↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Alko/ball/drop late(?), etc.... help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
azure111s

Alko/ball/drop late(?), etc.... help!
Thinking of upgrading the family tent to a metal one with wheels (can't quite bring myself to say the C word Wink ), specifically a Lunar Quasar 546 24' single axle, cos it has the ideal family layout for us....

Have what I call the 'standard tow hitch' with single electrics on my 2012 (2.4ltr) 110 XS SW. It tows my horse trailer nice and level on the lowest set of holes.

I'm not bothered about pre-cooling the fridge in a 'tent with wheels', so can use a 13 pin adaptor with current electrics, apparently. The existing 50mm ball needs to be changed for an Alko ball according to the 'tent' salesman as the vertical 'neck' on the ball needs to be longer to allow the Alko hitch to grab it properly (something to do with preventing the stabilizing pads seating properly and stopping them from grinding). Trouble is, this would put the height of the top of the ball (when bolted on to the lowest set of holes) at about 550mm, which I think will be too high. I realise this will drop once the trailer attached, but salesman says that we may need a drop plate fitted to reduce height of ball to between 15" and 17" (400mm ish?).
Thing is, will thing introduce a weak point? Anyone suggest a solution? As you can tell, I'm new to this - have transported my tent in the boot on previous holidays Wink
Post #161236 11th Aug 2012 8:59am
Lorryman100

Never had a worry about height issues when towing a caravan with the OEM tow pack using the bottom set of holes without the need for fitting a drop plate. I have used the standard Alko towball,Bradley pin hitch and I now use the Dixon Bate extended neck ball and pin hitch. The Dixon Bate hitch sits a lot higher than the other two tow balls but you would never know any difference when looking at the Puma and caravan when hitched up.

Alko tow ball.

Click image to enlarge

Bradley tow ball

Click image to enlarge

Dixon Bate tow ball

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

As you can see the van sits level

Click image to enlarge

And the previous van was no different when hitched

Click image to enlarge

As to the electrics I chose to change to the new 13 pin connection as I also bought a 7 pin converter from here

http://www.piktrailers.co.uk/webpage.asp?m...uctid=1251

which I use when towing any trailer with the older 7 pin connection.

HTH Brian.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #161448 12th Aug 2012 6:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
azure111s

Thanks Brian - very helpful!

I'll fit the Alko ball and ask dealer if I can hitch up a display 'van and see how it looks. Judging by yours, should be ok Smile
Post #161596 13th Aug 2012 11:54am
leeds

United Kingdom 
If caravan has the Alko type hitch with the big handle and stabilising pads in the head you might have a small problem with how the spare wheel is mounted.

Dependent on tyre size, wheel on back door/swingaway wheel carrier etc the red Alko handle might foul on the spare wheel. Solution remove red handle if it occurs.

Brendan
Post #162178 15th Aug 2012 7:39pm
azure111s

I'd wondered about that too Brendan - thanks!
Post #162188 15th Aug 2012 8:13pm
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Even easier solution open the door before raising the handle. 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #254277 29th Jul 2013 12:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1