↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Actual problem or just a defender quirk?!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Crafty1980

United Kingdom 
So... Now my steering wheel has developed a god awful squeaking noise when I turn it and the yellow "car skidding" light on the dash has come on! Are these related?

Either way, booked into to the dealer to sort it out anyway...
Post #384997 4th Jan 2015 10:18pm
OCD

United Kingdom 
Re: Actual problem or just a defender quirk?!
Crafty1980 wrote:
I've just noticed today that something's odd with my indicator stalk...

If I indicate right then turn the wheel right, the indicator stays on, then as i turn the wheel back to centre it clicks off... That's all correct...

Now if I inficate left then turn the wheel left, the indicator turns off... I have to re-engage it to carry on indicating... When moving the wheel back to the Middle again, the indicator turns off as it should.

So it's just the operation whilst turning the wheel left that doesn't seem to work properly... Or is this just a quirk of the defender???

Did you get the indicator issue sorted? Mine has been back twice for this. The first time they couldn't fix it because they said they didn't know what was causing it so they ordered a bunch of parts for it and i took it back yesterday for part 2. It was with them all day and apparently was fixed.

When i got in it this morning, the indicators have exactly the same issue as they had yesterday morning before they fixed it.

Just wondering if you got to the bottom of it?
Post #413138 2nd Apr 2015 9:12am
Crafty1980

United Kingdom 
So... Mine has been back once now... Still have the same problem... I'm at a loss as to what to do now to be honest. They were utterly useless! Thinking I might give another dealership a ring and see what they have to say??
Post #413172 2nd Apr 2015 10:48am
OCD

United Kingdom 
I've just put a new steering wheel on and it's fixed the problem!
Post #413205 2nd Apr 2015 1:13pm
nitram17

Crafty1980 wrote:
So... Mine has been back once now... Still have the same problem... I'm at a loss as to what to do now to be honest. They were utterly useless! Thinking I might give another dealership a ring and see what they have to say??

Crafty is yous a 2015 model with dsc.....has the s wheel been off? sounds like the sw is not tdc....and the dsc sensor is detecting that as a fault!...i fitted a new boss and s wheel and initially the grey flanges must have moved as i was getting a clunking sound between ten to two and ten past two ........i moved the flanges slightly in a trial and error fashion and the clunking stopped and the dsc warning light stopped coming on!...make sure you mark your starting point befor fiddling!
Post #413207 2nd Apr 2015 1:26pm
Crafty1980

United Kingdom 
Ah, sorry... There's two different things going on in this topic:

I had the DSC issue fixed. That was a faulty steering angle sensor...

I've still got a problem with the indicators not clicking on and off at appropriate times. I'm pretty sure they are completely separate issues...
Post #413208 2nd Apr 2015 1:30pm
nitram17

OCD wrote:

if you dont mind OCD if you have simply replaced the steering wheel did you look at the indicator cutouts in the s wheel(assuming yours is a 2015 model) to see if they were in the same place (or same size length/depth ect)on your first wheel ..........if you have kept the indicator flanges in the same place when you fitted the s wheel then the s wheel must be the problem............ but to help others in the same plight its always best to find the cause as others may go to the expense of buying a new steering wheel after reading your post only to find out its something else you have dont unwittingly has fix it....
Post #413223 2nd Apr 2015 2:36pm
OCD

United Kingdom 
Crafty, when i took the old wheel off the indicators were cancelling correctly when i turned the grey plastic thingy that locates into the wheel. I put the original steering wheel back on & the indicators were cancelling early.

New wheel on & the indicators are cancelling correctly. Have driven round town a couple of times and they are behaving perfectly...
Post #413225 2nd Apr 2015 2:39pm
OCD

United Kingdom 
nitram17 wrote:
OCD wrote:

if you dont mind OCD if you have simply replaced the steering wheel did you look at the indicator cutouts in the s wheel(assuming yours is a 2015 model) to see if they were in the same place (or same size length/depth ect)on your first wheel ..........if you have kept the indicator flanges in the same place when you fitted the s wheel then the s wheel must be the problem............ but to help others in the same plight its always best to find the cause as others may go to the expense of buying a new steering wheel after reading your post only to find out its something else you have dont unwittingly has fix it....

It is a 2015, I've replaced the original wheel with a Moto-Lita 14". The cutouts were in the same place but I didn't notice if there was a difference in depth.

As an aside, the people I spoke to at the dealership after my first visit told me they couldn't understand why the indicators were working with the wheel off but not when they put it back on.

Now, I would've thought it would be logical to try a different steering wheel and see if the problem rectified itself but I don't know whether they applied this logic to the problem...
Post #413227 2nd Apr 2015 2:45pm
Crafty1980

United Kingdom 
What actually IS that grey plastic thingy? Is that related to the steering angle sensor, or the indicators?

Would be interesting if it literally was a steering wheel issue and not anything to do with the column, grey plastic thingys, or switches etc...
Post #413230 2nd Apr 2015 2:59pm
OCD

United Kingdom 
As far as I'm aware, it is the indicator canceller. When the wheel was off, i was turning this from left to right and the indicators were cancelling normally...
Post #413242 2nd Apr 2015 4:28pm
nitram17

Crafty1980 wrote:
What actually IS that grey plastic thingy? Is that related to the steering angle sensor, or the indicators?

Would be interesting if it literally was a steering wheel issue and not anything to do with the column, grey plastic thingys, or switches etc...

as i am not 100% certain whether the grey flange has a dual role( im sure it cancels the indicator) i will not comment on the dsc except to say when i moved the grey flange slightly about 10 degrees to the right and re fitted the s wheel solved the noise and dsc alarm .I am sure someone on here is knows how the dsc sensor at the s wheel end and indicator flanges work and would be willing to put me right!
Post #413245 2nd Apr 2015 4:38pm
Crafty1980

United Kingdom 
Well, I know for certain that when you turn the grey plastic flange, it does change the "steering angle" because I watched the output of that angle sensor on the laptop screen when the LR assist man can to rescue me!

Whether it has dual purpose and cancels the indicators too?!? I don't know...
Post #413309 2nd Apr 2015 9:05pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
I had the weird canceling thing happen to me too, ordered a new signal stalk assembly replaced the old one and never looked back. Works just as it should now. The old one looked worn and tampered with (I am the second owner).
Post #414649 8th Apr 2015 2:56am
Rudski

Probably adding to the confusion here

I've just done the same as nitram and fitted the twisted boss, momo black sport with snap off attachment, the wheel was off-centre and I coudnt get it central without moving the grey ring slightly.

No DSC light came on then after 5 mins on it came Evil or Very Mad when I put the indicator on the trailer light also flashes once Question

Went to work today didn't come on at all, coming home the same again so now I'm completely baffled Evil or Very Mad
Post #414835 8th Apr 2015 5:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>