↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Cadac Safari Chef BBQ/Grill?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
i recommend the carri chef its perfect and well made the bits you don't use every trip may come in handy in the future? and it does fold down quite neatly, its awkward cooking rice or paella on a griddle!

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #241445 6th Jun 2013 1:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Pam W wrote:
Maybe I'm a dying breed, but I don't see the point of gas BBQs. Never have.

Don't like the smell of the fat burning off the lava rocks either - makes the food tastes of it. If using a gas BBQ I prefer to cook on a griddle plate as the food tastes fresher.

When we are off in the caravan we carry an old fashioned portable charcoal bbq, in the front locker. Messier than a gas one, but the real thing! Wink

I've never really noticed the difference between the two methods. The whole BBQ flavour thing comes from the fat hitting either the hot coals on a charcoal BBQ or the vaporising bar/lava rock of the gas ones, turning into smoke then coming back up through the food.

I bought a small Weber Smokey Joe (charcoal) and a gas Weber Q100 with the intention of using them for caravanning but I think I'm the only person alive who thinks BBQing is too much hassle - it takes forever to scrub the bloody things clean when you're going home !

Last year when we were in Malvern I used the gas one. The dish washing area of this very prim and proper Caravan Club site looked like I'd cleaned an old engine in the sink never mind a BBQ grill plate ! There was crap spattered all over the immaculately tiled Caravan Club walls (which I then had to clean down of course). But the kids like BBQ so I just put up with it. Rather get a curry takeaway any day ! Or fish + chips. Or a nice Waitrose ready meal. I'm just getting old and lazy maybe Confused

Last edited by rossy on 8th Jun 2013 5:09pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #242012 8th Jun 2013 4:51pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
BBQ's are a bit of a pain aren't they. There's something that draws us to the idea though.
Post #242015 8th Jun 2013 5:06pm
rossy

You've hit the nail on the head there Warpig.

BBQ seems to be de rigeur in modern day caravanning whether you like it or not. Gone are the days when my wife used to go away with her grandparents in their caravan and it was tinned spuds, tinned peas and tinned chunky chicken heated on a two burner stove in a Sprite Alpine. They only went to Malvern or Sandringham which is why we still go to Malvern today (Norfolk is too far from Ireland really for a couple of weeks) Anyway we're going back to Malvern yet again in July. Don't know what draws me to that place. Its just our favourite part of the world for a holiday. 7 times in 10 years in fact.
Post #242018 8th Jun 2013 5:27pm
WarPig

rossy wrote:
... and it was tinned spuds, tinned peas and tinned chunky chicken heated on a two burner stove in a Sprite Alpine.

Thats quite ironic as one of my memories of caravanning as a child in the 70's & 80's in our Alpine caravan was having to eat tinned spuds and tinned chunky chicken Sad . Ive just tried searching google images for a picture of tinned chunky chicken but with no joy Sad

If it wasnt for bbqs then perhaps we would still be eating that today Laughing
Post #242188 9th Jun 2013 9:29am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Yep another one for the tin spud experience. My biggest memory is the Vesta packet meals, allways curry the first night followed up by their version of chicken chow mein later in the week Rolling Eyes
Post #242196 9th Jun 2013 10:08am
rossy

Yes I remember those Vesta things. The dried 'beef' was in little spherical lumps that looked like iams or rat poison - but not as tasty Sad
Post #242438 10th Jun 2013 8:40am
andbell

United Kingdom 
Hi Rossy

I have a Weber Q and I used to turn the sink into a right old mess
trying to clean the grill.

But then I looked at the Weber website and they recommend burning any stuck
food off at max heat for 20 mins and then you can brush it off with a wire brush.

It is much better!
Post #242626 10th Jun 2013 8:59pm
rossy

Thanks Andbell I'll try that Thumbs Up
Post #243170 13th Jun 2013 8:11am
WarPig

Well the Cadac Safari Chef was worth its weight in gold when caravanning as Silverstone recently. Ive fitted a 'quick fit' connector on the 2 metre hose, because Im lazy Embarassed. Ive also marked the gas dial with marker pen so I know what setting im using ...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I find using kitchen roll to soak any excess fat up from the hot plate, before it drips down into the lower section makes cleaning so much easier.
Post #250808 11th Jul 2013 8:26pm
WarPig

Safari Chef has been getting plenty of use. Beef stir fry yesterday.....

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #252917 22nd Jul 2013 7:29am
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
I do like the look of the Safari chef - but it basically does the same thing as my Cadac 2 burner stove does - comes with 2 griddles - a flat one and a ribbed one, but also the normal 2 burner ring stands.

The advantage is that you can boil a pan / kettle on one ring while you are griddling sausages/burgers/steaks on the other. Definitely a good buy for us, but you don't seem to be able to get them anywhere anymore - whereas loads of places sell the Chef....

(Still doesn't taste as good as a proper charcoal bbq though!
My neighbour has been having a lot of BBQs recently - the smell is awful - gas BBQ with lava rocks - which smell of really 'off' meat fat when they start cooking. Awful. Would put me off my food if I was supposed to eat off it. You'd think they would replace the rocks or wash them or something...Doesn't seem to get any better as they get hot - not even nice jucy steak and burger smells - just smells bad until they stop cooking and put it away.) Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #253020 22nd Jul 2013 1:42pm
WarPig

The Cadac 2 burner does look good, but your right, they are difficult to find. There are some Delux versions on Amazon at the moment. The version with the stand looks good also Smile
Post #253027 22nd Jul 2013 2:11pm
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
We've had a Carri chef delux for several years now and can't speak too highly of it, however, it is fine when caravanning but a bit too large for camping (without a trailer). We are driving down to Southern Spain next month in our Defender. There will be six of us in the Land Rover so space is at a premium. We are planning a couple of camping stops on the way down to the apartment so needed something smaller than the "big" Cadac, so we have bought a Safari Chef, we went a way for a couple of nights to test all the kit and it performed really well, bacon and egg sarnies in the morning, chicken paella one night and Cajun chicken wraps the next! Thoroughly recommended!

Chris 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #254161 28th Jul 2013 6:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123