been on the hunt for a while, when I finally spotted a complete set not to far from home, so bought it.

Whilst I had the boot empty I took the opportunity to Dynamat the rear floor (another job thats been on the to do list for to long Embarassed )
The fitting instructions from LR arent the easiest to follow and trying to fit the top brackets requires you to be fitted with 6 wrists, and the job was made all the more difficult by SWMBO sending out my little helper who proceed to be very unhelpful at every turn

Click image to enlarge

I got it fitted eventually.

Click image to enlarge

The following day though I discovered my little helper had been expressing his artistic talents

Click image to enlarge

On the side of the sankey

Click image to enlarge

And the rear quarter of the Defender.

Needless to say I wasnt best pleased. I've not tried to see if it polishes out yet, but I'm not looking hopefully as this Montalcino paint is seriously thin. Perhaps the bodyshop can help me out when they have it back shortly Whistle 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #844220 17th Jul 2020 11:22am
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Quote:
Erm.... I appear to have forgotten about this thread Embarassed so time for a bit of an update.

LOL You and me both Rosco !! Maybe i should update mine topic some time
Good to see you still have my sister 110 Smile California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #844223 17th Jul 2020 11:27am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
You’ve been very busy! Same about the windscreen surround again, my td5 one is getting done again in a few weeks Rolling Eyes and thanks for the info on the scenelight Thumbs Up my replacement came through last week Mr. Green Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #844232 17th Jul 2020 12:30pm
Rosco

TJ be good to see an update on yours as no doubt you've had a few adventure with it. I need to get round to refinishing these rear quarter bumpers again that you scuffed in Morroco. Laughing

MK1, glad you've sorted your scenelite as well. Got to say Labcraft will be a company I use again as their customer service is excellent. 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #844247 17th Jul 2020 1:42pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Rosco wrote:
The following day though I discovered my little helper had been expressing his artistic talents...

Ouch! Grounded for life, then?? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #844257 17th Jul 2020 2:30pm
Rosco

All I can say is that this was at the end of the school closure period and he was becoming increasingly bored with being at home, and those large flat panels were the perfect outlet for his inner Banksey.

We had some serious words (well as serious as you can have with a 5 year old) and I think for the first time ever he was actually genuinely sorry. I would have made him polish it out but all I can see in my minds eye is a polishing cloth dropped, fine gritty dirt sticking to said cloth, then it being reapplied to the already scratched area. Shocked

All kind of reminds me of the time my boss was out washing his 6 month old company car and his similarly aged lad was helping him clean the bonnet. Took him a few minutes to realise the lad was using a piece of sand paper and was fetching the paint off pretty well Rolling with laughter 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #844271 17th Jul 2020 4:06pm
L110CDL

England 
Nice update there Rosco until i read the bit about your lad and the back of your 110 Shocked , all i can say is, it would be worse than what Darren put Whistle 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #844342 17th Jul 2020 9:21pm
Arcticrover

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 2.5 TD Tomb Raider LE Bonatti Grey
So sad to hear about the art work, that's one sweet ride!!!
Post #858172 26th Sep 2020 1:44am
Rosco

Bit of an overdue update, but then its not really done much other than ferry the dogs for a good walk.

November saw its service and MOT, end of Jan we got to 80k miles.

This weekend was pressed into service helping my brother get ready for his house move and ferried his car collection out of the way for a few weeks

Fiesta first. Been in the family since about '97, (replacing a Paris blue one my brother did up and then had it nicked the first day it was on the road), was my mom's daily for 12 months then I bought it and ran it for about 2 years, before it was kept as bit of a weekend toy. Been off the road since 2002

Click image to enlarge

Astra was second. He bought this to move it on quick for a bit of profit, but he's had it at least 18 months now lol. Not a genuine GSI so not worth a fortune

Click image to enlarge

Lastly his turbo replica. He's had this probably 20-22 years and considering its been off the road since about 2007/8 its pretty solid.

Click image to enlarge

All tucked away. Maybe now its not under a sheet he'll start sorting this one out to put it back on the road

Click image to enlarge

Only 7 hours in all. Hopefully when we move them to his new house it will be a quicker task now they are all rolling

It has highlighted there appears to be an issue with my trailer electrics, hopefully just a bit of condensation. 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #882343 1st Feb 2021 2:50pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Good work Rosco

Smile Reminds me Shocked need to update my topic as well sometime, but then, still only 15k or so total, not been far !!

Run north later in the week Smile California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #882347 1st Feb 2021 3:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 12 <123 ... 101112>