↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Sankey Wide Track Trailer Upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Thanks Very Happy I am particularly pleased with how the arches have come out.

A trip to the tip was an excuse for its' maiden voyage since fitting the new wheels and arches today, which included a stop for some pictures (as you do):

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 5th Nov 2017 12:51pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #273738 14th Oct 2013 5:26pm
pope10001

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Zermatt Silver
Looking very nice! Seems the price of Sankeys are going through the roof at the moment.

Looking froward to the next instalment.

Regards,

Mark
Post #273835 14th Oct 2013 8:01pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Smile The next instalment could take a while. Next big job is to paint it, but that won't be until next year now. I want to change the lights for NAS ones too, but that'll be part of stripping it for painting too. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #273850 14th Oct 2013 8:35pm
foxhound

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Widetrack Mk3 Trailer
Thought people might be interested in this.

I wanted a trailer that could have a roof tent mounted on it, carry plenty of 'stuff', and be secured. The cage on top of the trailer was welded up by my local garage and is bolted on to the lip of the widetrack. The tub is ply-lined so it becomes a 'warm' and quiet kennel for my dogs when unloaded (no claws on steel!). It has a mounting bracket on the side for my eccotemp shower (mine was the first sold in the UK!) The spare wheel is mounted inside on a wheel arch using part of a spare defender back door mount and one nut with a handle welded onto it. Tools are mounted inside on the mesh and there is a panel on one side which holds the 12v water pump for the shower, LED interior lighting and a box with several 5v USB and 12v ciggy lighter sockets (connected to a leisure battery).

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #283207 18th Nov 2013 3:16pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
thats cool Thumbs Up RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #283208 18th Nov 2013 3:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

Very smart. Got any pics of the inside? What are the two horizontal tubes above the front marker lights for? Darren

Post #283213 18th Nov 2013 4:10pm
foxhound

Here's my Sankey

Cage fitted for secure storage of kit (musical instruments at folk festivals!), hannibal tent on roof, and trailer ply lined (it becomes a dog kennel). Aux battery in trailer with power board (USB and cig lighter sockets for LED lights etc) and water pump mounted inside for the eccotemp on-demand gas shower which mounts on a bracket at the side of the trailer. Mine is the first eccotemp sold in UK and it's brill! hot water on demand - 70c if it's full on!

Trailer modified and cage made by Coombe Vale Garage in Teignmouth. Cover made by Exeter Tarpaulin Services.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #297016 8th Jan 2014 7:49pm
foxhound

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Very smart. Got any pics of the inside? What are the two horizontal tubes above the front marker lights for?

they're for the bracket which holds the shower, see pic below

i'll take some photos of inside when the rain stops - but basically it's just ply lined storage space with:
spare wheel on left wheel arch (a cut down rear door mounting plate is welded to the cage wall, and 1 nut with a handle welded on holds the wheel inside and out of the weather)
digging tools, bolt cutters, bow saw, sledgehammer etc fitted to the right sides of the cage, power board with usb and ciggy sockets + water pump mounted near the front end hatch. aux battery in front of right wheel arch

For family and festival trips with my band I usually carry this in the trailer for luxury camping (anyone can be uncomfortable!):
2 x jerricans water
1 x 9x9 tent (with zips put in long wall)
1 x gazebo using 9x9 frame
storm lashings and 2ft heavy duty pegs (made from angle iron cut with point and hooks welded on)
shower tent frame and curtain (fits to top of shower mount)
2 x army 5ft tables
2 x army 6ft benches cut down to 5 ft and varnished
4 x folding chairs (no arms - can't play instruments from chairs with arms!)
2 x 3.8kg gaz cylinders
Stove, cooking and cleaning kit, gobbling rods, 2 pan sets from no 12 burner etc all in polypropylene croc boxes with drain holes at bottom (I'll buy wolf boxes when i have more cash!)
2 x norwegian containers to use as cool boxes
2 x wheel chocks
2 x US army cots + mossie nets in case guests stay in the 9x9!

Click image to enlarge
Post #297017 8th Jan 2014 7:51pm
LandRoverAnorak

Ah, very cool Thumbs Up Darren

Post #299281 16th Jan 2014 9:11am
Yannis

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Will wheels with a offset of ET -35 sit about the same as standard rims with 30mm spacers?
Post #711068 6th Jun 2018 12:48pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
No.

Assuming by "standard" you mean normal Defender steel rims (5.5F16, 33mm offset), then a standard wheel on a 30 mm spacer will have a resultant offset of 3mm (i.e., the centreline of the rim is 3mm inboard of the hub mating face).

If you really mean -35mm offset for the alternative wheels (i.e., the centreline of the wheel is 35mm outboard of the mating face), then there will be a 38mm difference between these wheels and standard wheels.
Post #711073 6th Jun 2018 12:56pm
Yannis

Ok, I think I understand how the offset works.

Is the Sankey axel the same width as the 90’s?

Basically my scenario is;

I have a Wide Track mk3 which I am converting to an overland trailer and I’m trying to decide on the wheels to fit to it.

On my 90, I have a set of Startech 18” wheels with an offset of ET20 which brings the wheel perfectly in line with the arch.

I want to fit a set of black modulars to the trailer and have the wheel sit slightly further out than the Sankey tub so that I can fit the Defender arches to the tub and have it match the width of the 90. (The standard tub will be removed but it’s the same width as I will be working with)

I will be ordering from 4x4tyres.co.uk and the options they have are 16” x 8 in either ET0 or ET-35

Also, would someone mind to measure the width of the tub in a MK3 as I have found a few diffrent dimensions on the web.

Cheers

Yan
Post #711107 6th Jun 2018 3:53pm
blackwolf

As far as I know the track of the widetrack Sankey (and similar trailer types) is the same as a coil-sprung Landrover.

Therefore if you have ET20 Startech wheels on the Defender and you could get a modular steel of the same rim width and offset, the track should be the same. An ET0 modular will make the trailer wider than the Defender, and an ET35 will make it narrower.

Since the offset of a wheel is a measurement of the distance between the mounting face and the centre of the rim, it is the offset (not the width) that affects the track (a narrower rim with the same offset will result in the same track but more sidewall bulge). If you really want them to be the same track and look the same you'll need to find a rim with the same width and offset at the Defender.

There's no technical reason why you couldn't fit 18" Startechs to the trailer, of course.
Post #711110 6th Jun 2018 4:24pm
Yannis

Ok,

So looking at a offset comparison calculator, it seems 7x16 ET0 will give the same distance to the outside face of the wheel as the wheels on the 90. Well 1mm more and the tyres will have a slightly bigger bulge.

The 7x16 ET0 also sits the wheel 52mm further out than the standard 5.5x16 ET33 wheels so when I add the Defender arch, they should fit inline.

I hope I have understood all this correctly.

P.s, I am buying 4 to carry 2 spares that can be used on either the Defender or the trailer. Hence modular and not Startech ££££
Post #711112 6th Jun 2018 4:27pm
blackwolf

What width are the Startechs?
Post #711128 6th Jun 2018 6:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>