↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Bailliffs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Bailliffs?
They are airing on TV the good side of these unemployable knuckle draggers showing how helpful and understanding they are. Has anyone been on the recieving end of these failed traffic wardens? 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #578534 17th Nov 2016 9:47pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Only the phone calls and letters thank goodness.
For some reason one of our ex members of staff used the business contact details for all his debts.

We were getting about three calls a week but eventually managed to persuade them that we weren't the correct people to be talking to.
Post #578545 17th Nov 2016 10:04pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
I have never received a call from such a person.
But I worked in the Finance Industry for 40 yrs, predominantly in the Collections area (collecting overdue payments) where one comes across all sorts of people who use all sorts of reasons not to pay what they owe.
So unfortunately I can understand why such people are employed.
Pickles.
Post #578548 17th Nov 2016 10:12pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
My sympathy is with the Bailiffs or 'knuckle draggers' as they've been referred to - whilst there have been a couple of genuine people who have got into debt and are being evicted or chased for money, have you seen and heard the lying, cheating, violent, slovenly, thieving low life they have to deal with?

People living the high life and not paying rent? Sub letting to several families and not paying the landlords? Doing every trick in the book to avoid paying a debt the High Court say they owe?

Not sure if it was for the camera but I saw Paul Bowhill pay a nights rent for a woman and child who would have been on the street otherwise - bl##dy childs' father was nowhere to be seen!
Post #578560 17th Nov 2016 10:34pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The ones that cause the Bailiffs to become in existence is those that are the worst and they are the ones that choose to not pay.
Not because they can't afford it but because they want to try and achieve obtaining goods or services without paying for it.
Using the old "I'm not happy" plethora of excuses, either after or before payment.

If that is the case pursue your intentions if valid through official means not by playing games.
If you truly have received items non satisfactory etc then you are justified to pursue your outcome of a refund or non payment.

Then there are those who won't pay someone on time and thus cause others to wait in a chain of debt.
Even to those who do their very best.

There are of course unscrupulous Bailiffs, but there are non genuine debtors too.

The saga continues.. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #578567 17th Nov 2016 10:46pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
ickle wrote:
My sympathy is with the Bailiffs or 'knuckle draggers' as they've been referred to - whilst there have been a couple of genuine people who have got into debt and are being evicted or chased for money, have you seen and heard the lying, cheating, violent, slovenly, thieving low life they have to deal with?

People living the high life and not paying rent? Sub letting to several families and not paying the landlords? Doing every trick in the book to avoid paying a debt the High Court say they owe?

Not sure if it was for the camera but I saw Paul Bowhill pay a nights rent for a woman and child who would have been on the street otherwise - bl##dy childs' father was nowhere to be seen!

This exactly!!! And I'm stuck with some tenants who aren't paying at the moment Evil or Very Mad Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #578593 17th Nov 2016 11:46pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
I used to work in a factory which consumed rather a lot of electricity. Our bill was something in the region of 3 million per annum. My pal was an account with the company too and told me we usually ran about a year behind when it came to paying the bill. Not because we couldn't afford it, but because the electricity company couldn't afford to lose us as a customer! Try that with your local supply authority and see how long it takes for someone to turn up at your door.
Post #578594 17th Nov 2016 11:46pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
I remember one time that for some reason I had ended up chasing a girl from one of the less reputable parts of Harrogate and whilst I was at her flat the bailiffs turned up as she owed as I recall about the gdp of Monaco on a credit card. It was all relatively pleasant until she decided that I was actually the recipient of the benefit of the debt and should be held jointly liable. Funnily enough I immediately sided with the bailiffs and a brief private discussion with the head bailiff cleared that up. Not surprisingly that was the last she ever saw of me. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #578611 18th Nov 2016 8:22am
Flyingfocrs

Scotland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Knuckle draggers!!!!,
Seriously?

I work for one of these companies in a different role, you have got no idea the training and legislation these guys have to go through and adhere to.

They don't wear those gopro's just for the TV they are worn away from the tv cameras because every visit carried out is monitored and evaluated to ensure that they comply with legislation during the visit.

