↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Tdci second row seats into Td5 110. Advice on fitting please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
Tdci second row seats into Td5 110. Advice on fitting please

I have read various post regarding fitting current second row seats into a Td5 defender. I want safer seats for my kids and will need a third proper seatbelt later in the year. Want to do a proper and safe OEM job where possible. Other than the 60/40 split seats I will need the chassis brackets to go underneath. I will need to modify the front of the wheel arch and slopes up more acutely and won't let the seat sit level. The Tdci also has L shaped brackets fitted to the mid crossmember which my Td5 doesn't have. These allow the feet of the seats to anchor properly to the floor. YRM make a replacement for this priced at £80. No idea how difficult it will be replacing this. Getting the mounting brackets in will also be tricky unless i can take the floor up. I can't find an off the shelf aluminium replacement plate for the wheel arch mod anywhere.

Would love to hear from people that have done this conversion and any pearls of wisdom they have.

Thanks for any input before I take the plunge.

Mark

Click image to enlarge
Post #522927 11th Apr 2016 1:38am
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
I have just completed the job on my TD5, with the YRM crossmember, and all the correct genuine bits. I combined it with replacing my rear upstand which granted easy access to the crossmember and the underside.

Biggest challenges are anchoring the 2 brackets to the back of the frame crossmember and securing them in place. I ended up drilling a 1.5" hole in the left side of the crossmember to gain access for a spanner to tighten the nut/bolt. Lifting the body slightly from the mid mounts makes the job of getting the brackets in place much easier.

Creating the drops for the front of the wheel wells in order to have the seats sit flat is all dependant on how creative you would like to be. I took the whole front of the slope off and dropped the angle. This allows for easier access to the pull strap in the rear to latch the seats, but you could get away with a less evasive modification.

Lots of photos are in my renovation thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html of which I REALLY need to finish up. Once I completed the work, it was off to California the next morning for 2 weeks. Quite literally it was put down the last spanner, pack the truck and leave! (nothing quite like a long road test of 4,000 miles, hoping I had put everything together correctly) Now I just need to catch up on work so I have time to post all the final finishes.

Overall, it's a lot of work but every time I look over my shoulder to back up, I have a smile on my face and think it was worth every bit of effort.

Click image to enlarge
 it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #523157 11th Apr 2016 7:44pm
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
Just read your thread from start to finish. One word, AMAZING. I'm now totally daunted by the project! I guess one benefit I have is that I'm in the UK and can get hold of stuff more quickly.

Hope you had a great trip by the way. Looking forward to seeing the end of the thread.
Post #523213 11th Apr 2016 9:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1