↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Pressure Washers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Pressure Washers
Can anyone reccommend and decent pressure washers?

Been helping out on a farm and the Landy is covered in muck (and almost as bad inside), desperatly in need of a wash and its been a few weeks since the chassis had a good blast, and I'm fed up of spending £10+ per visit to the jet wash at the petrol station....

We have two Karcher washers in the garage, both just over a year old, and both broken, one of which is supposedly a heavy duty one! Always thought they were pretty good but don't seem to have much luck with them, so I'm a bit reluctant to get another one.

W
Post #24886 22nd Feb 2010 8:49pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Karcher For Me!
I've owned a small model Karcher since 1996. Never let me down not even had to replace the seals and still provides me with excellent service. The again it's mine and I look after it by ensuring there's no water left in it whilst it's stored and wipe it down after use.
I'd buy another without hesitation. Buy your own and look after it may be the solution.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #24908 23rd Feb 2010 8:42am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Karcher are very good when they're working but finding spares and/or someone to repair them is virtually impossible.
The company never answers emails.
Post #24915 23rd Feb 2010 10:12am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
warren

Think that may have to be the case, get one and make sure no one else uses it. People don't seem to treat them right if they've not paid for it themselves.

Any reccommendations on the best place to buy from?
Post #24923 23rd Feb 2010 11:45am
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Any big DIY store or screwfix b&q are good if it go's wrong they will replace it NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #24928 23rd Feb 2010 12:18pm
warren

Cheers. Will give B&Q a go this weekend.

Although theres no rush anymore, waiting for LR Assistance to take it the Landy away... Rolling Eyes
Post #24937 23rd Feb 2010 1:48pm
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
warren wrote:
waiting for LR Assistance to take it the Landy away... Rolling Eyes

What's the problem, Warren?
Post #24943 23rd Feb 2010 3:06pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Google Schmoogle!
"People don't seem to treat them right if they've not paid for it themselves." Damn right! Thumbs Up

Friends are a pain in the 4r5e! All they want is to loan my mower in the Summer! Rolling with laughter Only joking!

Couple of the best linky thingys for you after Googling 'cheap Karcher pressure washers' 263,000 results in 0.29 seconds how good is that?

Thumbs Up

http://direct.tesco.com/q/N.1999180/Nr.99....ltSort.y=8

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/pressure-washers.asp If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #24948 23rd Feb 2010 4:15pm
warren

110SEB wrote:

What's the problem, Warren?

Power steering fluid thought it would be better sprayed all over the engine bay... Luckily just as I was passing home!

Phoned LRA and they said they'd send someone to pick it up, but phoned back to tell me there was a 'mobile engineer' in the area and could he have a look first. Said yes, and he turned up 15 mins later. Turned out to be a hose that at worked its way loose. Damn hose.... Wink

Within an hour and a half of me phoning them I was mobile again! Bloody good service, especially compared to what my dads getting with his immobile Grand Cherokee at the moment, but thats another story.

K9F wrote:
Couple of the best linky thingys for you after Googling 'cheap Karcher pressure washers' 263,000 results in 0.29 seconds how good is that?

Cheers for the links! Was on my iphone which has also decided to play funny Censored this afternoon.... Technology eh?
Post #24957 23rd Feb 2010 7:42pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
I'm a bit reluctant to use high pressure washers - even though we have one in work for the trucks. First, it can knock the polish off, second, if you have the Defender waxoyled then the pressure and heat may impair the coating, and finally it can force salt etc into nooks and crannies. So, I rarely use the pressure wash and if i do I stand way back. Far more preferable, is using a Gardena type brush where the water dribbles through the soft brush to get the salt and muck off, and then using a cold water pistol to do underneath.
Post #24974 23rd Feb 2010 10:38pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
warren wrote:

Power steering fluid thought it would be better sprayed all over the engine bay... Luckily just as I was passing home!

Phoned LRA and they said they'd send someone to pick it up, but phoned back to tell me there was a 'mobile engineer' in the area and could he have a look first. Said yes, and he turned up 15 mins later. Turned out to be a hose that at worked its way loose. Damn hose.... Wink

I had exactly the same problem. The hose worked loose - the LRA chap said he'd never heard of that before. However, mine is starting to make the same noise that it did before at full lock (whooshing and hissing) so I need to check it again. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #24988 24th Feb 2010 8:12am
warren

alantd wrote:
...mine is starting to make the same noise that it did before at full lock (whooshing and hissing)...

Thats exactly what mine did about 10 minutes before it went trying to get out of a tight car park. Its always done it from new just seemed a bit louder the last time it did it before it went...
Post #25022 24th Feb 2010 12:27pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
warren wrote:
alantd wrote:
...mine is starting to make the same noise that it did before at full lock (whooshing and hissing)...

Thats exactly what mine did about 10 minutes before it went trying to get out of a tight car park. Its always done it from new just seemed a bit louder the last time it did it before it went...

Yup exactly. Seemed to get louder then went. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #25024 24th Feb 2010 1:07pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Laurie wrote:
Karcher are very good when they're working but finding spares and/or someone to repair them is virtually impossible.
The company never answers emails.

i have found the opposite.

i bought a second hand Karcher and its been OK so far. any problems i have had and i have left emails with the Karcher hotline/website and they have phoned me back and sorted them. Most pressure washer places deal in karcher and will have or can get spares for them. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #25066 24th Feb 2010 11:20pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
peanutbob wrote:
Far more preferable, is using a Gardena type brush where the water dribbles through the soft brush to get the salt and muck off, and then using a cold water pistol to do underneath.

would take a while after a challenge with a garden hose!

as you say just dont put the nozzle too close or have it too hot. 60 deg works well. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #25067 24th Feb 2010 11:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1