Home > My Defender > My 90 having a full rebuild
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 16 <123 45 ... 141516>
Print this entire topic · 
MetalMatt

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Baltic Blue
GREENI wrote:
We'll done, nearly there. Keep at it.

Nearly done yes, its good to see it taking shape again a good moral booster Smile, but still got all the wiring to do which will be a nightmare as i dont get on with wires Laughing
Post #595852 24th Jan 2017 11:03am
L110CDL

England 
You cant beat that combo with the wheels and tyres that you are going to put on the landy as well Whistle 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #596269 25th Jan 2017 9:22pm
L90DNY

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Corris Grey
Looking good Thumbs Up Big fan of the colour. Not too long now if there are no other major hurdles!
Just wondering if there's any particular reason you've got series doors on ?
Post #596456 26th Jan 2017 4:59pm
MetalMatt

L110CDL wrote:
You cant beat that combo with the wheels and tyres that you are going to put on the landy as well Whistle

Totally agree, I may get a set of black alloys with some all terrain tyres on as a spare set and for going to shows, makes long distance driving a little bit easier not having the rumble of mud tyres Laughing
Post #596663 27th Jan 2017 9:39am
MetalMatt

L90DNY wrote:
Looking good Thumbs Up Big fan of the colour. Not too long now if there are no other major hurdles!
Just wondering if there's any particular reason you've got series doors on ?

Ye i love the colour too, my very first car 300tdi discovery was in the same colour and i fell in love with it over the 7yrs of ownership

Before

After

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hopefully there wont be any other major hurdles, its pretty much wiring and reconnect the enine pipe work up and wings on (probably more)

As to the series door a few reasons: Very Happy Very Happy
1) it used to be just my off road toy, and i snapped the door handles on a tree (the push button type doors) Whistle
2) the original door on the 90 were rotten to the point of no return (these series doors i pulled off a 1972 series land rover and they are solid)
3) in summer looks good driving down the road with no window tops on (when we get summer) Thumbs Up
4) i think it just breaks up the blue abit lol
5) who doesnt like sliding windows haha (other than SWMBO Rolling with laughter )

I do still have the other doors in the shed, and since doing this rebuild and finding YRM on the web (never heard of them until i started the rebuild), and seeing they do the door repair panels etc i may in a year or 2 pull them out and strip them down and fix them up and put new door handles on them and repair the rot and manual window winding mechanism. Thumbs Up
Post #596668 27th Jan 2017 10:01am
MetalMatt

Well finally got the roof bolted down to the 90 on saturday. Pulled everything into place and has given the 90 some rigidity. but now the boot door doesnt shut properly lol, the latch needs re-positioning.
Got the seat belts and seat belt mounts in. hand brake was a right little git to do, finishing the day off with putting the roof liner back in as well.

also finished the transmission tunnel off and got that all bolted down. oh and i put a rear light on the back of the roof that i bought way back in 2015 and found it kicking about in my bedroom Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next is the Seats and Chubby box and drivers door handle, Then its all action with the engine and plumbing all the pipe work in.
Post #597608 30th Jan 2017 12:12pm
L110CDL

England 
Nice bit of progress Matt, it is a very nice blue Thumbs Up Dont forget the electric's first Whistle 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #597815 30th Jan 2017 9:20pm
MetalMatt

More work done this weekend, busy going through boxes of bits from when it was stripped and adding them back on to the 90. so now the interior is done. Apart from the Dash board which i am going to leave off just in case there is any electrical issues once the 90 is back up and moving, after a month or so i will put the dashboard back in.
Think i am going to get some new seats as the old ones look abit S**T

Click image to enlarge

Then i put the steering guard on, and came across this number. There wasnt one on the old chassis am i right in guessing this is the new chassis number?

