↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Puma EGR valve contamination.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
CyberCharlie

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Java Black
How difficult is to replace it? I am quite good with DIY but i have very little experience with engines. The mechanic quoted some 250 pounds for parts and labour...
Post #218680 13th Mar 2013 5:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
All you will need is a Diagnostic tool to clear and DTC's and MIL light. (You may have neither at the moment if so you won't need the diagnostic too)
You will however need the appropriate section in the workshop manual:

Click image to enlarge

And a Torque wrench to tighten the bolts to the correct NM Torque. (20 roughly) other than that it's a case of having patience as it's a tight fit but possible. Also be sure to disconnect the battery before starting and work or removing the EGR electrical plug.
Removed EGR:

Click image to enlarge

New EGR(Slightly different shape newer type)[You will also need the two new gaskets]:

Click image to enlarge

New EGR vales available from LR I'd recommend Neil @ Shukers LR parts or Dan @ Duckworthparts. Both are excellent.
Not a difficult job but time consuming and difficult access hence garage charges. Perfectly possible though and worth it for the costs saved IMO. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #218692 13th Mar 2013 6:43pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Personally I myself bought a Diagnostic tool and Torque wrench as I didn't have either and did it myself saving 150 if I remember correctly. I also bought from Neil @ Shukers parts as he gave me the best price on the market. If you'd like his E-mail please contact me via PM. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #218693 13th Mar 2013 6:46pm
CyberCharlie

thanks guys i'll give it a try

Ciao Smile
Post #218940 14th Mar 2013 11:15am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
are there known issues similar or otherwise with the new type egr valve Very Happy

or is it all sorted now?
Post #218988 14th Mar 2013 2:49pm
CyberCharlie

I have stuck my head under the bonnet to take a look at where the valve is... sure there is an awful lot of stuff between me and the EGR valve bolts. Do i have to remove some parts to access it or is it possible to take the thing apart directly?
Post #219040 14th Mar 2013 6:49pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I removed nothing except for moving the axle breathers out of the way. That's the part that's difficult about changing the EGR it's the access to the bolts. there are four in total. One of the lower bolts is best acessed from underneath. But as I said it is a pain. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #219086 14th Mar 2013 8:42pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Oh forgot to mention. You will of course have to remove the EGR electrical plug as I mentioned before. Other than that and moving the axle breathers away that's about it. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #219087 14th Mar 2013 8:43pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Like Charlie says - it looks quite daunting Shocked
How you did it, God only knows Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #219092 14th Mar 2013 8:54pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
ZeDefender wrote:
How you did it, God only knows Thumbs Up

Perseverance Wink Oh and determination. It helps with getting the old one off to think how much the **** cost you by packing up and forcing you to buy a new one in the first place.. Whistle Rolling with laughter Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #219098 14th Mar 2013 9:04pm
max peck

United Arab Emirates 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Thanks Pete,

If you and bell-auto-services ever come up with a way of illiminating the whole system i would certainly be a customer.

The whole design concept of the EGR on the Puma engine is Censored (compared to none at all or the simple blankable system on the TD5 particularly for us non-european drivers).

I live in the middle east where the truck runs on low sulphur diesel as opposed to ultra low that you have in europe (many many times more sulphur). As a consequence the oil ,turbo, valves and crankcase are full of soot. No doubt the EGR valve is too (mine sticks open and shut too with all the usual fault codes). Furthermore i operate the truck in temperatures above 50 degrees celsius at times and cooling is a big issue. Its nonsence that the bloody EGR dumps heat into the already struggling cooling system through its cooler.

I would love to be able to remove the valve and cooler, bypass or blank them off neatly and reprogram the ECU to ignore the bloody EGR electrical connector input.

As an aside: Perhaps just regular cleaning of the EGR as opposed to buying a new one would keep it sticking?

Happy trails Guys.
Post #220517 19th Mar 2013 9:41pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
You do have 3 possibilities (in order of cost):
1) Unplug the EGR valve and ignore the orange light (or clear it every 3 cycles with an OBD tool)
2) Fit a blanking plate with the correct sized hole so most of the exhaust gasses are stopped but the MIL doesn't go on
3) Get a remap from e.g. Pete with the EGR switched off (do this whilst the valve still closes...)
4) Get your own supply of better fuel.
Simples Wink Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #220522 19th Mar 2013 9:55pm
nihwrd

EGR Change
Changed mine this weekend. Like many have said, not a technically demanding task (its only 4 bolts), but it is fiddly and time consuming, and I speak as a Sea King helicopter engineer. The most frustrating thing was dropping the bolts (often) and ten scrabbling around under the Landy to find them.

Perseverance and patience is the key!

Nick
Post #220529 19th Mar 2013 10:11pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Re: EGR Change
nihwrd wrote:
The most frustrating thing was dropping the bolts (often) and ten scrabbling around under the Landy to find them.

Perseverance and patience is the key!

Nick

You can say that again. Laughing Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #220531 19th Mar 2013 10:14pm
MD5

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Interesting discussion. Thanks to Pete for sharing his knowledge.
Post #220959 21st Mar 2013 8:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123