Home > Td5 > Defender TD5 15P oil leak at rear drivers side
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Defender TD5 15P oil leak at rear drivers side
Hi there,
My 2002 110 TD5 looks to have developed an oil leak (another one) from the corner nearest the driver's knees (RHD). I have recently done the rocker cover gasket whilst I was replacing the injector seals and loom. There are no signs of a leak from this area.

The majority of the oil seems to be visible from below and the bottom of the starter motor is saturated, however the top of the starter is bone dry as is the inlet manifold. The only place I can see from above that is wet with oil is the corner of the joint between the head and block. In turn the fuel pressure regulator also seems quite damp with oil. I have checked and it is definately not diesel, only engine oil.

Is it common for TD5s to leak oil from that corner of the Head gasket? Is there anything else in that area that could be the source?

Many Thanks
Steve
Post #330506 12th May 2014 11:57am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Most likely culprit would be the semi circle part of the rocker cover gasket losing its sealing ability. You can take the cover off and use some gasket sealant such as Blue Hylomar or get a new gasket.
Post #330508 12th May 2014 12:18pm
rallysteve

Cheers, I have had a look at the holes in the head gaskets on the internet and it doesnt seem as though there is an oil pressure feed anywhere near that area so doubt it is the head gasket.

What I am wondering is if it was leaking before I had done the rocker gasket and the oil all over the underside still existant. I havent noticed any noticable oil puddles under the engine on the drive recently.

Cheers
Steve
Post #330510 12th May 2014 12:22pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
That rear part of the rocker cover gasket with the semi circle lump on it just allows enough out to seep down under the rear sound cover and allways seems to come round via the fuel pressure regulator and then down the wiring to the starter motor. If the FPR starts to leak as well(as I found out) it then tracks into the starter solonoid and causes starter motor problems by stopping the solonoid from working.
It is easily fixed by cleaning round the gasket sealing surfaces and running a bead of gasket sealant and get a new gasket in the future.
Post #330515 12th May 2014 12:46pm
rallysteve

Good to know,
Cheers
Post #330519 12th May 2014 1:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1