↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > nnn ecu on 2001-better drive?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sandylands

nnn ecu on 2001-better drive?
hi all, i have a 2001 td5 xtech and i have an msb ecu. I see someone on the dreaded bay that can provide a nnn ecu to fit any defender age, i guess he programs them somehow. the reason i want this is that no one wants to drive my 2001 td5 as its jerky and has no anti stall, im not so fussed although the anti stall is nice for towing cattle and to be honest even i find the 2001 td5 jerky againts the later td5. Will fitting the nnn ecu give me the upgrades that it brought to the later models??
and i have done the low box mod and made sure the anti shunt clutch switch is working, Bloody thing is just very jerky still!!
Any help is much appreciated as if the family cant get on with it then it will have to be replaced and i can probably only afford jap Big Cry
thanks all
Post #259506 17th Aug 2013 11:26pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
All Td5's had anti stall. check that the clutch switch is still connected (or working)... it's on the top of the clutch master cylinder, where the oil pipe comes out, there's a union with a pressure switch attached. If you unplug this switch then you'll get the symptoms that you're describing.

A later ECU will just be programmed with (hopefully) the later version of the software, which I believe did make the drive a bit better. Hopefully one of the tuning expert will chime in and describe it better.

edit: just re-read your post and see that you have checked the switch.

Just need to ask, how did you check it? did you just meter the switch itself, or use a diagnostic device so that you're 100% sure the ECU is seeing the switch operate?
Post #259587 18th Aug 2013 10:59am
sandylands

Hi, cheers for replying, i checked the switch by un plugging it and it is much more jerky with it disconnected. connected is better, but as ive said its very jerky, not great for towing cattle or horses, i just wondered if anyone who had and msb and now has a nnn has noticed the difference.
Cheers
Post #259705 18th Aug 2013 9:34pm
sandylands

oh also i thought only 2002 models onwards had anti stall?? unless the early anti stall was not very good??
Post #259711 18th Aug 2013 9:45pm
abomb1969

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Santorini Black
Sounds like my TD5, jerky as hell in 1st. Anti stall works better since I disconnected the snorkel. Its a 1999.

Will have to check my clutch switch. Whats the low range mod?
Post #259720 18th Aug 2013 9:55pm
sandylands

disconnect the low range switch and short it out by connecting the wires in the plug-ecu then thinks she is in low box and the throttle is a lot less sensitive, to be honest my 90 was almost un drivable until i did this so well worth it.
Post #259726 18th Aug 2013 10:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1