↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > What Caravan?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Just for interest Bailey have dropped the 'check torque on bolts' now on service on the Alutech models, because im informed by my dealer (who i trust, family freind) that they never found any loose ones. The ones under the shower tray (on mine at least) are bolted in from underneath - don't know about any that might be behind the shower cubicle though Shocked

I'm not inclined to try moving mine on my own, having had one hernia stitched Mr. Green that's why I bought a motor mover and another landrover, if neither of them can manage it then it can stay put until help arrives Thumbs Up

Useful to have an insiders view though.

Dj 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #165418 30th Aug 2012 8:00pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
We have a Bailey. Absolutely love it. My experience of non-alutech vans is that they don't really compare in terms of stiffness and fit n finish.

Obviously it's a hand built construction with materials designed to keep weight down so you get the sort of DIY feel to parts of it - but we're used to that with Defenders anyway. At least it's not held together with sealant like some new wood/GRP vans.

Honestly, can't fault it. If you look round Caravan Club sites at the moment, a disproportionate amount of the new vans are Bailey so that tells you something.

Motor movers are a huge bonus. You can still move them around with a couple of adults but generally my wife is preventing the kids from killing themselves or each other whilst I'm left to manoeuvre and hitch. Backing up a loaded Defender onto the ball unaided is something I've still not mastered (cue Trailair advert) so movers take all the stress out of it. Also a lot easier to move the van around disconnected than rely on the tragic turning circle of the Defender to do a 57 point shuffle. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #167987 12th Sep 2012 10:53pm
Mynstral

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Montalcino Red
Thanks Alantd.

Looks like it will be a Bailey of some description. like the layout of the twin axle models. Will make a dessission over the weekend.

Thanks every one for you input. Myn. Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.
Post #168225 13th Sep 2012 9:55pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I was put off the twin axle models as I understand it's a bit more tricky levelling them up on uneven ground, as well as the towing height being a lot more crucial.

I could well be wrong but worth thinking about non the less.

Bailey I think would be a good choice.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #168245 13th Sep 2012 10:30pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
d j hutton wrote:
I was put off the twin axle models as I understand it's a bit more tricky levelling them up on uneven ground, as well as the towing height being a lot more crucial.

I could well be wrong but worth thinking about non the less.

Bailey I think would be a good choice.

DJ

The other issue with twin axle is they're a Censored to move about - not to mention that you need 2 sets of motor movers if you go down that route (which you'll almost certainly have to).

That said, it's always worth getting the layout that you like - after all you have to live with it for years. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #170179 23rd Sep 2012 2:25pm
J8GHX

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Quote:

The other issue with twin axle is they're a Censored to move about - not to mention that you need 2 sets of motor movers if you go down that route (which you'll almost certainly have to).

Today's top tip!

If there's only one or two of you, and you need to manoeuvre a twin axle trailer/caravan through an angle without the use of a vehicle, buy yourself a roll of heavy duty bin liners / rubble sacks and some fairy liquid.

Method = 4x bags, liberal squirt of fairy liquid in each and a touch of water. Squish the solution around inside the bag.

Put one bag behind each wheel and roll the trailer / caravan onto them and spin it around to your heart's content.

Don't try this on a side slope, otherwise you risk it Censored off down the hill!

It's a tried and tested method on a both a large Ifor Williams trailer and a Swift 650 caravan.

Hope this helps!

JH. Currently....... all gone...... pending delivery of a mid life crisis.......
Previously..... Quite a few! I really am a sucker for them!
Post #170266 23rd Sep 2012 7:07pm
IanW

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
On about our sixth van now since the eighties. For stability I would always go for a twin axle if you have something big enough to tow the weight, a large fridge with a separate freezer, and the Alde heating system which spreads the heat throughout the van and gives constant hot water and timed heating if you can work out the programming. On a large outfit blown air is ineffective. Provided you have plenty of room manoevrability is not a problem. One thing which is a pain on a twin axle outfit is lining up both the wheels on the lock receivers on the chassis. Unless you are very lucky you usually need to use the jack to align them. A fixed bed layout is great unless you like a bit of bed assembly before turning in. If there are more than two people in the van a centre toilet/ shower is best rather than have people tramping through your bedroom en route to an end loo. Think very hard about the layout and your needs. Lots of money to be lost part exchanging a van because you bought the wrong one - about one third of the price lost in 18 months to two years. One wife - livid
Post #170276 23rd Sep 2012 7:28pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
We bought our first ever caravan this year having previously used a campervan. We ended up with a new Coachman Pastiche and are really delighted with it.
Post #283747 20th Nov 2013 4:11pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
We have just got a Coachman Pastiche too. Compared to the Sterling Eccles which self destructed at less than 3 years old at Peterborough show it is an absolute dream. Every time the Sterling Eccles went out I opened the door wondering what bit of plastic would have fallen off, touch wood the Coachman has been out 3 times and nothing has fallen off.
I would not touch anything from Sterling/Swift with somebody else's barge pole! Our last one came back from Peterborough on the back of a flatbed because the hitch had almost parted company with chassis, it was less than 3 years old and guess what it wasn't covered under warranty.
Given that the only time we use the caravan is attending shows or visiting the odd supplier it probably gets far less use than the average recreational van, but we were told that it probably wasn't up to it!
Regards
Barbara
Post #283869 20th Nov 2013 10:35pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Get a Hymer top quality Thumbs Up
Post #283901 20th Nov 2013 11:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12