↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear Work Lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
farmer giles wrote:
i did see an extended number plate lamp fitting especially designed for mounting a worklamp on (for softtops, double cabs, etc) in LRO recently.
i will try and find out more details Thumbs Up

Believe this is what you mean:
http://www.farcorners.co.uk/products-page/...unt-point/

Seems a good idea, but it may be a bit too low to shine down onto certain things, if you get what I mean. An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #171115 26th Sep 2012 8:39pm
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
thats it gum - i quite agree about the amount of light spread in relation to the mounting height but i'm sure it will fulfill some folks needs. Thumbs Up
Post #171202 27th Sep 2012 8:39am
Peter

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
If you want to keep a low profile, check these flood lights I fitted from Rigid Industries.

Click image to enlarge

The rest of the photo's are here:

https://www.defender2.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=958

Cheers

Peter
Post #172287 30th Sep 2012 11:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
farmer giles

hi peter,
those lights look excellent Thumbs Up could you advise approx how much they cost?
Post #172324 1st Oct 2012 9:10am
leeds

United Kingdom 
There are literally a choice of thousands of lights that could be mounted on the rear of a Defender.

So rather then say use this one lets consider a few ideas.

Brief or on for long periods?

Halogen or LED?

Light output?

Current draw?

Internal or external mounted?

Fixed light or adjustable light?

High or low mounted?

If only on for brief periods of time, i.e. for reversing then halogen lights could be worth considering as there are are some extremely cheap H3 lights out.

If for long periods of time especially with engine off then LED lamps should be considered.

Light output? Most halogen lights do not give light output nor do the cheap LED.

How much light is required? Depends what you want to do? For low light camping purposes something (IMO) region og 500-1,000 lumens will be fine. Reasonable light output we have two 900 lumen lights on the back of ours.

Current draw of standard 55 watt halogn would be about 4.5 amps. A good 900 lumen LED light would draw about 0.8 amps.

[Edited to add] 55 watt halogen probably best with relay. Think switches are rated at 2-3 amps. [/edit]

Internal or external mounted. Internal makes wiring easier however limits position of light, might have problems with reflections and also getting a good mounting point.

Fixed or adjustable lights. If fixed then severely limit the type of use, ie. not able to swing light to side to follow a wall when reversing.

High or low mount?

High adjustable light allows light to be pointed sideways/downwards etc. Also means when looking at back of vehicle not 'blinded' by the light especially if a high output one.

If you have a roof rack good high level position of light able to take cabling along rack down RAI or down the ladder

Not too difficult to drill a bolt out so you could take wire straight into interior of vehicle or use a marine grade panel connector.

Just a few things to consider.

Brendan

Last edited by leeds on 1st Oct 2012 12:23pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #172358 1st Oct 2012 10:34am
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Good summary Brendan Thumbs Up Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #172382 1st Oct 2012 12:16pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Peter - I assume then with those as the light body is actually true to the Defender body that the LED's are slightly angled down? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #172384 1st Oct 2012 12:24pm
farmer giles

custom90steve wrote:
Peter - I assume then with those as the light body is actually true to the Defender body that the LED's are slightly angled down?

that thought crossed my mind steve; but if you have a look at the rest of peters pictures linked on his post you can see that the spread of light is extremely good for close work jobs. (ie not a spotlight for bunny shooting tasks).

i suppose you could always shim or pack out the upper section of the fitting if you wanted more downward light?
Post #172396 1st Oct 2012 12:40pm
Peter

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Nope they have to be mounted on a flat surface. Yes you could tilt them with a split shim, or do what I do
And act as the deflector ! They are diffused. So light is spread out. They have others on their range. But thought these look smart and only came out 3 months ago. Speak to Mikes2005 on rigid industries topic on this mod category. About cost. BTW they are ip68 not ip67 that let water or condensation in. You do have to cut hole in roof though, but as have county interior, the heat sink is well hidden. Look well smart and discreet.

Low 2.5 amp draw. Have had 110 watt work lamp in past but with a metre on battery can see it draining very quickly. You can just leave these on - off road of course.

Not cheap to buy, then again not rubbish !! As rugged as vehicle they are fitted to.
Easily see across a 2 acre field BTW.
Post #172574 1st Oct 2012 9:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123