↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Standard alarm on back door?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
GrouseII

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Coniston Green
Standard alarm on back door?
Hi everyone

I have the very basic 90 Puma van with real wind down windows!! No central locking and the basic alarm with separate remote fob ... I said it was basic.

Anyhow, having scared myself half to death on a few occasions when forgetting to unset the alarm before opening the driver or passenger door with the key I have discovered the rear door opens without setting off the alarm.

Is this normal crappy behaviour (ie help yourself to thieves Landrover over sight) or do I need to investigate a fault?

Thanks

Grouse2
Post #696526 27th Mar 2018 6:09pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Does the rear door have a switch that operates the interior light? If not, that's why it doesn't trigger the alarm. If it does, then there's a fault somewhere as the door switches all work in the same way and it's not a complicated arrangement. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #696546 27th Mar 2018 7:26pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
By default there should be one fitted, although mine had gone missing before I bought it.

It's a purple wire.
Post #696584 27th Mar 2018 9:38pm
GrouseII

Thanks.

When I said it was basic, it really is ... no interior rear light (which is a pain)

I guess I will have to remove the rear door fascia to go in hunt of the purple wire, is there any kind of wiring diagram available online that might show if and where my variant might need one should it be missing, or do i need to buy a Haynes manual?

Grouse2
Post #696962 29th Mar 2018 3:31pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello GrouseII

Best Photo I have...2.4 Puma Rear Door but with a rear Trigger Switch + an Interior Light... Shocked

This is the general arrangement, the wire from memory splits off from the loom supplying the
Rear Door (Heated Window... I guess that's a No for you, and Rear Wiper, probably a Yes Very Happy )

The bracket holding this looms entry into the rear door also acts on the Trigger Switch when closed
the wire you are looking for is within your 90 OS Rear Interior Panel Work... (Not the Rear Door)

A Switch and 'Push Plate' bracket can easily be retro fitted...hopefully you will have some bits in
place already.

Click image to enlarge

Good Luck SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #696982 29th Mar 2018 4:47pm
Lotus_esprit_s1

I too have a base model 2.4 Puma 90 hardtop, Mine didn’t even have a heated rear screen or rear wiper let alone a rear door loom!

The standard rear door push switch which it is fitted with from the factory operates the front interior light which in turn sets off the alarm.
Post #697089 29th Mar 2018 10:44pm
GrouseII

Thanks Skip

Now, before I atttack the door facia with a flat head screw driver and lots of leverage, experience tells me i'll break all the little plastic lugs and it'll never fit back on again ... properly.

Aside of removing the grab handle what is the secret to getting this panel off so it will go back on again?

BTW. Chuffed you went to the bother of taking the photo for me Smile

re Lotus comment that is probably good news that there is a fault rather than missing as opening my rear door does NOT put the front interior light on.

Post #697451 31st Mar 2018 4:51pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi GrouseII
I can't make it out from your photo, but do you have the black bracket already fitted with the flat section that would push in the door contact switch as per X4SKP's photo?

Even if not, you may not need to remove the rear door trim to fit it as the bolts which hold it in place appear to be accessible without removing the trim.

I stand to be corrected on this, but I think the wire you need to find for the door switch will be behind the rear trim panel if it is there. I don't think it will be in the door. The door switch is mounted to the fixed part of the bodywork, not the door.
The door switch would fit in the hole in the bodywork I can see in your photo above where the black flexible wiring conduit leaves the bodywork and goes across to the door.
Post #697457 31st Mar 2018 5:05pm
GrouseII

Thanks gentlemen

Now I understand Smile

Yes, I am missing the little plunger switch in the body but oddly do have the relevant hi-tec bracket to push it.

Weird how it is missing, anyhow I now have the knowledge I need to make secure :'D may be not, my landrover rear entry!

Thanks to all again

Grouse2
Post #697472 31st Mar 2018 5:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1