↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Sankey Wide Track Trailer Upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Sankey Wide Track Trailer Upgrade
I've always wanted a Sankey trailer. Not only do they look cool behind a Defender but, having owned a Desert Wolf trailer in the past, I appreciate that they 'match' in terms of track and off-road ability. Anyway, after a false start with a much scruffier (albeit cheaper) example, I've now got a MkIII wide track that's in excellent condition, as it was refurbished by a previous owner. I've already put up a few random posts about it in the 'What did you do...' thread, but thought it'd be worth a dedicated thread of its' own to show its' development.

This is what it looked like soon after I bought it:

Click image to enlarge

The first job when I got it home was to change the NATO towing electrics plug for a 13 pin euro one. I did this by building a junction box that allows for the conversion between the NATO and civilian cabling, which is mounted on the side of the A frame using the bolts that originally held the keep for the NATO plug:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Eventually, I plan to re-wire it completely and fit, amongst other things, different lights, so this is a relatively short term solution.

Next was fitting a civilian number plate. For this, I made an adapter plate from aluminium that bolts onto the existing military plate bracket and supports a regular plate in the correct place to line up with the number plate light:

Beyond those necessary adaptations, it doesn't need anything doing to it, but there are various things I want to do. Eventually, I plan to use it for extended camping trips, but it also has to serve as an ordinary general purpose trailer, so it won't be converted to a dedicated unit. My plan is to have a lid made that will enclose it and provide security, and incorporate roof bars on the top, which can be easily removed when not needed. I also want to paint it to match my 110 and fit matching Boost alloys too, more of which soon. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 5th May 2021 5:44am. Edited 4 times in total
Post #254677 30th Jul 2013 3:56pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Nice looking trailer. Can I ask how much ballpark a reconditioned one is likely to go for? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #254679 30th Jul 2013 4:00pm
LandRoverAnorak

Today I have been mostly fitting alloy wheels, which isn't as straightforward as it may seem. In order for the alloy wheel to fit over the hub, it's necessary to use wheel spacers and cut off the lifting rings from the hub caps. The latter are for use when slinging it under a helicopter, which I figure is a facility that I can live without Laughing The lifting ring can be seen on the hub below:

Click image to enlarge

After attacking it with a cutting disk, grinding disk and finally a flap wheel on my angle grinder, it looked like this:

Click image to enlarge

The two altered hubs are now being painted, but a trial fit of the wheels looks good:

Click image to enlarge

My 110 is also fitted with wheel spacers, so the trailer will match it exactly. I'll have to sort out some wheel arches though, as the tyres are now outside of the body by about two inches. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 5th Nov 2017 12:28pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #254684 30th Jul 2013 4:09pm
LandRoverAnorak

This one cost me £600. It also had the added advantage of being located within a couple of miles of where I live, whereas the last one I bought involved a 200 mile round trip to collect it Rolling Eyes Darren

Post #254686 30th Jul 2013 4:11pm
238kirk

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Belize Green
Nice, looks like a very tidy one, I'm planning on doing the exactly the same thing as you, a few week ago I bought a narrow track but decided I want the extra width so I've bought a wide track that I'm picking up tomorrow.
I've been looking at loads of trailers and conversions to get ideas on what I want but I think I want to do the same kind of thing as you with having a multi use trailer with a lockable weatherproof lid Thumbs Up
I wondered how the alloys fitted, does that mean you have 2 spare spacers forsale or did you manage to get 2
Keep up the good work
Post #254706 30th Jul 2013 5:12pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
nice looking trailer Thumbs Up RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #254718 30th Jul 2013 5:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

238kirk wrote:
I've been looking at loads of trailers and conversions to get ideas on what I want but I think I want to do the same kind of thing as you with having a multi use trailer with a lockable weatherproof lid Thumbs Up

I was inspired by this one that I found on eBay, which was made by Safari Equip:

Apart from the fact that they're at the other end of the country, I can't imagine that it was cheap, so I plan to try and get something similar made locally. The design will be tweaked slightly too, but that's still at the planning stage at the moment.

