↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Wire in Loom
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Steve B wrote:
Thanks blackwolf, much clearer. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Ah, so its inside the insulation of each wire.
Steve

You're welcome. Yes, each conductor becomes a tiny hosepipe delivering trouble direct to your ECU! Smart design, isn't it!

Steve B wrote:

It only misfires at higher revs though, does it pass more current the higher the revs?

Steve

I imagine that in effect it probably does. I do not know for certain how the ECU actually drives the injectors, and I no longer have access to the test equipment needed to find out (I was a digital electronics engineer for a major telecommunications infractructure manufacturer for 20 years or so and it would have been easy for me to establish exactly how it works with the test equipment I had at my disposal then) but it is almost inevitable that since the pulses to fire the injectors will be more frequent at high revs the mean voltage and hence current in the injector firing circuits will be higher. Timing will also be more critical.

Having said that, please note from one of my earlier posts that when I had these symptoms in my TD5 Disco cleaning out the oil and renewing the injector harness made no difference at all, because it was actually a faulty throttle position sensor causing the problem. The TPS fault only logs an error code when the fault persists and the MIL illuminates, so whilst it is intermittent and in its early stages it isn't particularly easy to diagnose. As it worsens, it becomes repeatable (floor the throttle and it misfires) and eventually it will trigger a logged fault and MIL illumination.

Roger
Post #45400 16th Nov 2010 12:32am
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Thanks again,

new loom turned up today and I can see straight away where the oil gets in. We have an electrical department so I have handed it to them to pot it and seal in the wires.

I shall also bear in mind the tps may also give problems.

Steve
Post #45490 16th Nov 2010 11:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12