↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Heavy oil use
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LRnovice

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Auto Belize Green
Heavy oil use
My 2008 puma has 91,000 miles and has started using around 1 litre per 1000miles. Dealer hasnt found anything so far. There is absolutely no smoke from the engine when driving. However on starting there is quite a lot of white/grey smoke for about 5 seconds, maybe a tinge of blue. There is also a whistling noise from the engine bay which seems to get quieter as the engine heats up. I have reads this could be turbo seals and if so can this cause the loss of oil. Thanks
Post #577964 15th Nov 2016 6:58pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If it's losing oil, it's either leaking out or being burnt. I imagine you'd notice a leak, so burning is more likely. Turbo seals failing would do it, since the oil pumped into the turbo bearings will leak into the induction system and be burnt, and is perhaps the most likely cause. On a 2008 you are in the at risk period for the dreaded PCJ (piston cooling jet) problem which resulted in serious bore wear and could also be a cause for heavy oil consumption.

The whistling noise could be turbo/intercooler hoses, or the exhaust manifold to head, or manifold to turbo gaskets.
Post #577980 15th Nov 2016 7:45pm
hornet

What trip-range do you drive? It often is caused due to short trips, motor is not getting warm. Another point will be viskosity of the oil you use. 0w- or 5w- can make a difference.
I would not overstate a higher consumption.
Post #577987 15th Nov 2016 8:00pm
LRnovice

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Auto Belize Green
Thanks for the advice. Im hoping its not the PCJ problem as a new engine will be expensive I imagine.
Post #578003 15th Nov 2016 9:01pm
Hellz

My tdci 2010 was using around the same 1lt to 1000miles no smoke . It has done around 50.000 miles got it when it was on 47.000 miles. So not sure how long it had been using so much. Was a cheap easy fix turned out to be the copper washers on bottom end of the injectors all 4 letting buy. Done 2000 miles since and not a drop of oil used. Thumbs Up
Post #578592 17th Nov 2016 11:45pm
snowric

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
my 2009 tdci was using this and then epic amounts. Turned out that the rocker cover was not properly sealed, that the oil filter was not properly attached and the sump was leaking. What was weird was that there was not tons of oil lying around the front yard/ drive.

There was oil on the side of the engine where the rocker cover was leaking; oil all round the filter housing and a bit of oil around the sump.

But these have all been dealt with and now I use next to no oil 63k Puma.

I too get a little smoke on start up. Snowy
Post #579454 21st Nov 2016 4:26pm
hornet

Hellz wrote:
My tdci 2010 was using around the same 1lt to 1000miles no smoke . It has done around 50.000 miles got it when it was on 47.000 miles. So not sure how long it had been using so much. Was a cheap easy fix turned out to be the copper washers on bottom end of the injectors all 4 letting buy. Done 2000 miles since and not a drop of oil used. Thumbs Up

I belive it solved your problem. But how does oil consumption and badly seated/sealed injectors correspond? Is it due to the loss of compression that oil is able to get along the piston rings into the chamber where it is burnt? Or is there another explanation?
Post #580374 25th Nov 2016 1:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1