If people just paid their bills or sought help when the first letter had come through their door then the bailiffs wouldn't be needed.

Also don't forget that much like insurance where our premiums are loaded up to cover all the uninsured drivers going around the utilities companies are adding a percentage onto YOUR bill to cover their losses from no payers, so these "knuckle draggers" as you put it are in many cases trying to save YOU money.

Whats the saying about walking a mile in another mans shoes before passing comment!
Post #578624 18th Nov 2016 10:07am
Swac3

Walk a mile in another mans shoes, that way if there's still an issue you're a mile away from him and he's got no shoes?

That one ?
Rolling Eyes 3 Landrovers
Post #578639 18th Nov 2016 11:08am
RED-DOT

Scotland 
I seen about six heavies physically evict a woman and her three children two of which were Downs Syndrome on to the pavement and then stick notices of decree on every downstairs window. That was last year and it is still vacant and rotten with damp. It works both ways as not all landlords are squeaky clean?
Also they use V5 registration details to take vehicles but still want to take even if the wifes name is on the V5 and a reciept cannot be produced. Seem to suit therselves when turning the screw.... 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #578652 18th Nov 2016 11:34am
Swac3

V5 is a record of the registered Keeper . It has Zero connection to the legal owner of said vehicle.

Doesn't really matter if people are old disabled mentally ill, whatever, that's not the fault nor responsibility of the landlord/owner or creditor, I know it sounds hard faced but that is the responsibility of the council and other government
agencies to help and house, not one individual owner or landlord, sure the landlord may be an ass or worse but really
that's not the point.

Same with squatters and empty houses and camps ... So what if its empty its not yours so stay the F out of it. 3 Landrovers
Post #578680 18th Nov 2016 1:19pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Forget about bailiffs, though I have never personally been confronted by one, I have seen how they operate on TV, I consider them pussycats, I say this because a few years ago a close personal friend who owned a rug import business got into financial difficulties. One morning, while I was visiting him at his office, two High Court Sheriffs turned up demanding payment with a court writ, Jesus they made the Mafia look like dinner ladies.

I still have nightmares about High Court Sheriffs.. Shocked For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #578699 18th Nov 2016 2:40pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Is there a role in modern society for bailiffs and high court sherifs?

Simple answer is an emphatic YES.

Both sides of any transaction needs protection be it a Landlord/tenant agreement, retailer/buyer contract etc

IF both sides of any transaction keeps to their legal commitments then there would be no need for bailiffs and sherifs.

Why should a landlord take a hit of many thousands of pounds just because a tenant does a moonlight without paying rent or leave the place a complete mess because they are drunken students or had a mental breakdown. There again the landlord has a responsibility to keep the property in good repair.

Retailer and buyer? Yes the retailer has a duty to provide items which are suitable, fit for purpose etc. Now if the goods are faulty the retailer has a legal obligation to repair or replace etc. Now try and get the so called 'defective' item back so retailer can claim under warranty from supplier. It is a scam to get two items for the price of one. Try telling a customer that distance selling regulations do NOT apply if you had bought the goods from the sellers premises and the seller has NO obligation to refund full cost of goods just because customer has changed their mind.

Both sides of any transaction have to keep to their legal obligations. Unfortunately the legal protection offered to the tenant/customer is far greater then that offered to the landlord/retailer.

Brendan
Post #578714 18th Nov 2016 3:23pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
You are of course right Brendan.

A little bit off thread but this is another problem landlords face in Mid Wales from people who disappear without paying rent.
Where I live there are many out-of-the-way cottages that are rented, some of which have been used recently for the growing of cannabis, not only have the people who do this wreck the properties, but they leave the owner with huge electric bills. And while the landlords checked their references etc. (which turn out to be false, though at the time of checking not so) Once they leave they are impossible to find.

The problem of using these remote cottages for drug cultivation is getting so bad that our local police force is now using dogs to try and sniff out the properties, though to be honest with so many tourists staying in Snowdonia all the year round who smoke the stuff, it is I believe getting hard to sniff out the growers from the smokers. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #578736 18th Nov 2016 4:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>