Home > Off Topic > Potholes Ahhh!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Potholes Ahhh!
Potholes Ahhh!
I drive around Manchester and the state of the roads there are shocking. Some of the potholes are ten inches deep all that seems to be happening is some bloke goes around with a yellow spray can marking them, I do not know if this is to make them more noticeable or they are marked for repair sometime in the next six months or never.

Wales, the roads are not quite so bad probably as the roads there have less traffic.

I am sure wherever you live the terrible state of the roads is the same.

And with the RAC issuing this statement today
‘The RAC said after-effects from the cold snap could last for years to come as conditions "wreak havoc" on the roads. Our roads were already in a poor state of repair before the extreme cold weather hit’

I suppose I am glad I drive a Defender at least the vehicle can cope with the road surface. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #691997 8th Mar 2018 5:48pm
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Plenty on potholes around here. Shocked
Don't think I've ever seen it as bad.
You seem to have to concentrate on trying to miss them all the time when driving.
Takes your mind off whatever else is going on the roads. Bloody dangerous Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Last edited by DAZ110 on 8th Mar 2018 10:02pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #691999 8th Mar 2018 5:53pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Same round by me even on the motorways I think they repair them with coco pops Rolling with laughter
Post #692000 8th Mar 2018 5:58pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
As Mick says they are bad around here! Found this on our td5 the other day Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

New springs should have been here today but it snowed again Big Cry Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #692005 8th Mar 2018 6:29pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Good grief thats incredible Mk1... Shocked Must have been a heck of a shock through the vehicle.
Post #692007 8th Mar 2018 6:42pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
I know a lady that works here http://www.lesjofors-automotive.com and they have a job keeping up with demand the warehouse is mahoosive Shocked
Post #692011 8th Mar 2018 6:56pm
mk1collector

geobloke wrote:
Good grief thats incredible Mk1... Shocked Must have been a heck of a shock through the vehicle.

It's that bad around here I didn't notice the actual offending pothole that broke them. It just felt a lot more crashey the other morning then when I parked up I noticed it looked very low at the front Big Cry Ray
My build thread
Post #692037 8th Mar 2018 8:05pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Our County Council highways department send two guys out in a Transit Connect armed with a spray can of yellow paint. They drive the area looking for potholes and when they find one (they're not that difficult to find!) they spray a circle of yellow marker paint around it. A few days later a team of four guys in an Iveco truck then proceed to search out these marked potholes and fill them in with cold fill tarmac. Hard to believe it takes two vehicles and six men to fill in one pothole.

What's even more ironic is that two of the four guys on the Iveco truck are the same two guys that marked the potholes three days earlier. Has no one in our County Council Highways worked out that the same two guys could search out and fill in the potholes at the same time. Big Cry Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #692060 8th Mar 2018 9:33pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Please, please Discomog, do you not realise it takes an extremely high level of training to recogise a pothole. Now please remember that the definition of what constitutes a pothole can vary on a daily basis and council to council. That is for the 'simple' identification of a pothole.

Now to fill in said designated pothole rather then a challenging hole for a LR you need a couple of coco coco pop gorillas to fill in said designated pothole rather then a LR challenging hole by a couple of highly trained pothole spotters.

You should be ashamed of yourself DM not to recognise and appreciate the highly developed skills of the highly trained pothole
spotters. Shame on you Razz

Brendan
Post #692074 8th Mar 2018 10:32pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Pothole technicians. Whistle Rolling with laughter Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #692081 8th Mar 2018 10:44pm
Gonarezhou

South Africa 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alaska White
Ha ha ha .... yes you guys in the north have snow, salt and other things to worry about! But when it comes to potholes you are not even on the radar for those of us in Southern Africa ..... the concept of someone painting them with yellow paint here Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #692095 8th Mar 2018 11:36pm
mk1collector

Don't forget that you can't claim money off a council for damage to your car if they know about a pothole! I don't know why because surely a pothole they haven't fixed but know about can still damage a car, or maybe the council put some invisible force field over the pothole when they know about it Rolling Eyes Ray
My build thread
Post #692103 9th Mar 2018 12:27am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
mk1collector wrote:
Don't forget that you can't claim money off a council for damage to your car if they know about a pothole!

I thought it was the other way around - once they are aware of the issue then it becomes their statutory responsibility...
Post #692122 9th Mar 2018 8:24am
mk1collector

That’s not what happened when one of the wife’s old cars hit a pothole that damaged the tyre, spring, top and bottom mounts Shocked they wouldn’t entertain any claim even with photos, times and witnesses because they already knew about it and had it schedualed for fixing. I think with that being the case they should come them off but maybe I’m being too sensible Rolling Eyes Ray
My build thread
Post #692141 9th Mar 2018 10:03am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
It seems there's a many tiered defence some councils put up if you claim. My wife's claim failed because her notification of a pothole was the first they received and the hole was fixed two days later.

In the words of the RAC:

"Councils have a statutory defence in that they cannot be held liable for a defect they are not aware of - either because it has not been reported to them or it has not been picked up their own system of inspection and maintenance."
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/road-safety/report-a-pothole/

If they were aware then the issue moves on to whether they are able to repair it within a timescale that is deemed reasonable, meets their own policy, national standards, etc. There's lots of info out there on this...but one thing seems clear, you have to be persistent to get over the many hurdles on the way."
Post #692146 9th Mar 2018 10:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>