↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Caravan Towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Caravan Towing
To provide a place to live while we do our renovation we have bought a 2nd hand caravan Shocked

This is our first caravan (although I've had caravans when I was young and we have had motorhomes). I've only ever towed trailers, so welcome any pointers.

Specifically it has a hitch head stabiliser will my etc up (about the right height)) be OK to tow that.

I've only got to do 90miles to get it in place and it will be largely empty with maybe 1gas bottle and a battery

Any other tips welcome Thumbs Up Mike
Post #654462 2nd Oct 2017 10:33pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

We moved and lived in our touring caravan over 3 months with a 2year old and 6 year old....ooh and over winter while we did our current house up Thumbs Up

You might want to check if your using the defender the caravan hitch lock can get past the spare wheel. The stabilisers can move up quite high before you hook the van on.

Also check your car electrics for lights are compatible with the socket on van, easy enough to swap with a converter but you may need one.

Then depending how old van is check tyres are ok for the journey and 'I think' it's law to have additional mirrors to see to the back of the van.

Just take it easy and choose the best quite time you can to move it. I always stop and check after a few miles all is ok, pull in and check no brakes catching, breakaway cable definitely on, lights are working etc etc.

Good luck it's certainly a challenge living in it full time Thumbs Up But you sure appreciate all the time and effort getting the house ready.
Post #654466 2nd Oct 2017 10:52pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Noticed the bit about the ride height,

Assuming all the rest is ok it should be fine for a shortish drive without weight. Just take it easy speed wise.

Also remember a rear plate, I forgot one moving my mother in laws van, so wrong height.... I wasn't even happy with it fitting on tow ball the way it did with the drop plate and a hand written number plate in back window of the van....

It was shouting 'police stop me now)

All good though
Post #654467 2nd Oct 2017 10:56pm
Paulv8

1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Alpine White
You will need to hitch up with the rear door open if it's an alko hitch probably. V8 90...WIP
Post #654470 2nd Oct 2017 11:27pm
mse

Thanks both...glad someone else lived in one!

Good tips especially about having the door open.

Do the defender mirrors on the outer setting see far enough of the back corners as per the towing rules?

This is my dixonbate ball and pin, it drops down another inch or so to get it into height range.... I know it looks a little greasy , it won't be on Friday Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 Mike
Post #654474 3rd Oct 2017 1:10am
nosnibod

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
With a NAS-style tow-step you should be okay for clearance with an Alko-style stabiliser - the step moves the tow-ball far enough back for the handle. As you say, degrease the tow-ball first to enable the friction pads to do their job.

The caravan should sit slightly nose-down or level, never nose-up, so I'd suggest setting your tow-hitch as low as possible on the setup you've got. The DB hitch/pin setup does position the tow-ball itself higher than a normal towball so that extra inch of drop would be useful.

Also, that DB hitch/pin doesn't look like an Alko-compatible one so you may find that the hitch catches on the top of the pin - you may want to temporarily remove the pin to allow clearance. On the Alko-compatible one the ball has a taller neck to allow clearance and even with this, you are supposed to remove the pin to allow room and stow in in a supplied bracket.

Depending on the width of the caravan you will need towing mirrors. The simplest way to find out is to measure the width of the van (or look it up on the Internet) and then measure the width of the Defender with the mirrors extended. If the caravan isn't at least 3 or 4 inches narrower than the Defender you won't be able to see down the sides of the caravan and you won't be legal and you won't be able to see enough behind you to be safe. We use the Milenco Grand Aero ones clamped to the underside of the mirror arms and they work very well. Our latest caravan was wider than than the last one (2.26m) so I had to get the longer arms that Milenco sell as spares to be legal.

Also, despite the caravan being mostly empty, make sure you have enough noseweight - there are many caravans that have minimal noseweight out of the factory so don't take anything for granted. We run ours at 100kg which is the maximum allowed by the caravan chassis but anything over 80kg should be fine. If necessary stow a few heavy items in the locker at the front of the caravan to get the noseweight up to something reasonable. Dave
Gracie - 2015 110 XS County Station Wagon
Post #654478 3rd Oct 2017 6:15am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
wish I had brought a caravan to live in when I did my renovation my house ended up with no water and no gas for 6 months over winter not much fun especially as it was mega dusty. mind you we got fit as we visited the gym every night for a shower and just had to do an hour in the pool as we were there DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #654479 3rd Oct 2017 6:23am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I tried to open the door to hitch my mother inlaws van on..

