Home > Td5 > Fuel Pipes Wrong - Damage? TD5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Fuel Pipes Wrong - Damage? TD5
Hi All,

Had a complete nightmare of a day today. Getting distracted left, right and centre and making silly mistakes that I shouldn't of been making.

Today I changed the fuel filter housing and the FPR. First mistake was I forgot to pull the gauze out and clean it! But either way, after I change those 2, she wouldn't fire.

Kep priming, kept trying ... nothing ...

Went for so long I killed the battery. Truck recovery yard then decided to try giving me a tow start. Half a mile and nothing. I let them do it as they are well practised!

Got back in a very foul mood, they gave everything a check over and couldn't see anything wrong. I was careful with the O-Ring in the FPR so I'm 99% sure its fine, but as a last resort I will remove and check!

However, just packed up and a light bulb struck me ... I checked the pipes on the housing and followed them to their ends. My Red cover and Black cover got mixed up, so they have been the opposite way around throughout all this. Stupid mistake I should be well versed in not making, but alas, I did, and it's done!

Have I done any damage?

What damage could it of done? Anything to the new housing and valves? Anything to injectors or new FPR?

I put them right and tried again, but still no start, but this was using whatever was left in the battery after being sat (safety had kicked in previously, so was pretty flat!).

This is all to try and cure very poo starting that has developed over the past 2 weeks. Was 100% on the button, but past 14 days have been horrendous and yesterday took 2 cycles and many minutes of starter to get her to kick in. Once running, fine though.

Have injector seals to go, but just want to check what damage I may have done?
Post #344739 12th Jul 2014 6:56pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Don't know about the fuel pipes, but I had a period of poor starting on my TD5 and it turned out to be a loose connection on one of the relays under the drivers seat.

I closed up the spade connectors on the relay and all has been well for several months.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Simon
Post #344822 13th Jul 2014 8:53am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
When I built the project90-3, during the numerous head changes and bodging ahem, modifying the fuel cooler to work with a mix mach of 10P and 15P fuel pipes, I ended up with the flow and return the wrong way round on the engine.

It ran fine the "wrong" way, and seemed no different once I corrected it.

Note: I never drove it as it was during the build, so the engine was only on tickover on the drive (and the odd revving of it), so the fuel pressure regulator may/may-not have come into play; I'm not sure how it works in relation to the running of the engine, and/or if it works when fed fuel "backwards", but as I say, mine ran fine afterwards anyway.

So if you'rs didn't even start, then I can't see any damage would have been done.
Post #344831 13th Jul 2014 9:52am
bga86

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
A quick tip, un screw the water separator from the filter and prime the pump to see if fuel comes out. If it doesn't, unscrew the connections on your OLD filter housing and make sure the new ones are the same. There is a little gauze type plunger in one of the connectors and I have had brand new genuine filter housings come down with this in the wrong position! It causes exactly the symptoms you're having. Swap it to the same position as it was on your old housing and it'll work. Let us know how you get on Thumbs Up
Post #344907 13th Jul 2014 5:04pm
bga86

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Any good?
Post #345492 15th Jul 2014 10:39pm
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Sorry should of replied sooner.

I checked all the valves as soon as the old one came off as I'd previously read about them being wherever the production line fancied them!

So they were correct and then nipped up to seal!

After swapping the lines around and with a fresh battery, a few cycles later and bit of starting on full throttle she eventually smoked into life and seemed to be ok so far!

I'll update my other thread but the WJN000030 filter is bob on for the later TD5, so no need to spend 2.5x the price on WJN500150.
Post #345527 16th Jul 2014 8:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1