238kirk wrote:
I wondered how the alloys fitted, does that mean you have 2 spare spacers forsale or did you manage to get 2

I picked up two from a forum member who agreed to split a set of four. However, I noticed recently that there's an enterprising ebay seller offering pairs for this very reason - EBAY ADVERT

RLD wrote:
nice looking trailer Thumbs Up

Thanks RLD Thumbs Up Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 5th Nov 2017 12:30pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #254758 30th Jul 2013 7:52pm
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I have sent Safari Equip numerous questions about buying their Sankey bodies and lids I don't think I have ever had a reply.. www.td5.org
Post #254804 30th Jul 2013 9:35pm
LandRoverAnorak

Todays' main job was cutting and fitting an aluminium chequer plate cover for the A frame:

Click image to enlarge

This was the second attempt as I made a mistake with a measurement yesterday and formed one of the cut-outs in the wrong place Rolling Eyes This one fits nicely though and is secured with stainless bolts into rivnuts let into the top of the A frame. I've also sandwiched some thin foam between the ali and chassis to keep the metals apart.

Eventually, this cover plate will be anodised black.

Also today, I re-fitted the newly painted hub caps and then properly fitted the new wheels:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next job will be wheel arches, which I already have a cunning plan for, but it's going to be a month or so before I have time to sort out. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 5th Nov 2017 12:32pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #254955 31st Jul 2013 3:15pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
still looking good and better Thumbs Up just doing new pads on one of mine RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #254975 31st Jul 2013 4:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Just wonder why you didn't just make the electrical connections in the existing junction box just behind the a-frame? www.td5.org
Post #254983 31st Jul 2013 4:58pm
238kirk

Looking good, I like the safari equip lid too but like you say it'll be mega bucks, ill manufacture something for mine, what are your plans with the arches? My narrow track has had little panels welded in so defender arch trims can be fitted and look ok, thinking of doing something similar on my new wide track that i picked up today but riveting some sections in the square arches, possibly going to lower my hitch too so the trailer sits level
Post #254993 31st Jul 2013 5:21pm
LandRoverAnorak

me@td5.org wrote:
Just wonder why you didn't just make the electrical connections in the existing junction box just behind the a-frame?

Partly because it's not very easy to make new connections to the junction block in there and partly because I didn't fancy crawling around underneath when working out the conversion from one system to the other, which involved a degree of trial and error.

238kirk wrote:
Looking good, I like the safari equip lid too but like you say it'll be mega bucks, ill manufacture something for mine, what are your plans with the arches? My narrow track has had little panels welded in so defender arch trims can be fitted and look ok, thinking of doing something similar on my new wide track that i picked up today but riveting some sections in the square arches, possibly going to lower my hitch too so the trailer sits level

Inspired by the new Penman trailers, I plan to fit some plastic wheel arches within the recess in the tub. I've found these ones on eBay which, after a bit of modelling in CAD, I think will fit nicely:

The eBay advert can be found HERE and includes all of the dimensions. I reckon that I can just cut them down to the correct width and bolt them in with a couple of simple brackets. Darren

Post #255051 31st Jul 2013 8:04pm
LandRoverAnorak

RLD wrote:
still looking good and better Thumbs Up just doing new pads on one of mine

What pads are you using? I've read elsewhere that Scorpio rear pads are the right size but need thinning down in order to fit in the callipers. I noticed on mine that the pads have Halfords stamped on them and a code that looks like HBP325 408A, which I guess may be their own brand pads for a Scorpio? Darren

Post #255057 31st Jul 2013 8:12pm
238kirk

Nice I'd like to see those arches fitted, will you fill in the corners? And do the alloys stick out much further than the body?.... I suppose its like having the defender with spacers and no arch trims on
Post #255062 31st Jul 2013 8:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>