↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > storage boxs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
SiWhite

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I know the chap who makes the Barebox.

He is planning to release a box for the TDCi but is releasing a cubby box first. My blog - www.anacreinhampshire.blogspot.co.uk

110 TD5 BuildHERE - sold!
110 Tdci Build HERE - sold!
Passat Alltrack - 4x4, auto, 45mpg, gloriously comfortable - but not a Defender!
Post #51391 6th Jan 2011 6:36pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Here are a couple of (very poor quality) pictures of my box. The draw system (Like Steve's) mounts in front of the box I have and opens up onto the tailgate.... I just wanted the locking rear one Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Glyn :sheep:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #51394 6th Jan 2011 6:49pm
Bomber82

Italy 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Here some pictures of the Barebox in my 110, on left side there is a 900 mm and on the right side a 400 mm.
They are not fixed in place because I'm making a drawer in the midle.

They do not fit perfectly as on Td5 and older, in position to open the cover there is a 3-4 cm of gap from the body.

Click image to enlarge

Matteo
Defender 110 Td4 SE MY 09
Post #52342 11th Jan 2011 12:30pm
NoDo$h

England 
Glynparry25 wrote:
Here are a couple of (very poor quality) pictures of my box.

Glyn, you're a sound chap, but I never EVER want to read those words ever again.

Only high quality pictures will do. 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #52502 12th Jan 2011 1:14am
Glynparry25

NoDo$h wrote:
Glynparry25 wrote:
Here are a couple of (very poor quality) pictures of my box.

Glyn, you're a sound chap, but I never EVER want to read those words ever again.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Trust you to think that!!

Glyn Sheep
Post #52536 12th Jan 2011 12:39pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Here are a few photos/measurements/prices etc. Apologise about the poor quality of the photos NoDosh (condensation on lens in very cold lockup)

Bottom left, green high lid wolf box, size 450x340x270, vol 41 litres 3.1 kg no longer readily available in the UK

Top left, black low lid wolf box, size 450 x 340 x 200, vol 30 litres 3.3 kg Cost £28-30

In my opinion the green ones are better quality looking at the way spills cut off, minor warping etc

Bottom right, ali box 560 x 410 x 370, vol 73 litres weight 5.3 kg cost about £140

Top right, ali box 370 x 340 x 270, vol 29 litres, weights 3.1 kg cost about £99

No holes in the ali box, and rubber seal makes it reasonably water/dust proof

The two bottom ones are those I use

More boxes

Click image to enlarge

Left hand box is Mobile storage chest 890 x 440 x 223, vol 74 litres, weight 15.3 kg, cost about £210

Right hand box ali box 790 x 380 x 330, vol 81 litres, weight, 5.5 kg, cost about 146

MSS has one top access lock so is probably not as dust proof as the two catches on the ali box which are on the front. If strapping extra boxes to the MSS chest it is a good idea to change lid for the twin lock version

The ali boxes come in various sizes including one which is 880 x 480 x 370 at 134 litres for about £170

Hope people find the info useful

Brendan

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #52605 12th Jan 2011 9:09pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Found these whilst looking for some thing else go to bottom of page http://www.solentplastics.co.uk/marine-storage-boxes-Kegs
Post #52609 12th Jan 2011 9:27pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Have seen those boxes on the net before.

The interesting thing is that things there don't add up, or more importantly multiply out. The volumes do not compare with those stated.

First one has internal dimensions of 565 x 410 x 400 which is 92.6 litres according to my maths but capacity is 120 litres Question Question Question

None of the figures multiply out so what is happening??

Brendan
Post #52618 12th Jan 2011 9:57pm
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Perhaps the Rolls Royce of cases are what the Army use on occasion - namely Zarges (alloy) and Peli-cases (plastic). Depends what you wanted to carry - bit OTT for cans of beans but perfect for camera gear.

