↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Help me identify some wires!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
domm786

Scotland 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Keswick Green
Help me identify some wires!
Hello All,

Im trying to identify a couple of wires on my dash. I've got a 96 300tdi and when i bought it there was no radio or clock on the dash - there was only a working ciggy lighter. I have a rear window heater which is disconnected, i dont know where the switch is for it and i dont even know if it works!

wire "1" is obviously an antenna jack

Click image to enlarge

wires "2" look like they are positive and negative from the 2 speakers (4 wires total)

Click image to enlarge

wires "3" im really not sure about - its a small red/white wire with a plastic connection on the end!?

Click image to enlarge

wires "4" is a single thick red wire (possible power cable for something?...but im guessing!)

Click image to enlarge

Wires "5" has 4 wires which are cable tied together, all with flat connections on the end. I forgot to right down the exact colours but from what i remember - 1 red/green, 1 solid turquoise, 1 solid black , 1 i cant remember.

Click image to enlarge

wires "6" has 1 positive and 1 negative wire which are heat shrunk together - so i assume these are from the same thing.

Click image to enlarge

Any help here would be great. im going to be installing a raptor dash soon so need to start looking into this.

Cheers!
Dom
Post #547683 10th Jul 2016 11:29pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Safest method would be checking for appropriate fusing, checking for continuity and by voltage.
That will help you identify, it does look very amateur and definitely not colour coded to easy identification abd I assume there is no I.d. Flags or anything on them either?

It might be earth it and safer to rip all off that add on wiring out abd starting from scratch yourself.
That way you know all of the electrics and you know it's appropriately fused, wire gauge is suitable and with proper tracer colours, you could I'd flag them if you wanted and also add some nice connectors too.

Some of those are pre insulated spade terminal by the look of it, not the worst but some OE connectors would be better in my view.
Super seal or Econoseal connectors work well for lower current draw items, waterproof too, even if it inside very useful if you wade or even if you had a leak. They have a nice secure reliable fit too.
Alternatively you could buy genuine connectors instead.
Post #547692 11th Jul 2016 12:11am
VeeTee

Netherlands 
I think the wires with blue crimp connectors are not standard, may be later added for powering accesoiries or speakers.
I think the wires with transparant plastic connectors (orginal LR for pre-97 300 Tdi !) are for the cigar lighter, rear wiper/wash switch and headlight level control knob, these switches use to live there in the oval panel in the lower dash tray.
Original colours and wiring diagram for the 1996 300 Tdi here in my gallery. Note the 1997 model and afterwards have a different wiring diagram! Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #547792 11th Jul 2016 1:58pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Wires with blue crimp connectors are non-standard, as the wires are all red they could be anything Laughing

Wire 3 is a backlight/illumination feed (red with white stripe)

Wires set 5 is for the rear wash/wipe switch:

Red with light green stripe: feed to motor
Brown with light green stripe: return from park switch
Light green with black stripe: feed to rear wash pump
Green: ignition 12V

Rear heated window switch would be in the switch panel between the steering column and the door, by your knee (right knee if RHD)  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #547799 11th Jul 2016 2:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
domm786

VeeTee wrote:
I think the wires with blue crimp connectors are not standard, may be later added for powering accesoiries or speakers.
I think the wires with transparant plastic connectors (orginal LR for pre-97 300 Tdi !) are for the cigar lighter, rear wiper/wash switch and headlight level control knob, these switches use to live there in the oval panel in the lower dash tray.
Original colours and wiring diagram for the 1996 300 Tdi here in my gallery. Note the 1997 model and afterwards have a different wiring diagram!

Thank you all for the input. I think im going to remove all of these and wire in some new ones - as suggested i fill flag and colour code them - makes everything so much easier in future.

Its strange that i have wiring for the rear wash system as i dont have a rear wiper! is this normal?
Post #547899 11th Jul 2016 8:37pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
^ Check if there is a wire loom for the wiper behind the rear door trim. If there is, the wiper is easily added! Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #547903 11th Jul 2016 8:47pm
domm786

I will have a look tomorrow morning and report back!

Thanks for your help buddy!
Post #547905 11th Jul 2016 8:51pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Sometimes some wiring is present in the loom, and taped up and hidden away from out of the factory.

As mentioned a lot of the wiring you have is non standard and I do think you are completely right to replace it. Thumbs Up
Post #547922 11th Jul 2016 9:41pm
domm786

Yea i thought this might be the case , makes sense for LR to use the same wiring to fit all models. Will investigate further!
Post #547976 11th Jul 2016 11:46pm
domm786

Just finished a good days work on the defender. (Shame that the last owner looks like hes tried to.use an allen key in the gearbox filler plug and rounds the torx! Twisted Evil )

Completely forgot to check the rear washer but I'll have a look tomorrow. Got the raptor dash in place but not made a start on any wiring. I have no idea how to go about removing those old wires from the dash. Anyone have any tips? Cheers, domm.

Click image to enlarge
Post #548304 12th Jul 2016 10:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1