↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Walked past our local dealer today.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Walked past our local dealer today.
Took our Volvo in for a service today, on one of the typical car retail areas, with loads of dealers for all marques all in one place. The Volvo dealer is right next door to Landrover. I've been going to the LR place for years, drooling over Defenders before taking the plunge on a new one. I usually still call in to look at their stock when visiting Volvo.

Today one glance at the showroom and forecourt showed there were no Defenders to be seen. Nothing they currently sell seemed worth the time to spend a few minutes looking at. So just out of interest, and seeing as the cars are closely related, we walked along the road to Jaguar to see the E Pace. The £50k First Edition looked nice, but the bog standard one with "small" wheels was lacking something visually.
Next up was Ford, I love Mustangs, but after sitting in a few 'premium' European models the Mustang was a disappointment. It seemed cheap and poorly finished, that's probably because it WAS the cheapest car we sat in!

Where to next? The garden centre.
Whoopee.
So there you have it, I'd rather call at the garden centre than a Land Rover dealer these days. Sad times. Sad

The car that got the top vote of the day was the Volve XC60. Thumbs Up
Post #692507 10th Mar 2018 9:00pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
I think the dealers now don't really want to be associated with the defender as its old hat and they can't wait for the new model to arrive Neutral
Post #692511 10th Mar 2018 9:05pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Given the time since the last Defender was produced - January 2016, it's not surprising that main dealers have nothing to look at.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if there were still a few out there unsold. In the financial year ending March 2017 JLR recorded 1,380 sales of the Defender, 1 Jaguar XK and 7 Freelanders - production of the latter two ceased in 2014. Shocked
Post #692587 11th Mar 2018 10:31am
Freypal

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Portofino Red
Re: Walked past our local dealer today.
DSC-off wrote:
Took our Volvo in for a service today, on one of the typical car retail areas, with loads of dealers for all marques all in one place. The Volvo dealer is right next door to Landrover. I've been going to the LR place for years, drooling over Defenders before taking the plunge on a new one. I usually still call in to look at their stock when visiting Volvo.

Today one glance at the showroom and forecourt showed there were no Defenders to be seen. Nothing they currently sell seemed worth the time to spend a few minutes looking at. So just out of interest, and seeing as the cars are closely related, we walked along the road to Jaguar to see the E Pace. The £50k First Edition looked nice, but the bog standard one with "small" wheels was lacking something visually.
Next up was Ford, I love Mustangs, but after sitting in a few 'premium' European models the Mustang was a disappointment. It seemed cheap and poorly finished, that's probably because it WAS the cheapest car we sat in!

Where to next? The garden centre.
Whoopee.
So there you have it, I'd rather call at the garden centre than a Land Rover dealer these days. Sad times. Sad

The car that got the top vote of the day was the Volve XC60. Thumbs Up

The new Volvos are quite special, id look at an XC60 when my V60 deal is up. Really like the look of the new XC40 too.
Post #692602 11th Mar 2018 2:23pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Just bought a 90 XS HT from main dealer and they were very happy to have mine in part-ex, which they sold in a week, so they made a margin on both of course Big Cry

Guess not all dealers are the same . . . . . . . Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #692642 11th Mar 2018 6:21pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
"The new Volvos are quite special, id look at an XC60 when my V60 deal is up. Really like the look of the new XC40 too."

I was really keen to see the XC40, as the first model on the Volvo CMA platform, giving a pointer as to where they are going with the small cars. Our current V40 may be replaced with the new model at some time.
The XC40 is very nicely finished inside, not quite in the same league as the 60 & 90, but they are going for the Audi, BMW, Evoque market. Boot size is a good improvement over the V40.

LR dealers seem to be doing ok, just selling the odd used Defender that occasionally comes their way.
Buyers of new Defenders have either moved on elsewhere, or are holding on to what they have.
Times change, there's bigger changes yet to come with electric and autonomous vehicles.
Who knows what we'll be driving in 10 years time?
Maybe, if it's good enough and worth the price, it might be a Landrover.
Post #692737 11th Mar 2018 10:48pm
NoDo$h

England 
Just about to take delivery of a new XC60 T5 250 Petrol to replace our ageing D3 Thumbs Up 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #697217 30th Mar 2018 2:30pm
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
No wonder you've got no dosh! Rolling Eyes I was looking at a specc'd one last night to replace the other half's BMW and they're bloody strong money! Could buy an ex demo Rangie for same money it seemed!
Post #697228 30th Mar 2018 3:27pm
NoDo$h

England 
There are solid discounts on them at the moment as Volvo are desperate to get market share against Jag F Pace and Audi Q5 in particular.

£35k against list (with options) of £41k Thumbs Up 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #697239 30th Mar 2018 4:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1