↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > What Caravan?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mynstral

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Montalcino Red
What Caravan?
Hi All.

Been looking at caravans over the weekend(new). All the interiors look the same, who in your opinion makes the most durable van? looking for a 4 berth with double bed always made.

Any help would be welcome, good points and bad!!

Regards Myn Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.
Post #164577 26th Aug 2012 7:19pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
I reckon they are all similar in quality. Most are made for the mass market and are churned out on a production line. I saw this first hand when I went on a tour of the Swift caravan production line.

I think Coachman used to be good quality, but I dont know if thats still the case? Gone are the days when you could buy a quality bespoke brand like Safari. But most of the common brands should be ok. I know Swift do lightweight versions of their caravans, they call them Sport models. I assume they loose the extra weight by having thinner cupboard carcases etc?
Post #164617 26th Aug 2012 8:43pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
If you want truly durable then take a look at the Alutech bodied vans from Bailey. A very different form of construction to traditional vans, with no wood in the structure to rot and a ten year warranty. After having three consecutive vans suffer from damp, we've gone for a Pegasus to solve the problem once and for all.

http://www.baileyalu-tech.co.uk/index.php Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #164620 26th Aug 2012 9:00pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
If you want truly durable then take a look at the Alutech bodied vans from Bailey. A very different form of construction to traditional vans, with no wood in the structure to rot and a ten year warranty. After having three consecutive vans suffer from damp, we've gone for a Pegasus to solve the problem once and for all.

http://www.baileyalu-tech.co.uk/index.php

That's what I went for, sitting up the the bed at the moment watching the rain over Lyme Regis. Ended up with an Olympus which we are happy with, not overly wide and everything we want.

Liked the idea of no wood to rot, but the floor is still wood though!

Seems fairly sturdy, I agree that apart for actual layout they all seem similar inside construction until you go up the price ranges. Probably to keep the weight down so a car can tow them.

Probably a good time to buy as 2013 models get announced there maybe bargians to be had

Dj 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #164675 27th Aug 2012 7:47am
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
We looked at half a dozen a few days ago, from £8k up to £25k and they were all very similar. Seems the higher price gets you the bigger shower/toilet area with the 'proper bed' and the lower price gave the option of one or the other. They seemed awful expensive, TBH.
Post #164759 27th Aug 2012 6:23pm
Mynstral

Thanks all for your replies.

Today we've looked at the Bailey Unicorn Barcelona, in a dealer sale near us. 3k off rrp!! Ex Demo. Wife fallen in love with it. But I quite like the new 2013 model, Is it worth the extra money tho??

before splashing the cash thinking of visiting NEC show in October.

Regards for now, Myn. Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.
Post #164771 27th Aug 2012 7:14pm
sparkylee

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Santorini Black
Def go to caravan show Before you commit
If you don't mind going over details with all the different companies again and again there will be loads of old stock and new stock to shift at good prices
But if I where you I would avoid a show demo caravan as it will have had so much foot fall and cupboards opened and shut it will be worn out lol
enjoy your new caravan what ever you decide Thumbs Up It's good to be back from the dark side

DC110 -2012 Black with black hood and black x-tech
FFRR 4.2 vogue
Renault traffic auto
PT crusier convertible
Laika x700 Motorhome
Post #164780 27th Aug 2012 7:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WarPig

Good idea to go to the NEC to make your purchase. But dont go there to look around the different models in the hope of making your mind up. I went last year just to browse, but it was so crowded folk were queueing just to get a look inside the caravans. I had to leave after 30mins, I couldnt take it any longer!!

Best to do your homework first and narrow down your choices beforehand, contact various dealers throughout the country and get their prices for the vans your interested in. Then go to the NEC to play one dealer off against another. Each manufacturer has a stand staffed with reps from the various dealers throughout the country. They pay a handsome sum for the pleasure. Just because you buy a caravan from a dealer located elswhere in the country, doesnt mean you cant then get it serviced locally. Just account for the journey there to collect it. Sales of new caravans have taken a downward turn which should suggest its a buyers market?

If you do go make sure its a week day, not a weekend.
Post #164945 28th Aug 2012 6:02pm
Mynstral

Thanks WarPig.

Week day it is, dont like the crowds either!! I think we have narrowed down to the bailey unicorn range. wether it is 2012 or 2013 spec??

