↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > J.W. Speaker vs. Nolden LED headlamp test
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
^^ And Brendan confirmed already before I pushed the post button. Laughing

By the way, I found a different info about total limit per car on the Hella website. They say 100 instead of 75, as per below:

Reference numbers 50 , 45, 40 , 37.5 , 17.5 and 12.5:
The reference number (Ref.) is a figure that applies to a spotlight. Under ECE
regulations, this reference number may not exceed the upper limit of 100 per
vehicle. This figure includes the values for the two standard high beams (left and
right headlights) plus those of any other installed spotlights. The appropriate value is
engraved on the lens of each approved headlight.

The peak intensity number of the Hella Luminator Compact LED for instance is 45. Per lamp. Shocked You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #426460 26th May 2015 6:57pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
As I stated the maximum total now is 100.

It can be difficult to find out all the motoring legalities as apart from national requirements there are also EU/EEC requirements.

I have come across traders selling light units who to put it mildly do not understand the basic aspects of lights.

Then there are the traders who whilst not doing anything illegal are to my mind acting not with the highest business ethics by selling obligatory lights which are not type approved. Legal to sell, illegal to use.

I have also come across a manufacturer who dropped a clanger by getting all the legal approval and paperwork in place then forgot to have the lenses engraved. Embarassed

Brendan
Post #426465 26th May 2015 7:28pm
CatherineF

United Kingdom 
Thinking of getting LED's put onto the new Defender. 2015 Audi Q3 Quattro S Line Plus 184 TDI Stronic
2010 90 SMC Over Land Nero Edition - Santorini Black Metallic (Now Departed)
Post #428958 6th Jun 2015 8:16am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Bit of a thread resurrection here, but just re-read through the whole thread.
Very informative and useful information here.

Think I'm going to try and work towards getting some Noldens in time, costly yes, but evidently worth it. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #568775 5th Oct 2016 12:46am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
You wont be disappointed! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #568811 5th Oct 2016 9:17am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #568813 5th Oct 2016 9:24am
Pablo90

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rioja Red
custom90steve wrote:
Bit of a thread resurrection here, but just re-read through the whole thread.
Very informative and useful information here.

Think I'm going to try and work towards getting some Noldens in time, costly yes, but evidently worth it.

I bought my Noldens from Brendan and Barbara (site sponsors) at the end of 2014. I fitted them, and was immensely chuffed with the difference. I spent a while reviewing all of the options and as they are the brightest available with the highest-rated IP. They also look more classically-Land Rover, and less like a spider's eyes as some alternatives.

In terms of day-to-day living with them, the cut off between light and dark seems very drastic, and I have taken a little to get used to that. This is compounded when I drop from main beam with Rigid Industries 20" bar to dipped, as the difference is literally night and day!

My biggest concern is how they cope with snow and ice, as of course, unlike halogen they don't emit anywhere near as much heat as a by-product. My solution, yet to be implemented, is to mount some heated washer nozzles in the light surrounds to spray down onto the headlights.

Has anyone else resolved this seasonal issue? Ruby: 1999 Td5 hard-top 90, enhanced for day-to-day driving and (hopefully) non-damaging off-roading and laning.

Huey: 2010 SD4 Freelander 2 GS, standard except for uprated bulbs!
Post #571905 18th Oct 2016 9:10pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
That is good to hear.

Weather wise, that isn't a concern to me as it'd need to be conditions like -10C and snowing.
Not ideal conditions to be out in anyway, if you were it'd likely be a longer journey and thus they would have some warmth to them.
If a shorter drive then just clean them, also some hydrophobic product added to the lense would also likely help detest frost etc from forming.
Of course the engine in the near vicinity also creates some ambient temp also.

So over all not an issue to me, aux LED lights are just the same and had those for a few years now and never had issues there either.

What Nolden are most going for?
I was thinking with pilot but not sure on colour variant. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #571933 18th Oct 2016 9:59pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
The only LED headlight I am aware of that has heated lens is the military version of the Truck-Lite 7" LED headlight.

They are only available in LHD/RHT with DOT approval. To the best of my knowledge they are not E marked and can not be E marked due to the loss of light output due to the fine heater wires.

Using a hot water wash onto the lens? I am in two minds about the practicality of this solution.

Unlike a hot water windscreen wash you also can heat the windscreen either electrically or with blown hot air.

Now yes hot water wash onto LED headlights will clear snow off them. However once the snow has been washed off, will the water freeze on the lens causing light loss? Please note I have no experience or knowledge about such systems so I may well be off target with my comments.

For the UK user is snow build up a major problem or a minor inconveinence?

Brendan
Post #571946 18th Oct 2016 10:34pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Not much help, but I understand that car manufacturers are fitting OE LED headlights with a system that circulates warm air from the LED Electronics over the inside the lens to warm it. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #571948 18th Oct 2016 10:45pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Inyteresting Blue, have not heard of that.

Now a LED headlight normally has a heat sink build into it to keep the headlight cool at its normal operating temperature.

I understand that some LED headlight bulbs have built in fans to keep them cool. Please note that if you replace a standard filament bulb with one of these LED clusters then the headlight will be ILLEGAL as the type approval on the headlight will be invalidated

Brendan
Post #571949 18th Oct 2016 10:56pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
leeds wrote:
Now yes hot water wash onto LED headlights will clear snow off them. However once the snow has been washed off, will the water freeze on the lens causing light loss? Brendan

Cheap Vodka. Used it in Germany it was cheaper than screen wash anyway and won't freeze. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #571951 18th Oct 2016 10:57pm
Flyingfocrs

Scotland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I found it to be a major problem last winter, had to stop a few times to scoop the snow build up out so I could see where I was going whenever it snowed at night.
Post #571955 18th Oct 2016 11:09pm
Pablo90

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rioja Red
leeds wrote:
The only LED headlight I am aware of that has heated lens is the military version of the Truck-Lite 7" LED headlight.

They are only available in LHD/RHT with DOT approval. To the best of my knowledge they are not E marked and can not be E marked due to the loss of light output due to the fine heater wires.

Using a hot water wash onto the lens? I am in two minds about the practicality of this solution.

Unlike a hot water windscreen wash you also can heat the windscreen either electrically or with blown hot air.

Now yes hot water wash onto LED headlights will clear snow off them. However once the snow has been washed off, will the water freeze on the lens causing light loss? Please note I have no experience or knowledge about such systems so I may well be off target with my comments.

For the UK user is snow build up a major problem or a minor inconveinence?

Brendan

Brendan,

I saw elsewhere that you'd commented about the heated Trucklites. I had a look at their site, but it didn't indicate anywhere whether they were RHD also. If there is snow though, the build up would restrict vis more than some inbuilt elements.

Hopefully RainX on the lenses and of plenty decent screen wash will reduce the opportunity of freezing water filming over the lens. The jets would also help with mud build up too off-road.

Living in the south of Devon, it's unlikely to be an issue, though I'd like to future-winter-proof Ruby. I am also hoping for some snow on Dartmoor or further inland this year; the Express says it's going to be the coldest winter EVER! Laughing

P Ruby: 1999 Td5 hard-top 90, enhanced for day-to-day driving and (hopefully) non-damaging off-roading and laning.

Huey: 2010 SD4 Freelander 2 GS, standard except for uprated bulbs!
Post #571961 18th Oct 2016 11:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123