↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Scotland drink driving limit.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Scotland drink driving limit.
A reminder to those planning a road trip to Scotland this year, as I will be in a few weeks.
The drink driving limit in Scotland is lower than the rest of the U.K.
Scotland 22 micrograms in a breath sample, England, Wales and Northern Ireland 35 micrograms.

The lower limit is likely to be exceeded by a single pint of beer.
So if you like having a pint with your lunch, or a drive out to a country pub, Scotland really isn't the place to do it.

The lower limit also means you're much more likely to be in excess the following day.
If you're planning on driving the next day, I'd advise extreme caution.

https://www.gov.uk/drink-drive-limit

If you are travelling to Scotland, parking the Landrover up for a week and enjoying a drink at the campsite, buy your tipple before the border. Promotional multi buy offers are banned in Scotland, so a nice craft beer in bottle will cost you full price for every single one. No three for £5.00 offers once you're past Carlisle or Berwick!

Enjoy the scenery! Thumbs Up
Post #720160 29th Jul 2018 8:12am
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Didn't actually know either of those things - thanks for the heads up Thumbs Up

To be fair, I don't mix drinking (alcohol) and driving in any form, but still worth knowing for the morning after as you say. Thumbs Up
Post #720215 29th Jul 2018 12:52pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Cancelled my trip to Scotland. Thanks for the heads up Bow down 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #720232 29th Jul 2018 2:20pm
DSC-off

Then there's the time we tried to buy a bottle of single malt whisky in supermarket at 11.30 am on our way home. Embarassed
Made to feel like criminals, the bottle was taken off the check out conveyor with a scowl "you can't buy that before 12.00".
So we loaded the groceries, waited outside, then bang on 12.00 bought the same bottle from the same cashier! Laughing
Post #720280 29th Jul 2018 5:29pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
In Aussie, we have a .05 legal limit, which means for most people one could have two standard drinks in the first hour, then one every hour thereafter,....I wouldn't wanna test it though.
Seems a lot of people get caught, "the morning after".
Pickles.
Post #720372 29th Jul 2018 10:55pm
donmacn

I have no particular problem with any of Scotland's new alcohol laws - driving limit; minimum pricing; multibuys. The first is an attempt to make the roads safer and brings us in line with many other countries. For the rest, while I'm not really sure that Scotland's 'drink problem' is really any worse than the rest of the UK, at least we're trying to do something about it. None of these things has particularly affected me, so maybe my opinions would be different if they had.

DSC-off wrote:
Then there's the time we tried to buy a bottle of single malt whisky in supermarket at 11.30 am on our way home. Embarassed
Made to feel like criminals, the bottle was taken off the check out conveyor with a scowl "you can't buy that before 12.00".
So we loaded the groceries, waited outside, then bang on 12.00 bought the same bottle from the same cashier! Laughing

^^^^ this though! Because I don't have a 'jakey' mindset, I've been caught out a few times. You've packed up for a weekend away in the wild northwest, just need an early start to get shopping in Tescos in the morning, and ...... the drink aisle is closed off. Or the Pipe Band bus is heading north, and you need a slab of Tennants for the journey.... and the drink aisle is closed off. That's a pretty desparate sight - someone in full kilt rig loitering by the barrier, checking his watch because the bus leaves in 5...

It's 10am 6 days a week, why it's 12noon on a Sunday is beyond me. It must be a Presbyterian 'hangover' - and they're the worst kind! Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #720417 30th Jul 2018 9:27am
DSC-off

A timely reminder for those heading North for a tour this year.
There might be a few more "first timers" unaware of this, now travel outside the UK is difficult and the NC 500 is so popular.

Enjoy the trip.

I'm off to Jersey and Guernsey for a change. Thumbs Up

Last edited by DSC-off on 13th Jul 2021 11:05pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #912251 13th Jul 2021 7:29pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
'To be fair, I don't mix drinking (alcohol) and driving in any form, but still worth knowing for the morning after as you say. Thumbs Up[/quote]'

With the state of the roads around here your more likely to spill it if you tried.......that would be a waste Crying or Very sad
Post #912272 13th Jul 2021 9:22pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Pickles wrote:
In Aussie, we have a .05 legal limit, which means for most people one could have two standard drinks in the first hour, then one every hour thereafter,....I wouldn't wanna test it though.
Seems a lot of people get caught, "the morning after".
Pickles.

What’s the drink drive culture like down there now? I was in Perth about 20 years ago and I was alarmed and slightly afraid by the amount of drink driving. Pretty much everyone would drive home after a night out without a second thought. I wondered if it was something to do with the bigger distances and quieter roads meant walking or taxis weren’t so popular. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #912277 13th Jul 2021 9:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1