I'll start pestering exiberting dealers soon.

myn. Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.
Post #164992 28th Aug 2012 9:03pm
shrew

United Kingdom 
hi mate dont touch the new ali-tech form bailey it is rubbish i use to work with them if you want a good make go with a german make something like hymer
Post #165129 29th Aug 2012 4:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Care to elaborate? Why are they rubbish? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #165163 29th Aug 2012 6:55pm
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Shrew you have confirmed my worst suspicions !

For 7 years I had a problem- free Swift Charisma dealer special 'celeste' model. Ironically, I lived only 2 miles from the dealer. Last year I bought a Lunar Quasar 546 from a dealer in Northern Ireland and I have had a long list of faults most of which I cannot remember now but obviously due to shoddy build and pi55 poor quality control.

I have made three round trips at seven hours each and have spent € 350 in diesel to have these faults adressed. I have also fixed some myself (leaks). Having just come back from a lovely 2 week stay in Malvern I Have noticed that the supposedly fixed leaky toilet flush is bad again and I have spoken to the owner of the dealers to request that Lunar take the van back to the factory to be properly sorted. I await their reply.

The bottom line is that, as far as British caravans go, you can be lucky or unlucky. They're all the same and anyway they all share the same components. Toilets are all Thetford. Heaters are all Truma etc. They're all knocked up by guys with one eye on the clock looking forward to teabreak/hometime and its the purchaser who does the QC.

German caravans like Hobby and LMC are indeed far superior. But there is one tiny problem. They do tend to be favoured by sections of the, er, community who like big fat weddings so right or wrong many people including me won't be seen dead in them. Shame really and its my own fault so I end up with a pile of crap which should never have left the factory. But I will not be buying another caravan for a long long time so I'm determined to get it sorted whatever it takes !
Post #165166 29th Aug 2012 7:14pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Forum rumours were that there were some issues with early alutech models , but that's not unusual now is it? Looks like they have all been addressed now.

It's true that they are all pretty lightweight inside and having now bought a van I realise that's to save weight so that smaller cars can tow them. Some of the European makes look a bit better built but I would have had to pay easily 30% more for a smaller less well specified German/French van. Anyway mrs h made the final choice, led by the 'no wood' decision early on, this led to a bailey Olympus (the poor mans Pegasus/unicorn )

So far happy with it and pleased to be supporting British industry which is why we all buy Defenders isn't it?

Get what you and the mrs like and don't take any notice of the doom sayers, and whatever you do get a motor mover fitted, it's far more fun than a rc car and saves a potential hitching embarrassment on your first trip. And you'll also need croc shoes and 3/4 length trousers to fit in (also realised this was a good idea due to the continual wet grass!)

Enjoy your choice ( the new unicorns do have a funky great big window at the front, wet central heating, etc, but don't buy what you don't need) look at the safety kit as well, anti snake, atc, alko hitch etc, all good. New unicorns are grp outer skin rather than aluminium which may be better - who knows really. If its just the two of you go for the fixed bed version, just like a mini travel lodge - I'm surprised I'm saying this but enjoying it more than I thought.

Also now discovered that mrs h has booked us in for the Nec show on a sunday Shocked but at least we are going to see defenders being built on the Monday, so not all bad, she will get her awning and I'll get a landrover cap Thumbs Up

Dj 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #165182 29th Aug 2012 7:47pm
WarPig

The caravans weight is regarded as most owners as being crucial, but obviously less so or us Defender owners. Therefore we can get our caravans re-plated to be able to carry additional weight if needed.

I understand caravan manufacturers plate the caravans maximum weight in order for it to be towed by lighter cars, despite the caravan actually being able to carry more weight. Most dealers/manufacturers charge about £50 to reissue a new plate for your caravan allowing you to load more weight into it.

Perhaps best if I start a new thread on the subject so it appears in search results?
Post #165219 29th Aug 2012 9:30pm
shrew

United Kingdom 
also in the alitech model you have to have the bolts retightened but they are everywhere you can never get to them eg- under ther shower tray,
also they are not light you still need a motor and 5 people to kove them we just need to go back to the old times thats why i have nevewr that a caravan nor will i ever unless its a teardrop which i will build myself
Post #165405 30th Aug 2012 6:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>