↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Sankey Wide Track Trailer Upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
No, they're not made anymore - they've been replaced by a new type called Penman.

As it happens, there are quite a few on eBay at the moment. Search for 'sankey trailer uk'.

Prices range from a few hundred for a scruffy example up to over a thousand for a restored and/or converted for camping one. There's also a Penman on there for £1900!

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, mine cost me £600 as a restored original example. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 3rd Sep 2013 10:15pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #260015 20th Aug 2013 7:51am
johnnyd

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Hmmm if I type sankey trailer uk I get no items.....maybe it's this ipad app

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #260017 20th Aug 2013 7:55am
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
"Sankey Trailer" on the iPad eBay app returns a number of trailers...

Cheers

Simon
Post #260019 20th Aug 2013 8:05am
LandRoverAnorak

Back from hols and had a bit of time to spend on the trailer today. First task was to mount a lockable box on the A frame. The box is ex-mil in origin and is both lockable and has a rubber seal to the lid, so should be ideal for the location.

Click image to enlarge

The box is positioned so that the lid can open vertically and so is slightly forward of the trailer body. Unfortunately, it's just a little bit too big so it has to fit over the left hand grab handle in order to miss the brake reservoir, and therefore needs to be spaced upwards slightly. I made some spacers from offcuts of an old nylon chopping board, which is easy to cut and drill whilst being inert. They're also bright yellow!

Click image to enlarge

The box is fixed with four bolts into rivnuts set into the chequer plate A frame cover:

Click image to enlarge

Next job was to fabricate a cover for the brake reservoir, which sticks up through the A frame cover. I made this from an offcut of chequer plate, bent to a suitable shape:

Click image to enlarge

Again fixed with bolts into rivnuts, the cover was slotted and keyed so that it can be removed without having to completely remove the bolts:

Click image to enlarge

The finished combination. Note that I've had to re-position the jockey wheel slightly so that the handle misses the top of the box:

Click image to enlarge

I need to paint the box to finish the job, which I'll get around to during the week, hopefully. I've also ordered wheel arches, so fitting them will be the next task! Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 5th Nov 2017 12:41pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #262954 1st Sep 2013 6:39pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
looking good now like the box Thumbs Up RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #262964 1st Sep 2013 7:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks RLD. It'll look better when painted Smile Darren

Post #263011 1st Sep 2013 9:45pm
LandRoverAnorak

New wheel arches arrived today:

Click image to enlarge

These are made from an ABS-type plastic that are intended for a Transit twin wheel tipper or similar.

Couldn't resist offering them up to see how they'll look:

Click image to enlarge

The plan is to cut them down to the right width to just cover the protruding tyres. I'll fix them with bolts down through the tub from the top and with some sort of supports at each end - maybe some thickish rubber sheet. They're very light so the ends will only really need restraining rather than supporting. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 5th Nov 2017 12:42pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #263546 3rd Sep 2013 8:48pm
LandRoverAnorak

Today I've fitted the extended wheel arches mentioned above to my wide track.

After much measuring, I began by cutting the arches to shape. This involved reducing their width by 60mm or so and then notching the back corners as, strangely, the chassis is slightly wider than the body between the wheel boxes.

Click image to enlarge

All of the cutting was done using tin snips, which left a nice clean edge.

The arches were to be fixed to the trailer with stainless nuts and bolts through the body wheel boxes. The top was easy as the arches could be bolted straight to the body but the ends were more difficult. I decided to use some 6mm thick rubber sheet, which could be bolted to the body and then flex to meet up with the shape of the lower edges of the arches.

Click image to enlarge

There are four of these rubber sheets - one for each end of each arch - and I clamped them together and drilled them in one go so that they looked neat and tidy. With a combination of measuring and offering up the pre-drilled sheets, the holes in the tub were marked and drilled to match.

Inside the tub, the fixings are quite discreet.

Click image to enlarge

With a little bit of trial and error, the arches were offered up, marked, drilled and fixed in position. I included a spacer made of 12mm thick nylon at the top, just for aesthetics really.

Click image to enlarge

One thing that became immediately obvious is that the wheels aren't central to the wheel boxes in the tub. The suspension design means that they move backwards slightly when it compresses, so I guess that's to allow for this. I chose to fit the extended arches centrally though, as it just didn't make sense any other way. It's not apparent from any angle other than square on to the side.

Click image to enlarge

More importantly, the new arches work perfectly in covering the protruding tyres.

Click image to enlarge

All finished for today. I'm hoping that the full width plastic arches will protect the underside of the wheel boxes from road spray and grit, and therefore help to stop it rusting so easily.

Click image to enlarge

Next jobs include painting various small parts, painting both the chassis and tub (which won't get done until next year now), fitting NAS lights to match my 110 and designing an aluminium lid. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 5th Nov 2017 12:46pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #264460 7th Sep 2013 4:30pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
looking good Darren - what's next ?
Post #264463 7th Sep 2013 4:56pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Smile As I say, painting various bits - including the box on the front that I haven't managed to do yet.

The one other thing I need to do soon is to build a frame to sit under the canvas and raise it up to prevent rain collecting in it. It's got to live outside soon as there's a another, non-LR, project destined for the garage. Darren

Post #264512 7th Sep 2013 9:13pm
LandRoverAnorak

A spare hour today saw the fabrication of a frame to sit under the canvas and lift it up to stop rain collecting in it:

Click image to enlarge

The frame is built from 20mm plastic conduit, chosen because it's light and flexible so able to bend into a curve. It's supported on two flat plywood brackets that sit inside the tub on the wheel boxes. No pictures of those though, as I was out of time after I'd got the canvas back on. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 5th Nov 2017 12:47pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #268603 22nd Sep 2013 6:01pm
LandRoverAnorak

Added a bit of security today with this hitch lock:

Click image to enlarge

This is what its' comprised of:

Click image to enlarge

The part under the lock comes with the foam shown already in place to keep the two parts separate. I added the foam to the other part though, so it doesn't get scratched on the hitch ring.

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 5th Nov 2017 12:49pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #273163 12th Oct 2013 4:01pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
well looking good now Thumbs Up RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #273166 12th Oct 2013 4:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks very much Very Happy Darren

Post #273172 12th Oct 2013 5:23pm
238kirk

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Belize Green
Looking great, love the arches they suit it and the box and cover match as they are Thumbs Up
Post #273232 12th Oct 2013 8:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>