↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > dogs vs kids
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
dogs vs kids
Whilst it is getting better i really am at a loss as to why so many visitor attractions don't let dogs in. On the balance of observation my dog is quieter,cleaner, better behaved, less destructive and less of a hand full than the majority of little tarquins and waynetta's that attend such things yet my dog has to stay outside. I can almost get cafes and restaurants but where the food is consumed sat quietly under my table is not the same as drooling into a pan in the kitchen. Why am i seemingly penalized for having resisted the urge to fill my life with kids when my dog is just as much a part of my life as a sprog. I don't get it i really don't. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #251956 17th Jul 2013 7:37pm
lukev01

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I can see this heading wildly off topic......let's start it off with....

Dogs are better than children because:

1. Dogs can be ready to leave the house in 5 seconds flat.

2. Dogs love nap time

3. Dogs don’t need their own cell phone

4. Dogs don't care if the peas touched the mashed potatoes.

5. Dogs can be housetrained in 3 months

6. Dogs don’t have to have the latest fashions 1970 Series 2A 88"
Post #251966 17th Jul 2013 8:17pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Rolling with laughter Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #251971 17th Jul 2013 8:27pm
Romadog

Good point !

I was in a posh retaurant in France this week where a family walked in with their chocolate lab. The dog was well behaved and lay down quietly straight away. The waitress then came out with a porcelain dish with water for the dog !
I think it depends on the dog and the discretion of the proprietor.
Post #251975 17th Jul 2013 8:32pm
f15hie

England 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
And remember that old adage that

A dog is just not for christmas with luck and careful planning you can make it stretch to sandwiches and a salad on boxing day Smile

Ouch my missus has just read this over my shoulder and whacked me! She is now reassuring our pooch Smile

Her quote

A house is just a house but with a dog its a home:)
Post #251979 17th Jul 2013 8:46pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Have neither. Buy toys for yourself.
Post #252005 17th Jul 2013 10:00pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Because, generally speaking, children are less likely to crap on the floor and bite people. They also encourage parents to spend more than dogs do. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #252009 17th Jul 2013 10:13pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
No the kids just do on the tables instead. Whistle That along with screaming all day long ruining a day out for everyone within the vicinity.
I think the main reason dogs have been stopped is the whole minority vs majority thing again. One idiot lets their dog run rampage (many parents do the same with kids much more) and everyone else has to loose out through a couple of people. Dogs on leads won't do any harm to anything or anyone but it's the ...... minority few that just walk about not even caring where their dog has gone or what they are doing on no lead at all that gets me! Evil or Very Mad Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽ï¸ðŸ›¢ï¸ðŸ‘¨â€ðŸ”§ðŸ§°âš™ï¸ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #252011 17th Jul 2013 10:20pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I agree.

Have a choc lab. Me and the wife would gladly join the national trust, as we like historic places, but they have a virtually no-dog policy everywhere, apart from about 20 square feet of their carparks.

Visited Dyhram park near Brizzle last year... 600 acres of deer park. didn't see one deer... no dogs allowed.

Go and visit a private place, like Eastnor castle, and you can takes dogs inside the house! chatting to one of the stewards there, they rekcon they have more problems with snivelling brats than dogs.

And lets be honest, the kind of person who will visit a historic house isn't going to be a chav with a staffy (no disrepect to staffies, they can't help who's on the other end of the lead) on 2 feet of chain and a can of special brew.
Post #252025 17th Jul 2013 10:37pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I'm sure that all of the dogs owned by Def2 members are perfectly behaved and never drool, bark, crap or bite but ultimately, children, whether snivelling or not, are people whilst dogs are only animals. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #252033 17th Jul 2013 10:47pm
richuk

United Kingdom 
We allow dogs into our bar on our campsite. However there is a significant minority of owners who do not consider that our rules apply to them. They are quite simple rules really. 1, Must be kept on a lead. 2. Must not annoy other guests or their dogs. 3, Must not be fed titbits at the tables. 4, must stay on the floor and not on laps or furniture. Thats it, these rules are quite clearly posted in the entrance to the bar and again inside, but you can guarantee that someone will choose to ignore them at least 3 nights a week. Primarily the one about feeding them and unbelievably to me the one about them staying on the floor! People sit their dog on the next chair to them, where after they have gone someone else is going to be sitting.
Also, but not on our rules is that I have yet to find children chewing the legs of the furniture, but I'm sure that moment will come one day.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a dog lover myself, but in my opinion certain situations just require polite protocol. Rich

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat
Post #252038 17th Jul 2013 11:04pm
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I have 3 dogs and 2 kids and all come highly recommended! No admittance for dogs reads as no admittance to the remainder of the (human) family. Dog
Post #252039 17th Jul 2013 11:05pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
+1

minus one of the kids, though... Wink
Post #252042 17th Jul 2013 11:09pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Nine dogs two Kids can't complain as the two kids look after my blind wife and pick up after nine dogs Thumbs Up
Post #252045 17th Jul 2013 11:44pm
Thor

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
I'm sure that all of the dogs owned by Def2 members are perfectly behaved and never drool, bark, crap or bite but ultimately, children, whether snivelling or not, are people whilst dogs are only animals.

Whilst Tank is well behaved etc, we do have issues with drool. We take him to the local pubs etc with us and we have a 'drool rag' to mop his face every 34 seconds or so. But only a couple of people he meets gets a 'I met Tank badge' aka slobber on the thigh!

Like most above, if we go out for a family day then it's all 4 of us (3 x muggles and Tank) but its not the end of the world if he has to stay at home. It's much easier when we don't take him as we always get stopped and asked what breed etc he is or is he 'Hooch' from the film. Takes us ages to walk anywhere!!

I'd rather take the dog than the kid.......fortunately the misses never looks at the forum!!! Laughing Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #252052 18th Jul 2013 6:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>