↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Bailliffs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
jollymuckshifter

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Soft Top Santorini Black
We caught a tenant and his woman growing weed in one of my rentals,once rumbled they quickly moved on but the house was wrecked,my ex girlfriend had the misfortune to encounter them in the local tesco car park,the couple were clearly spoiling for an argument,the (stoned on weed) boyfriend went to boot the door in on our defender,his delightful companion then punched my ex in the face with a fistful of car keys,puncturing her eyelid and causing eye damage.
My experience with bailiffs has always been positive,we are often tasked with assisting them in collecting machinery using our low loaders and find that they operate in a highly professional manner and always show empathy towards a debtors situation .
Post #578753 18th Nov 2016 6:13pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Well RD - you asked for opinions & you got some, looks like your view (if it is your view and not you're playing Devils advocate) is in the minority. Thumbs Up
Post #578773 18th Nov 2016 7:32pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
I raised the point and obviously the great unwashed don't drive shiny new Defenders?
Having just watched a news item about tenants living in slum conditions living in poor health and in fear of eviction if they complain about repairs.
People are being evicted en-mass from their homes today due to greedy landlords getting over double the rent to let to councils for renting to refugees... The banks and IR have been pulling the plug on firms with borrowing and liquidating the assets to their side kick liquidators enforced by penny in the pound vultures. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #578780 18th Nov 2016 7:49pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Hopefully RD, one day you'll be in the happy position of having a second home you can rent out, then when you're getting barely 4% on your return, all of the tax incentives have gone, and some scumbag defaults on your rent and does a moonlight having trashed your investment, you'll be able to smile and pass it off as one of those things - I don't suppose you'll use the services of the Bailiffs then will you?
Rolling with laughter
Post #578791 18th Nov 2016 8:34pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Some interesting comments and shall I say are in part false and also tars all landlords with the same brush.

A tenant in arrears and the landlord wants to regain possession of their own property.

So tenant is in arrears of rent for 1, 2 or 3 months.

A notice requiring possession has to be issued and notice period is minimum of 2 weeks and could run into months

Once that notice period expires, the landlord has to apply to court either using standard procedure or accelerated procedure.

The tenant can fill out a Defence form hence a court hearing. Judge then can set a date for property to be repossessed. Now if local council can not rehouse you then tenant can apply for a delay in the eviction.

Now this procedure from date of first going into arrears can take 6-9 months with arrears mounting all the time.

During this time the tenant could be in receipt of housing benefit and be urinating it up against the wall. Now is that theft or fraud??

Housing in bad conditions? The local council environment.

Now al environmental health officer can FORCE the landlord to do repairs under the threat of the landlord being taken to court.

Now the local fire brigade can give their recommendations for fire precautions on say a HMO, however the local council EO can completely override the fire brigade recommendations and put in much stricter requirements.

Now if a EO finds a fault in a system built residence then the EO is very unlikely to take action. Reason being there is a good chance the fault will occur in similar properties. The landlord is likely to be the local council and the property is likely to be a tower block with multiple properties. It would be an extremely brave or stupid EO who takes their employer to court.

Live in a council flat not part of a system built/tower block environment and need urgent repairs. Be prepared to take the council to court!

Brendan
Post #578792 18th Nov 2016 8:34pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Our tenant who has decided to stop paying rent at the moment has a room that has mould on the walls. As landlord this is my responsibility to fix, so when I was informed of the problem I found the cause (which was a neibouring property's gutter leaking onto my property) and got that sorted then provided a de-humidifier (which has now gone missing) to dry out the room and have tried every month since to gain access to clean and redecorate the room (which they keep telling me they will clear the room so I can get in) and now they say they aren't paying rent till they move out (which has been 2 months so far) because I haven't done repairs to the mouldy room Rolling Eyes If I want to evict them it will probably cost me a couple of grand so I just have to loose money till they become their brothers problem when they move into his rental property. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #578823 18th Nov 2016 9:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12