↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Defender door cards - stop the flap!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
equipe59

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Stornoway Grey
Defender door cards - stop the flap!
Not exactly a ground-breaking or technically challenging one, but I thought I might share with people how I went about sorting out the usual Defender problem of flappy, rattly door cards Evil or Very Mad

This is what I started with:

Click image to enlarge

Usual stuff - card didn't fit properly and the lock surround was broken, and the factory tabs weren't holding the card in place any more.

So off came the card to reveal the remnants of the plastic lock fixings:

Click image to enlarge

Then I took out the remains of the plastic receiver fixings to the holes at the top and bottom of the front edge of the door, and in the bottom rear corner. Note lack of rust due to high build-quality of doors:

Click image to enlarge

Conveniently, the holes are just the right size to accept an M5 rivnut Thumbs Up , so these were duly fitted into the holes.

The door card then needed the old fixing drilling out from the bottom front corner:

Click image to enlarge

and then I thought I was all set to start putting it back together. Then I noticed the top rail of the actual door structure was fractured, explaining the flappy twang noises as the door was closed Confused .....

Click image to enlarge

..... so out came the MIG welder and a repair was made. A plumber's soldering mat avoided the glass getting splatted with weld. Whilst it cooled down, a break was in order Laughing

Click image to enlarge

then it was a case of fitting a new lock support bracket (I used a Britpart unit which was fine), re-fitting the door card and securing the three corners by the rivnuts with some M5 stainless pan-head allen bolts to supplement the remaining 'fir-tree' fixings. Add a new surround to the lock and it all looked good as new, doesn't rattle and makes the inside a wee bit more pleasant to be in.

Click image to enlarge

All in all, it took about an hour to do both doors, and the stainless allen bolts only cost a couple of quid, so I reckon pretty good results for the time and money invested Thumbs Up
Post #263823 4th Sep 2013 9:15pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Good work. My door fractured in the exact same place. I reckon its because the doors don't always close properly due to the striker bar needing adjustment, meaning you have to slam the door. Mine got welded up and is fine now.

Thumbs Up
Post #263826 4th Sep 2013 9:27pm
Cracka

2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Good job. whats the trick to getting the door lock surround undone without breaking. And also what holds the door card along the top edge. I've been able to get the rest undone but got scared Laughing when I got to those 2 spots that I couldn't release, so put it back.

Mick
Post #263844 4th Sep 2013 10:28pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
If I remember correctly, when you lift up the lock catch there is a little horizontal slot in the surround, that lets you insert a flat screwdriver to prise it up and out. Dont forget to remove the door opener surround, the door handle and the window winder. The top of the card is held in more plastic presstud type fittings that allow you to just pop the door card off.

My door cards are off at the moment, so I could take some photos for you tomorrow?
Post #263846 4th Sep 2013 10:35pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
equipe59...brilliant clean professional job.
With skills like that, if you lived next to me, I could keep you very busy, "practising yor skills"!
Well done, Pickles.
Post #263858 4th Sep 2013 11:06pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
The trick to removing the door lock surround is a piece of 2x1 timber or similar approx 12" long, place the flat of the 1" side under the lowest point of the surround and hit the timber from beneath with a hammer.
Post #263877 5th Sep 2013 7:18am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cracka

Thanks for that info WarPig and Matt, I'll have a crack at it. I've got a little rattle in there, plus I haven't done the sound proofing in them yet.

What's the trick to getting the top edge of the card off, along the window edge. I'm assuming there is some form of retainers there.

I'm in the middle of 'flattening' off the rear area to store my 4 Wolf packs that arrived today. Got lots of ply and carpet and 3 1 metre load rails to go in.

Mick
Post #263916 5th Sep 2013 10:00am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
No secret there really, there are four (or five Rolling Eyes ) clips exactly the same as the others on the door along the top.

These are probably the easiest to remove and rarely break, just pull the panel away from the door starting at the hinge end at right angles rather than lifting the panel upwards if at all possible.
Post #263918 5th Sep 2013 10:03am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cracka

Ahaa, I had tried previously and had taken both sides and the bottom off but got scared off when I saw the lock clip and also couldn't see anything along that top edge.

Thanks Matt, I'll have a go when I finish the current project.

Mick
Post #263920 5th Sep 2013 10:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1