↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Gazebo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
iPints

United States 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Gazebo
Now I bought a cheap gazebo off ebay....3m x 3m and delivered 40 quid. Bargain i thought.

it arrived and looked good, its the pop up type so dead easy to put up....two days later and in, what can only be described a very light breeze, I have a mangled pile of scrap metal in the back garden.
Utterly rubbish.

Have contacted ebay seller to see what they will do. If not will see if paypal can do anything.....I guess the old addage is you pay for what you get.

Any recommendations on cheap 3m x 3m Gazebo?? The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead.

Albert Einstein
Post #252537 20th Jul 2013 9:49am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
I have seen these gazebos and shelters sold "for indoor use only" Shocked  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #252539 20th Jul 2013 10:05am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SGH

United Kingdom 
I bought aluminium one about 10 years ago at South of England Show and when secured down correctly it will withstand very high winds.

You'll need to be paying £200.00 + to get a half decent one.

Ours is up in our garden today we have 30 7 year olds coming for kids party starting a 2.00pm Shocked It's being used aS a coconut shy Very Happy
Post #252544 20th Jul 2013 10:33am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
You do invariably get exactly what you pay for. Dependant on what your useage will be and whether you need it portable if you have the time and inclination have you considered building your own perhaps? The end result and satisfaction can be quite gratifying. I used recycled railway sleepers, quite a bit of time and quite a lot of outlay in blood,sweat and tears but can now doze wearily in its shade on a hot day, ice cold beer in hand and enjoy it.

Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #252546 20th Jul 2013 10:37am
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Unnecessary quote removed

what a great creation Very Happy
Post #252547 20th Jul 2013 10:39am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Quote:

I guess the old addage is you pay for what you get.

Any recommendations on cheap 3m x 3m Gazebo??

Things are often cheap for a very good reason!

£40 inc delivery off ebay inc. delivery

Take away ebay fees, paypal fees, delivery, VAT etc and you are down to £20-£22! Not a lot for a decent gazebo.

If you go to a show you would see lots of wrecked gazebos etc, all people trying to save some money but basically throwing money away. You have to be rich to afford to buy cheap.

For £100-120 you can get a Coleman event shelter 4.5 x 4.5m Throw away the crappy pegs and get some decent pegs.

Getting windy? Use a decent ground peg and extra guys from centre of frame and top of leg frame joints. Really windy? Have made a 1 m webbing square with 4 long webbing straps. Throw that over the top and ratchet down then it will not start to lift.

Brendan
Post #252549 20th Jul 2013 10:47am
K9F

borderterrier wrote:
what a great creation Very Happy

Thank you....It has evolved into 'my space' where I am allowed to display all my sentimental junk I am not allowed to keep in the house from the fossils, Hercules gunship shells to the anchor myself and BPman tried initially to salvage off Kimmeridge beach one Xmas eve (went back Boxing Day with eadequate tooling to get it). It is well worth building your own. Mine even gets used for barbequeing in the Winter months. Am even considering the addition of a woodburner perhaps?

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #252550 20th Jul 2013 10:56am
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Unnecessary quote removed

A wood burner sound perfect! Best of luck. Very Happy
Post #252551 20th Jul 2013 11:10am
Bows

Wales 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
Another vote for the coleman event shelter, great piece of kit. Khyam also make a similar day shelter but thats another step up the pricing scale. You will see more and more coleman event shelters being used by traders at Land rover shows, these guys use gazeebo style shelters regularly and the colemans popularity amongst them must count for something, paid 127 for mine. not bad.
Post #252564 20th Jul 2013 1:06pm
ken

United Kingdom 
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Yep DIY SOLUTION the way forward

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #252577 20th Jul 2013 2:00pm
ken

United Kingdom 
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #252584 20th Jul 2013 2:27pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
I've got a Sun Leisure pop up gazebo, got it at the classic car show last year. Brilliantly made!
http://www.sun-leisure.com/ An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #252611 20th Jul 2013 5:06pm
Wangers

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Aintree Green
I would recommend that if it is a collapsable one that you want ehn speak to your local marquee hire comapny. A lot of these guys are busy from April to Feb so have down time in Feb / Mar.

In this time they will buy all their new gazeebo's and marquees in and ship out the old ones.

yes they are second hand, but if they are of any credability they will let you choose best frame / roof / sides etc and although used quite a bit, the base models they have will be around the £1400 mark new - and may be down to £300 for you a year later.

yes no warrently or returns but as a company we hired from local guys for 3 years, then when we enquired about buying we got their old ones for £450 each. Soo good were they that i dropped the company order by one, and nabbed one myself - turned out as a freeby.

so, local hire company, speak to them nicely and they'll probs be happy to have an exit stratergy for them.

Thus get top quality, high end uber expensive professional one, for a nibble of the origial cost.
Post #252625 20th Jul 2013 5:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
@K9F
looks lovely - I want one (brendan are you listening?)
Only trouble where we live it is the constant biting wind that that is the problem not the sun, tho we have had about 3 days in the last fortnight with not even a breath of wind.
Barbara
Post #252635 20th Jul 2013 7:33pm
K9F

Thanks Barbara,

Point Brendan in the direction of a decent reclamation yard and price up the top grade of railway sleepers. I used old ones for the uprights and new untreated ones for the lower crossmembers as I didn't want anyone getting creosote or tar on their clobber by leaning on them. I reckon the gazebo will still be stood long after the house has gone and the National Trust will be charging entrance.....

Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #252664 20th Jul 2013 9:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1