Bonkers expensive though. Luckily my Peli-cases were "donated"
Post #52881 13th Jan 2011 11:16pm
Glynparry25

SteveS wrote:
Perhaps the Rolls Royce of cases are what the Army use on occasion - namely Zarges (alloy) and Peli-cases (plastic). Depends what you wanted to carry - bit OTT for cans of beans but perfect for camera gear.

Bonkers expensive though. Luckily my Peli-cases were "donated"

Peli cases are AWESOME..... but as you say, they are expensive... and to carry a tin of beans you need a box the size of your load area!

Zarges cases are even better..... again are expensive, but here in Germany there are loads of companies that make similar cases at a fraction of the cost and still as good a quality- I keep my recovery gear in one- will take a pic tomorow.

Glyn Sheep
Post #52888 13th Jan 2011 11:26pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
The ali boxes I got my hands on are Danish made. With rubber seals etc

Cheaper then Zarges as well.

Apparently they are used by various armies in Afghanistan.

Brendan
Post #52896 13th Jan 2011 11:45pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I'm less of an expert on the subject of overland storage than some here so I'll just tell you what I use Very Happy

Obviously depends on your needs. You have a Utility by the look of your sig. Mine's a SW with the third row of seats, which are used regularly enough to be left in. I have a young family so there's always heaps of kit to carry around.

Drawer: obviously I can't fit one and still use the 3rd row of seats. However, talking to the guys at APB, they seem like a rather heavy and inflexible solution generally. Great if you're designing for a specific, extended use but they add a lot of weight. You could always put some ply over the wheelboxes and shove a couple of crates underneath - basically the same effect but easier to remove, much cheaper, lighter and makes better use of the space.

Boxes: Again, with the 3rd row of seats, your width is compromised so you can't pack the wolf cases as efficiently.
I went for Gomo boxes (again, SA army origin). They're slightly smaller, have a slightly better locking mechanism in my opinion, and stack well.
I also got some of the low-lid Wolf's that Leeds has in his pic. They're a bit bigger than the Gomo and you can get some natty inserts (for keeping things a bit more dry/dust free). Again - they stack well, which is the main consideration. Their fasteners are a bit weak IMHO and it's only a matter of time before I break one - particularly if you're packing the boxes out.

Can't overstate the value of having strong boxes that stack securely. The Defender load bay doesn't have a very big surface area but it has great usable height - so make the most of it. You'll be amazed at how much you can get in 6 boxes and how little footprint they consume.

Whichever ones you go for, make sure you label them on the sides Very Happy Sounds obvious but you can't tell your tools from your tins by weight alone. Also, if they're going on the roof or are going to get dusty, put some gaffa tape over the drainage holes in the bottom Wink One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #53851 19th Jan 2011 1:46pm
KPNuts

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Alpine White
We are using Really Useful Boxes in our Puma and 300tdi. The 35 litre boxes are a good size and stack really well. If you buy the solid colours they are pretty strong, we took 6 of them in our 300tdi to Morocco last year for 3 weeks with no damage to the boxes. We have now had a racking system built by Safari Equip for our Puma which takes 8 of these boxes and still leaves loads of room.

The best part of the Really Useful boxes is that they cost about £11:50 each with lids direct from their website. So, even if they are not quite as strong at that price you can afford to replace them.

Keith
Post #54333 21st Jan 2011 12:09pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Just been to local Staples and they are selling the 60/64 litre box for £10.50

I personally prefer the smaller sizes for storage say up to 10 litres

I dont rate the bigger Really Useful boxes for long trips as tend to destroy them in the lock up for general use.

Have admittedly managed to crack a corner off a Wolf box on a long trip but box is still perfectly useable.

There again it is all down to personal choice.

Brendan
Post #55326 27th Jan 2011 4:34pm
KPNuts

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Alpine White
The solid colours are stronger than the translucent ones that Staples sell. Same design, just stronger plastic. Also, replacement lids are available separately. They also do extra strong in white only.

Keith 2010 110 Utility Station Wagon
1996 110 Station Wagon
Post #55376 27th Jan 2011 7:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12