Home > Puma (Tdci) > Weird Temperature issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I bought one of the rugged guide winch and wade blankets
see here on ebay

Does a pretty good job of keeping temperature up and getting up to temp faster. Has the added advantage of other uses too (although a bit more pricey than peanutbob's mat Wink )[/url][/url] One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #21556 8th Jan 2010 10:22am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
if in slow traffic with the fan on 1 and heater on max at around 0Deg or lower mine drops to 1/2way between horizontal and the white line. if its left on tickover it goes down all the way.

I thought and still do think this is to be expected. find me a modern vehicle that doesnt do that and that doesnt have an aux FBH. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #21583 8th Jan 2010 2:04pm
Fandango

Jersey 
alantd wrote:
see here on ebay

Does a pretty good job of keeping temperature up and getting up to temp faster. Has the added advantage of other uses too (although a bit more pricey than peanutbob's mat Wink )[/url][/url]

Alantd, Looks good, how does it fit to the front? Does it involve drilling & screwing? I'm not sure I can bring myself to do that yet as it's only 3 months old!! ----------
2021 D250 90 X-Dynamic HSE
2020 IPace - Gone
2015 RRS - Gone
2011 Disco 4 - long gone
2009 TDCi 90 CSW - long long gone
Post #21588 8th Jan 2010 2:33pm
alantd

Fandango wrote:
alantd wrote:
see here on ebay

Does a pretty good job of keeping temperature up and getting up to temp faster. Has the added advantage of other uses too (although a bit more pricey than peanutbob's mat Wink )[/url][/url]

Alantd, Looks good, how does it fit to the front? Does it involve drilling & screwing? I'm not sure I can bring myself to do that yet as it's only 3 months old!!

No drilling. There are 4 screws on the leading edge of the bonnet that hold the slam plate. You just take them out (self tappers) and reattach them through the eyelets in the blanket collar. The main blanket then just velro's on and off.

The only design flaw in my opinion is that I'm pretty sure that the collar would flat about a bit at speed so I tucked it back on itself, under the bonnet before I shut it. In doing so, one of the webbing attachments fouls the bonnet mechanism slightly and will get damaged over time with repeated opening and shutting. That said, I've not spent much time looking at a workaround so I'm sure it'll be easy to resolve.

Good piece of kit I reckon. I just secure it to the grille with bungees (I don't have a winch or A-bar to tuck it behind). If you have front spots, you'd have to route the wiring through the bottom of the grille so as not to interfere with it. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
Post #22076 14th Jan 2010 11:18am
alantd

Just found a real world issue with this cooling problem.

I was out with the response team at the weekend - taking nurses on district rounds. They'd go into the houses to do their thing and I'd wait for them outside. Even with the engine running, the temperature of the engine quickly dropped and the heater output fell away.

If they were more than about 20 minutes, I was left sat in a freezing cold Defender. Good to know that it wouldn't overheat sat still for a day, using the Power Take Off in the desert but I was freezing my nuts off after a few hours work Smile

Eberspacher, here I come! One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
Post #22077 14th Jan 2010 11:21am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Ignoring for winching and water into engine benefits - im not sure if this blanket is going to solve the problem - personally i dont think its a cooling issue in the way blocking the radiator is going to solve...it would seem anyway. Mike
Post #22108 14th Jan 2010 6:05pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Efficient diesel engine I reckon Thumbs Up Look at the disco3, it needs a fuel burning heater to keep the engine up to temp. Obviously when developing the Puma LR said fookem they dont need a fuel burning heater they wear woolly underpants.
Post #22115 14th Jan 2010 6:29pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Just make sure you carry a warm woolly jumper Thumbs Up

Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #22121 14th Jan 2010 7:05pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
alantd wrote:
I was out with the response team at the weekend - taking nurses on district rounds. They'd go into the houses to do their thing and I'd wait for them outside. Even with the engine running, the temperature of the engine quickly dropped and the heater output fell away.

If they were more than about 20 minutes, I was left sat in a freezing cold Defender.

I did same last week - engine off, puffer jacket on, & flask of hot coffee was the cheapskate solution for me!
Post #22124 14th Jan 2010 8:08pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
mse wrote:
Ignoring for winching and water into engine benefits - im not sure if this blanket is going to solve the problem - personally i dont think its a cooling issue in the way blocking the radiator is going to solve...it would seem anyway.

The 300 Tdi and Td5 are the same problem in extreme cold weather. This is why the Army use radiator Muffs on all its winterised vehicles and if you go places like Canada, Falklands etc they all have Rad Muffs on during the winter months.

The problem with the viscous fan is that it is always spinning therefore even though the thermostat has the water flow turned off to the radiator it is still blowing -15 DegC air along the engine block cooling it down.

Glyn
Post #22125 14th Jan 2010 8:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123