Home > In Car Electronics > JLR fighting to prevent us working on own vehicles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
JLR fighting to prevent us working on own vehicles
OK they are part of a group and it's in the US but it's worrying all the same:

"In all, 12 car companies are attempting to put a stop to car owners working on their own vehicles, specifically when those repairs deal with the car’s computer system.

The Auto Alliance is made up of 12 companies including BMW Group, FCA US LLC, Ford Motor Company, General Motors Company, Jaguar Land Rover, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz USA, Mitsubishi Motors, Porsche, Toyota, Volkswagen Group of America and Volvo Cars North America.

That alliance is asking the U.S. Copyright Office to prohibit car owners from repairing or modifying their own vehicles, saying it would violate the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

The act, which was signed into law in 1998, protects intellectual property when it comes to computer systems.

The alliance says that since most vehicles use high-tech computer systems, those cars are covered by the act.

The Auto Alliance claims that allowing car enthusiasts to fix their own cars has become “legally problematic.”

http://kfor.com/2015/04/22/automakers-figh...-vehicles/
Post #418340 23rd Apr 2015 10:58am
ken

United Kingdom 
To a degree I agree with this but not on the service side For instance I do not like the fact that I buy a D4 HSE LUX and pay for the add ons and yet a "Hacker" can alter a SE the basically HSE spec (Gadget wise) for a minimal fee Evil or Very Mad
Post #418351 23rd Apr 2015 11:45am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
It is no different to the European manufacturers trying to quash the recent European law allowing owners to service their cars at garages other than Main Dealerships without risk to their cars' warranty. Quite rightly, the powers that be in Europe told them to 'sod off' as it was a purely money making exercise and against the spirit of free trade in Europe. Not often I agree with the Strasbourg technocrats, but in this instance absolutely right. Hopefully the US Courts will see this for what it is, a cash cow. After-all, whether or not there are any intellectual rights infringements going on means nothing to 'Joe Average', as we generally make the upgrades/mods to the ECU because we want to improve it, not copy it. No one would deliberately break into an ECU to actually add the restrictions (emissions and noise etc) forced upon us by various jurisdictions and handed down by said manufacturers, quite the opposite. We want them to be liberated and improved, so no risk to intellectual property at all. If anything, they should be looking to the Tuners and copying them Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #418354 23rd Apr 2015 11:54am
newhue

Australia 
Greed knows no bounds, or is it capitalism in trying to keep up with technology.
Not many of us tinker in warranty, so what is the issue if we tinker with what we have paid for after warranty. How about we get compensated every time their products fails on us and we are inconvenienced. Be in in warranty or there after.

I think when China rips off and copies a whole car....manufacturers have other issues bigger than the home mechanic. My Defender and travels
Post #418357 23rd Apr 2015 12:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
ken wrote:
To a degree I agree with this but not on the service side For instance I do not like the fact that I buy a D4 HSE LUX and pay for the add ons and yet a "Hacker" can alter a SE the basically HSE spec (Gadget wise) for a minimal fee Evil or Very Mad

so all the upgrades are already in the car...they just charge you 5k to switch them on?!?

tesco tried that with there value,normal and premium range of foods....

Long live the hackers
Post #418358 23rd Apr 2015 12:17pm
Supacat

Ken - you surprise me.

Don't these mods underwrite the costs of some tuners, and allow them to invest time in cracking ecus, etc?
Post #418374 23rd Apr 2015 1:27pm
ken

United Kingdom 
I just like throwing a grenade in from Time to Time

Analysing 33k lines of P11d data at present so its a worthwhile debate Rolling with laughter
Post #418380 23rd Apr 2015 1:38pm
LRmud

Scotland 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Baltic Blue
I guess that'll be another reason to keep the old 300tdi then. Thumbs Up --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 Defender 90
Toyota Aygo & Honda FR-V
Post #418415 23rd Apr 2015 4:03pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
ken wrote:

be interested in how they can hack the panaramic roof in lol Mr. Green

what can they do to an SE to make it HSE? whats it missing on the computer?
Post #418421 23rd Apr 2015 4:52pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Need to ask the guys over on D3/4 Thumbs Up
Post #418424 23rd Apr 2015 5:06pm
Supacat

From a few years ago I think it was things like sat nav on the go & for the RRS the remote heat facility just needed the key fob & receiver & a hack. Better than the £1k plus it was priced at on the options list.
Post #418428 23rd Apr 2015 5:31pm
munch90

England 
I was told in some countrys you cant buy oil in anything bigger then 1 litre bottles , so you cant even change your own oil ! as it works out too expensive

not 100% only what I was told anyone know different ?

told it was to stop it being be put down drains
Post #418450 23rd Apr 2015 7:20pm
newhue

Australia 
You cant buy the Castrol gear box oil down here for a Tdci from Castrol, or the LR dealer. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, as we are not all controlled by fat cats programming. Well not yet.

I guess companies like a certain fruit that lead the way. Design a product that is popular, lock the customers into their way of thinking, charge a lot for the product. Have the product made in a cheap labour country, then avoid paining tax there and in the country of popular sales. Corporate greed up, social fabric and support down. Then the punters are to busy staring at there new device to realise their world is going pear shaped. My Defender and travels
Post #418467 23rd Apr 2015 8:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1