Its worked until I tried to shut it and hit the handbrake in the lowest position. Ended up taking off the spare what a phaff...

and how heavy are they getting back on the car !!

Good point if the caravan has an alko stabilizer the tow ball should be an alko one (they are slightly different)
Post #654494 3rd Oct 2017 8:12am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I've towed an Alko hitch with a DB ball and pin with the pin removed and it was fine. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #654500 3rd Oct 2017 8:32am
mse

Thanks guys...Great advice.

So ill need to remove the pin to get it up there - noted Thumbs Up . I do use the pin, usually for strops and stuff to drag etc so dont want to loose it and as the D/B works for trailers i dont really want to change it unless we switch to towing regularly. It sounds like it will be ok without the pin?

The caravan is apparently 2.29m wide - so ill need to work out the width, it would be nice without the added expense of towing mirrors for 1 journey. the house is getting expensive already

I will look to drop in 2 gas bottles and it has a spare wheel in the nose locker - hopefully that will get it to a health nose weight - the 110 has a load of tack going up there (as i wont leave tools in the property) so that certainly drops the rear 1/2 inch +, the dealer we are getting it off hopefully will check the nose weight - do they still do those things you lower it on to to tell you the weight or is there a more sophisticated way?

As for the renovation - no electric there and a heating system that i wouldnt put a match near so no chance to stay in it - although 2 days of clearing the property finally has light into it for the first time in ages etc.

Still not up to living in for a while! Hopefully the caravan will sort us out - its not the caravan i would get if we were touring in it but money, time, need and spec its about the best we can do! Mike
Post #654511 3rd Oct 2017 9:25am
nosnibod

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
You'll be fine without the pin.

And at 2.29m that's wider than ours (2.26m) so you will need mirrors to be legal and safe. Dave
Gracie - 2015 110 XS County Station Wagon
Post #654513 3rd Oct 2017 9:38am
mse

Thanks, really appreciated.

Ill have to find some mirrors now Mike
Post #654523 3rd Oct 2017 10:33am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I think those that have posted so far have covered what you need to do. Dependant how you find the dealer you may get discount on your mirrors get them to set them up so that you can see to the rear correctly. The place I bought my first caravan spent 30 minutes explaining how to tow the caravan . I have towed many a new caravan for friends with a light nose weight as long as it is nose down you should by okay. Unless it has a large front locker you will only get 9kg bottles in it which are very expensive to get refilled

As you are spending the coldest months in the caravan ask them if the have done the gas and electric systems check and if they are safe to use, ask to see the check list, also check the vents are no blocked and that the carbon dioxide detector is working. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #654529 3rd Oct 2017 10:59am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
mse wrote:
....Ill have to find some mirrors now

Hello mse...you may find that your local caravan centre (who you may get to know well over the coming months) may be able to lend you a set of Towing Mirrors for your 'one journey', maybe a long shot, but I heard a conversation in mine recently that went this way...maybe worth a try (if you don't know anyone that has a set that could be borrowed)

Vision Rules for Rear View Door Mirrors...

My Alko Hitch did need (was reccomended in the spec's) a long neck (swan neck) Tow Ball
all advice by others is good so far...it is also recommended that the Tow Ball is cleaned with White Spirit
prior to attaching the Alko Hitch (to ensure the friction plates within the hitch are not contaminated).

http://www.al-ko.com/shop/uk_vt/al-ko-exte...C4QAvD_BwE

Good Luck SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #654547 3rd Oct 2017 12:01pm
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
The spare wheel is a nightmare. I'm on 33's so it weighs a ton and if i line up straight the jockey wheel handle fouls on the door.

The only way I can get it on is to reverse in on an angle from the left-hand side and open the rear door, then I can just clear the jockey wheel handle to open and close the rear door. Failing that I either have to jack the back of the landrover up with the hi-lift jack to allow me to drop the jockey wheel low enough to clear the handle on the rear door.
At least I know no-one is going to rob it if we stop at the services etc!!! 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #654587 3rd Oct 2017 2:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1