Click image to enlarge

Also put the radiator and intercooler back in to the cradle and mounted that on, next i need to get some hose/jubilee clips and i can start attaching all the pipe work and then start the wiring, and put the wings and bonnet on Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #599553 6th Feb 2017 12:51pm
L110CDL

England 
Another move forward Matt Thumbs Up Yes to the new number Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #600219 8th Feb 2017 9:35pm
MetalMatt

No work on the 90 for a while now, Just been on my Explorer Scouts winter camp up at Hag Dyke in Kettlewell, needless to say it has been a very cold weekend. But very enjoyable.
It was also the first time in about a year my Discovery got to stretch its springs up the 2 mile track to the hostel.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #601433 13th Feb 2017 11:19am
L110CDL

England 
Great pics Matt, thanks for sharing them Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #601577 13th Feb 2017 8:35pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Great Pics Matt,...any history on that building?
Pickles.
(it's been 45C down in Aussie recently!)
Post #601586 13th Feb 2017 8:54pm
MetalMatt

L110CDL wrote:
Great pics Matt, thanks for sharing them Thumbs Up

Not to worry, everyone loves seeing land rovers in snow Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #601724 14th Feb 2017 10:43am
MetalMatt

Pickles wrote:
Great Pics Matt,...any history on that building?
Pickles.
(it's been 45C down in Aussie recently!)

See Below for the History on the building and the Highest Chapel in England Very Happy Thumbs Up

Hag Dyke, in the picturesque Yorkshire Dales is a Scout Hostel administered by the Ben Rhydding Scout and Guide Group in Ben Rhydding, Ilkley. The Hostel was bequeathed to the group in 1947 and has been run by a group of volunteer wardens for the benefit of Scouts and other Youth Groups ever since.

The building was originally a farmhouse and its occupants traced back to 1730, but it is probably older and could have housed miners working in Dowber Ghyll lead mines opened in 1680, the area of the kitchen is the oldest. At 1525 feet it was believed to be the highest house in the former West Riding. A “Dyke” in Dales dialect means a mountain dividing wall and “Hag” means enclosed land or an intake (from the moor in this case). The name therefore means the wall bounding the intake from the moor. The house is reputed to be haunted!!

In 1959/60 the farmhouse was entirely rebuilt as a Scout hostel. A new roof and new floors were installed. The long barn (with its’ traditional width of 16 to 18 feet to allow turning of 2 oxen) was pulled down and rebuilt as a common room and dormitories. The original roof beams were preserved and a 44 inch thick wall excavated to provide a connecting door, nearly killing a workman in the process. Rebuilding took a year, with everything being brought up by local farmers tractors. Workmen stayed at Hay Tongue farm and the weather was incredibly fierce

The Chapel
At 1533 feet it is the highest in England. First opened in memory of late Group Scoutmaster Cecil Findlay in 1954 being converted from a hay-store of the adjoining barn. In 1966 the chapel was extended with a memorial window to the late County Commissioner John Foster Beaver Jnr. It was dedicated by the Bishop of Bradford on July 23rd 1966. An additional window in memory of Ronnie “Skipper” Ibbetson was installed in 1985.

The District
Kettlewell was an Anglican village dating from about 700A.D. and is mentioned in the Domesday Book. Later it was occupied by Norse farmers who gave Norse names to most of the area. Due to nearby monasteries and its position on cross roads it was a busy place in the Middle Ages. A weekly market was granted to Kettlewell in 1320 A.D. Later the main London to Richmond trunk road ran through the village and over Park Rash. Posting inns were the Kings Head Kettlewell and Horse House in Coverdale. Later the opening of the lead mines made it even busier. Most of the village was destroyed in June1686 A.D. by a cloudburst and extensive flooding. The Kings Head is one of only four in the whole country named after Charles 1st. The Tor Dyke crossing the Park Rash road near the cattle grid was built in 69 A.D. by the Brigantes as an outlying defence of their tribal centre at Stanwick against the Romans. Later it marked the boundary of Scale Park, a medieval hunting park, used amongst others by Charles II.
Post #601726 14th Feb 2017 10:46am
MetalMatt

&t=701s

For anyone who is interested here is the trip down from Hag Dyke Scout Hostel to Kettlewell. if you have 26 minutes to spare. with a couple of sketchy patches on ice that was under the snow. Very Happy Mr. Green
Post #601799 14th Feb 2017 2:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 16 <123 45 ... 141516>