↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Towbar extender for bike rack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 11 <123 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
Fellrunner

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Hi Leon

The carrier pivots down (tips backwards) in order to clear the way for the rear door to open.

However, and this is perhaps the issue which Tonyrec also encountered, my current set up pictured above whilst clearing the standard spare wheel still doesn't provide enough clearance for the rear door to swing fully open even when the carrier is tilted. The 90/110 rear door is so large.

I have ordered the Disco 2 extension box which I hope to fit this weekend. I'll then know if the revised set up also provides enough clearance for the rear door to swing fully open (otherwise I'll have to use the middle row doors to access the rear load space).

Or, as you suggest, it would be possible to unscrew the adapter and take it off (or perhaps just loosen and pivot down) to provide clearance. I haven't tried this yet though - still learning its features!
Post #385208 5th Jan 2015 6:38pm
Tonyrec

United Kingdom 
Fellrunner, many thanks for the update.
I tried several ways but just couldn't get it to work. Pleased to see that you have figured it out though and I may be tempted to re purchase the adapter and give it another go. Thumbs Up
Post #385238 5th Jan 2015 7:20pm
Fellrunner

Tonyrec - I have the Nakatenanga rear wheel carrier fitted. I don't know if this effects the distance the spare wheel sits away from the rear door and hence how it in turn interacts with the Thule adapter.

I can measure the rear wheel distance from the rear door if it'd help?
Post #385263 5th Jan 2015 8:10pm
Fellrunner

kmac - with your tow ball extender fitted, can you fully open the rear door without it fouling on the Atera Strada carrier when it's slid away from the car?

Would you also know the length of the extender piece. I now have the extension box which measures 5" in additional width and wondered how this compares to the part you're using?

Thanks
Post #386555 8th Jan 2015 9:53pm
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Hi

I can open the door easily without it catching on anything with the bike rack in the "slide open" position

I also have a Nak spare wheel carrier but the older non-stainless version

I will measure the tow ball extender and post tomorrow
Post #386898 9th Jan 2015 10:32pm
kmac

Actually, just nipped out as its not raining...

The extender itself is 16cm ( just over 6 1/2 inches) - that's without the tow ball attached

The tow-ball itself moves the rack further outward

You could get a welder to make one for your for much less than the LR box extender - ask RLD on here nicely Smile
Post #386901 9th Jan 2015 10:37pm
kmac

In the pic below - you can see the bike rack attached but slid down. There is ample space to open the door.
And that's with my old shorter extender

There is a bike in the foreground in the way but that bike is on the ground - you can just make out a sloping tyre of a bike on the bike rack

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #386904 9th Jan 2015 10:53pm
Fellrunner

kmac - that's great, thanks so much Thumbs Up
Post #387048 10th Jan 2015 3:03pm
Fellrunner

Just an update to keep pooling knowledge.

The Thule carrier will fit, but requires the adapter which means you lose one of the bike slots. However, with the Thule carrier tilted down whilst the rear door will open it fouls the carrier once about a foot or so open.

I haven't checked whether the Thule would work with a tow bar extension fitted, but my guess is that it wouldn't because the door would still foul (I don't think an extension would push the carrier far enough away from the vehicle).

Also, a Discovery 2 extension box will not fit a 110 tow plate (the fitting holes align horizontally but not vertically).

I think where that leaves us - thanks to kmac's input too - is that to fit a tow ball mounted bike support to a 110 (not including the suspended bike types) requires BOTH (1) extending the tow ball and the (2) the Atera type carriers which slide away from the vehicle and therefore in so doing don't increase the vertical height of the carrier such to foul the rear door when opened. This way you get to both leave the rear wheel on the door and are able to fully open the door with the carrier fitted.

Now I just need to return the Thule 929 and Disco 2 extension box I bought and buy an Atera bike carrier and either a tow ball extender or a 130 tow plate (part number VPLDT0086) Big Cry
Post #387714 12th Jan 2015 2:09pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
This works for me, fit / remove in seconds

£60 I think

Up to 4 bikes and full door opening

Post #387720 12th Jan 2015 2:52pm
Fellrunner

Thanks for sharing the info Tiger. A neat solution. Given that you have roof rack is there any reason you didn't opt for the Kari Tek solution?

Personally I don't want to hang off the rear door/carrier hence looking to go the tow ball route, but your set up does look very simple and effective.
Post #387729 12th Jan 2015 3:48pm
kmac

I have a Kari-tek for my canoe. Not too keen on it to be honest - a bit of a faf and you have this fugly contraption on the roof
Post #387864 12th Jan 2015 9:53pm
Xelr8

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Montalcino Red
Fellrunner wrote:
Just an update to keep pooling knowledge.

The Thule carrier will fit, but requires the adapter which means you lose one of the bike slots. However, with the Thule carrier tilted down whilst the rear door will open it fouls the carrier once about a foot or so open.

I haven't checked whether the Thule would work with a tow bar extension fitted, but my guess is that it wouldn't because the door would still foul (I don't think an extension would push the carrier far enough away from the vehicle).

Also, a Discovery 2 extension box will not fit a 110 tow plate (the fitting holes align horizontally but not vertically).

I think where that leaves us - thanks to kmac's input too - is that to fit a tow ball mounted bike support to a 110 (not including the suspended bike types) requires BOTH (1) extending the tow ball and the (2) the Atera type carriers which slide away from the vehicle and therefore in so doing don't increase the vertical height of the carrier such to foul the rear door when opened. This way you get to both leave the rear wheel on the door and are able to fully open the door with the carrier fitted.

Now I just need to return the Thule 929 and Disco 2 extension box I bought and buy an Atera bike carrier and either a tow ball extender or a 130 tow plate (part number VPLDT0086) Big Cry

Hi Fellrunner

Which Atera bike rack are you going for?
Post #388501 14th Jan 2015 7:36pm
Fellrunner

Lots of great reviews of the Strada DL, which is a relatively very light rack too. Then saw the Vario which, whilst heavier, seems to fold down to a very convenient size for storage. Think it will be one of those two.

Sent an email to Westfalia earlier in the week seeking info on the extension bar kmac refers to, but haven't had a reply yet. I've also found an extension bar made by "Holdfast" in South Africa which can be delivered to the UK, though the Westfalia option seems like a great unit (if it's available of course!).
Post #388827 15th Jan 2015 7:23pm
kmac

The Westfalia one was available through this company in Denmark

http://web.monoflexdata.se/index.htm?Go2Shop=?lang=da-dk

They seem to have shorter ones now though - only 90cm

I got Westfalia UK to import it for me from their Skandi subsidiary Monoflex
Post #388874 15th Jan 2015 9:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 11 <123 ... 91011>